Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411620 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 07:02:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralworking on 2 games at once
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: working on 2 games at once  (Read 7709 times)
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« on: April 28, 2007, 11:56:24 AM »

hey guys.
id very much appreciate it if some of you could share their experiences of working on 2 project at once.

im pretty sure its not recomended, but im also pretty sure i can pull it off.
im cocky like that.

ill be doing design and art on both project.
one of which ill be doing design with my partner, heather.
the other im alone.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 04:11:15 PM »

(thinks this thread should be merged with the drugs thread)

Wink

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 05:10:32 PM »

Fuck it. Go for it. But whichever takes off faster, drop the other one.

You're OK, because it sounds like they're both starting at the same time. Start worrying when you start new projects before the one you're on has finished.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 08:17:48 PM »

the fact that your only doing art and design and not everything makes it sound somewhat feasible, but nothing I'd want to attempt. I find that I have to stop myself from even thinking about future games, lest be tempted to cheat on my current love.

I'd say focus more on the one you're working with a partner on, cause it would suck to bring you both down if it didn't work out.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 04:31:51 AM »

Hello there!
I've worked on numerous project at once. I'm dong it right now actualy.
I'm workin' as a pixel artist for a console game project, I'm taking care of coding/design/art for a personal game, I'm drawing a monthly comic and working on Warcraft 3 custom maps. If you would've asked the question last month I would've told you that I was also finishing another console project, working as artist and designer but the project was recenlty finished.

It's not very difficult to do all things at once but you have to know your priorities. You can't do everything at once, even if you want to. You have to make sure you know what's more important to your eyes and schedule your time accordingly.

Like mentionned in earlier posts, anything you're doing with someone else should be in your top priority because, and I'm talking out of experience here, when a member of a team doesn't care much about what he/she's doing, it demotivates the others and may lead to a crash of the project. Even if all members of the team are highly motivated, it's going to make the project fail or will result in the abolition of the unmotivated member.

Another thing: personal projects tend to be easily thrown in a drawer. You probably work/go to school (which is as time consuming) and you probably have a family and friends. You probably have girlfriend/boyfriend you wanna hang out with sometimes too. Working on side projects means you have to schedule when your working and when you're socializing. The more projects you have, the more you're dividing the time you can spend on one project, leading to less palpable progress. And of course, less palpable progress leads to demotivation, leading to the ditching of one or all projects. And sometimes, it will affect you psychologivaly, making you think you can't achieve anything or that you're not goog enough (I'm not kidding: I've seen it happen).

It's not about how good you are or how you are talented. It's all about maturity and discipline. You see, I mentionned everything I do at the same time at the beginning of my post but I don't do everything all at once. every week, I spend a couple hours working for the pixel art project. Every 2 weeks, instead of working on the project I work on my personal game. I take one week of the month off from all projects to write and illustrate my monthly comic. Once every 2 months or when I have some sudden inspiration, I work on my warcraft 3 map. And, whenever I get ideas for any projects, I write them down in a note pad. This way, when I start working back on a project, I have fresh stuff to work on and I'm not spending time thinking baout it but actually doing some stuff on it.

I make sure I spend time with my girlfriend too. She supports me in what I do. If I did not have her, I would simply go insane (some say less insane but that's another story Tongue). I make sure I spend all the time possible with her and my firends. I also try to entertain myslef accordingly. Too much work doesn't help imagination which is the key to game and graphic design.

So anyway, good luck with your projects!
Have a good time doing them and remember, fun before labor and one finished project is worth a dozen half-finished.

Take care!
Guert

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »

I've tried it, it didn't turn out too well. I'm sticking at one at a time for now, but one day I may try two at a time again.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »

From my experience, it's good to focus on one project and have some little ones on the side.  Here's the breakdown of how feasible it is for you:

Start with 80% chance for completion of a project:

-Working on X other projects?  Subtract X * 10%

-Have you completed a game before?  Yes +20%, No -20%

-For every game you've completed, add 5% for a minor project (< 1 year development time) and 10% for a major project (> 1 year).

-Now subtract 5% for every month this game will take you to make.

-If you're working over the internet, subtract 20%.

Now, keep in mind that this doesn't take into account a lot of other important factors, such as how many people you're working with and who you're working with.  Also keep in mind that I just pulled this completely out of my ass. Tongue
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 06:53:55 PM »

That means I have a 110% chance to complete my next game, alright!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 08:42:09 PM »

I'm over 100% using that too. I think there should be some type of subtraction for games which a person started but didn't finish (then I'd be less than 100% again for sure).

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »

I'm in the negative.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 04:51:02 AM »

If its online, subtract:

20% for trying to communicate over the internet (typing to explain concepts is slow)

another 5% for each time you inevitably miscommunicate over the internet

50% when your co-workers start to hate you, because of miscommunication over the internet

200% when you start drinking to cope with the fact that there is no team anymore

Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 04:53:02 AM by Alec » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 05:07:12 AM »

I'm in the negative.

That means you have a better chance of completing the game if you never even start.

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 09:50:58 AM »

Start with 80% chance for completion of a project:
-Working on X other projects?  Subtract X * 10%
-Have you completed a game before?  Yes +20%, No -20%
-For every game you've completed, add 5% for a minor project (< 1 year development time) and 10% for a major project (> 1 year).
-Now subtract 5% for every month this game will take you to make.
-If you're working over the internet, subtract 20%.
80%-50%-20%-60% =.... -50% chance of suceess... I doomed ^_^

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »

dudes im drunk right now lol

I love you.  Grin

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 03:37:25 PM »

Forgot my sarcasm tags. Undecided They should really come built in with Firefox.
(tbh, I thought the smiley would cover it)

hugs Derek and Brandon

I love you guys! Cry

Time to make out!!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 03:50:45 PM »

(tbh, I thought the smiley would cover it)

Oh, it totally did!

MAKE OUT TIIIEEMMM  Kiss

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »

omg three hot men alone in a house

working on games

my glasses are fogging upppp

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 04:12:42 PM »

omg three hot men alone in a house

working on games

don't forget "in matching bathrobes" Kiss

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 04:47:58 PM »

I make it a point to work on at least 5 or 6 projects at once, adding a new one every two or 3 weeks.
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 05:28:48 PM »

Sometimes I even work on two projects at the exact same time; I type with my left hand on one keyboard and my right hand on another. And thats not even the amazing part, both projects are coded in two different languages.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic