Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:57:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323191 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1080 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:34 AM »

Indeed. The moonman clones are pretty cool. Are they enemies, or allies? It would be cool if you could nudge them over to your side somehow.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:23:11 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Skyrise
Level 0

Newbie indie dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: October 23, 2012, 07:31:38 AM »

more misc mockery..

Love it! Great retro-gameboy style! Smiley

Cofounder of MixedBag
Twitter:@MixedBagGames
Launched: Futuridium EP Deluxe for PS4 / PSVita
Working on: forma.8
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: October 23, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

thx dudes, @solarlune: i think they are enemies. Smiley

Update: Moar prototyping...

one-way platforms, fixed step physics with accumulator, rendering with interpolation

working ladders and pickup itms

pickups have a large circle sensor, when the player overlaps it it signifies a pickup

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 24, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »

some mob mockups: moonman, black spider, blob, bat, orange spider, vampire bat, wood spider, spikey, waterman, shrike, 1000 eyes, wooden tsinoy, dead king, moonman clones

Very cool stuff. The dead king looks like a hard boss, maybe...

Indeed. The moonman clones are pretty cool. Are they enemies, or allies? It would be cool if you could nudge them over to your side somehow.

I think would be cool if you could clone yourself and tell your clones to make something.

more misc mockery..

MM looks outstanding on these pictures!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: October 25, 2012, 08:34:24 AM »

I think would be cool if you could clone yourself and tell your clones to make something.

À la Abed's programmable children:

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:06 PM »

À la Abed's programmable children:

Yeah, something like that  Giggle

Side note: the children from that video reminds me Lemmings.  Shocked

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: October 25, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »

@rek, lol that's great Tongue

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: October 28, 2012, 10:26:25 PM »

Update: First bit of box2d code is in moonman now, the tiles and moonman are all separate box2d bodies. There is no optimisation (with collecting tiles into groups etc.), but it's running fairly fast at ~8ms per frame. At an average of 8ms per frame it takes about 50% of an optimal (60fps) frame's cpu, which seems ok for now.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1088 on: October 29, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »

5 minute drawing challenge accepted!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1089 on: October 29, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »

Now you are just showing off with your fancy frame time percentage chart..  Corny Laugh
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1090 on: October 29, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

Now you are just showing off with your fancy frame time percentage chart..  Corny Laugh

Its definitely worth a few hours effort to build a simpler profiler to make sure your subsystems aren't being too greedy! :D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1091 on: October 29, 2012, 06:39:08 PM »

Update misc bugfixes to do with one way platforms, got the basic box2d debug drawing working in mm

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1092 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:50 PM »

Update: Sped up the physics by ~400% by grouping tiles into 4x4 clusters where possible. I'll probably also group 2x2 clusters to reduce the tree size even further. A simple but effective optimisation! Well, hello there!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1093 on: October 30, 2012, 12:11:46 AM »

Couldn't you treat the collision blocks as horizontal strips (until a block in them is changed)? Like using RLE on the collision blocks. Would that help?
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: October 30, 2012, 12:29:05 AM »

Instantly jealous of your built-in profiler. I should invest the time to make one of those too. It is also really interesting to see your work with box2d not only because it is really cool but also because I too was once working with box2d. I eventually decided against it but it is great to see you getting it working. Keep up the good work! :D

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: October 30, 2012, 12:55:08 AM »

Update: Sped up the physics by ~400% by grouping tiles into 4x4 clusters where possible. I'll probably also group 2x2 clusters to reduce the tree size even further. A simple but effective optimisation! Well, hello there!

To make it run on my computer, you'll need to speed it up by 40000%...  Shrug
I'm interested on these box2d experiments, anyawy.  Addicted

Oh, and how is going the game's optimization? And the Vertex dunno what?  Have you found a solution for it?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: October 30, 2012, 12:13:21 PM »

Why stop there?
I see few a spots for 8x8 clusters, and possibly even larger!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1097 on: October 30, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »

Cheers for the comments!

@hm Yeh I could do that too. Smiley

@jmc Haven't see you around for a while, how's Crea going? Seems your devlog stopped since you got the Kickstarter funding .... I guess your getting actual work done then! Wink

@tcng Yeh, I'm sorry, this is not going to be good for older machines. Sad I'll still build a mac version at some stage, but optimising for older machines will have to wait a while.

@dd Whenever the ground is modified by mining or building I have to change the physics structures, so if there's a 64x64 physics block for instance, and I mine off the corner, I have to destroy the 64x64 physics block and create the new ones. So, yeh, there's an upper limit on what is the most efficient max size physics block.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1098 on: October 30, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »

Sounds interesting. It looks like a good trade-off between creating new blocks constantly and creating them only when necessary is... Well, good. Keep up development!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1099 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53:38 PM »

I've been quietly lurking on the devlog forums for the last two months. Definitely keeping busy with development. I'll start updating my devlog again soon...

Anyways, I was looking at your box2d debug draw. Another optimization you could make is clump up the passthrough platforms (going horizontally). Not as big of a win as the 2x2 tile clusters would give you but still might make a difference since you have lots of them.

I agree that you probably don't want to go above 4x4 clusters. Biggest gains are from 2x2 and 4x4 for sure.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic