Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:24:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323262 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2340 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:40 PM »

Update: My RSI flared up this week, and on top of that I got a cold, and so I made limited progress.

Some of the things I did include:
  • Recoloured and redesigned some of the forest plants to match the new colour scheme. They are supposed to stand out less, but still be interesting and somewhat alien. (See image 1)
  • Added the dropshadow functionality back in. Foreground blocks drop a shadow onto bg blocks and sprites. And sprites drop a shadow onto background blocks. (see e.g., image 2)
  • Added a 'lights out' mode so I can more easily experiment with no light scenarios (see image 3). I imagine some levels will be in complete darkness like in Spelunky, requiring torches etc to navigate.

Thanks for all the comments as usual, you guys are the best and you all keep me motivated to get results each week! My focus has been slipping lately so I've started experimenting with the Pomodoro technique to get back on track. We'll see how it goes!

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 04, 2014, 01:39:30 AM »

Not sure I can spot the drop shadow?!

Oh, wait... maybe I can. But it's very subtle... which is probably a good thing. :-)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:58:39 AM by kleiba » Logged
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 04, 2014, 04:34:16 AM »

Wow! That last screenshot is just...

Wow!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Prodigga
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 04, 2014, 05:19:56 AM »

Superb detail in your work man, I am envious.

I haven't made my way through 150 pages of posts so I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but as soon as I saw that main character, I instantly thought of Guardians of Sunshine from Adventure Time and it made me smile haha

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2344 on: April 04, 2014, 05:23:03 AM »

Compare it with this, guys. It has changed so much. For the better, of course!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 04, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »

On thing that's bothering me about the new art, or I guess just moonman's sprite in general is that his back arm and main body are kinda muted/grayish greens, but his front arm is a really bright looking green.

Conker534
« Reply #2346 on: April 04, 2014, 09:23:30 PM »

Great new style Smiley
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2347 on: April 06, 2014, 01:32:44 AM »

I agree

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:35 AM »

Thanks for all the comments as usual, you guys are the best and you all keep me motivated to get results each week! My focus has been slipping lately so I've started experimenting with the Pomodoro technique to get back on track. We'll see how it goes!

I think that's perhaps the downside of approaching a project like moonman "properly", i.e., applying good software engineering principles, refactoring the codebase regularly, iterating, integrating user feedback... as opposed to the quick and dirty way. You'll sure end up with a much more (re-)usable code base but the cost for getting there is that you're exposing yourself to the same old, same olf for a lot longer. I mean, the first mm post to this forum was 2.5 years ago -- I think it's only natural to burn out after such a long time. (By the way, I'm not advocating the more hacky "held together by spit and duct tape" approach here which will probably not get you past simple projects either.)

But don't forget that the game has *really* come a long way in that time!  Gomez

I do remember that maybe half a year ago you posted here about self-doubts what the game would actually be about. Of course, you've had your background story with the different moons laid out for a long time, but you were wondering what the actual game play would be.

I guess there's a caveat hidden in a situation like that which is important for all game developers. Namely that if you choose to go by a more exploratory style of development like you have with moonman, that too easily you can invest enormeous effort in time into things that distract you from defining the actual gameplay. Just look at the various threads in this forum where very skilled graphics designers post conceptual gifs that look really awesome and that inevitably evoke "take all my money" responses... just to be shut down again after some time because a visually exciting demo doesn't equal an interesting game.

This is not to be confused with the situation in which you *know* already very well what your game is actually going to be like, and there's just so much left to do to get there that it overwhelms you. For that situation, I guess it might actually beneficial to have the possibility to work on different parts of the game in parallel to avoid getting stuck in one part. (For instance, after a months of tweaking the lighting you might really enjoy working on the main menu, etc.) As long as ypu're not in denial and working on different parts is just a way to avoid facing the real issue at hand, namely: "what is the game?"

If you have the answer to that question then it might really help to have different parts of the game that you can switch between to keep yourself motivated. If you only do the latter to avoid facing the question, you might still have a good time but you're probably not gonna end up with an actual finished procuct.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:46:16 AM by kleiba » Logged
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:36 AM »

It's time to rename this to radman and let the cash flow Hand Money Left Who, Me?Hand Money Right
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2350 on: April 06, 2014, 07:40:11 AM »

Or Moominman.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2351 on: April 06, 2014, 07:43:06 AM »

Or Moominman.

OMG THAT LINK NEVER OCCURRED TO ME

So long and thanks for all the pi
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2352 on: April 10, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »

@DustyDrake I fixed the moonman colours, thanks for the tip!

@kleibs I agree. And trust me, I ask "what is the game" almost every night before I fall asleep, in fact it keeps me awake too much. But in the light of day I worry much less and distract myself with all these millions of TODOs I have. Hopefully one day a game emerges. Smiley

@eigen Cool reference!

Update: Lots of sprite updates this week: plants, furniture, weapons, etc. Mainly just adjusting the colours and adding a little more detail to match the new style. Here's MM wearing some new armour. It's thicker than the old armour which requires overriding pivot points when wearing. For example, the armours are attached one pixel further outwards when the armour is worn. There's also two more pieces: the cape and the cape attachment at the front.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2353 on: April 10, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »

So cool! Smiley
christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2354 on: April 11, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »

<3

but i think withouth the highlight border at the chest it would look better

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: April 11, 2014, 01:23:32 AM »

that new style is high level elite pro master of puppets!
Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2356 on: April 11, 2014, 05:10:04 AM »

Everything looks great. Your progress is inspiring!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2357 on: April 11, 2014, 06:12:18 AM »

Indeed, the graphics and animations are pretty slick. Nice work so far!

_bm
Level 2

i'm so confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2358 on: April 11, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »

That is super awesome! What badass armor!  Ninja
His arms seem a little stubby though...  Undecided

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »

Looks awesome!

The color of the cape seems a bit too dark in comparison to the outline, for my taste...
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic