Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:34:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSecrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Secrets of Grindea (Beta signup started!)  (Read 77869 times)
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »

Weekly update!

A lot of stuff has been going on but mainly we've kept working on the main city.

We're trying to make the city alive and breathing with a lot of animations and different characters. This is just the tip of the ice berg and we'll keep working away at it for the coming weeks!

For more weekly goodies, check out our devlog over at www.secretsofgrindea.com/devlog. You can listen to one of the super sweet tunes from our composer Andrew Riley (www.luckylionstudios.com). We also did a bit of a shout out to you guys here at TIG for helping us out with the dirt roads!

elisee
Thanks dude!
We've checked out MonoGame (or rather Teddy, our programmer did) and the latest version seems promising! We'll probably keep working away until we have it all worked out in XNA and see what are options for ports are later down the road. It would definitely be cool to reach out to more then just the windows scene so we're keeping our fingers crossed for sure!

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »

that animated screenshot is the best!

Sam English
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

Such smooth animations. And the beautiful flowers...  Kiss
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »

Another week, another update!

This week we spent a lot of time working on making the combat feel a bit more interesting and flashy. We made a video of the result, along side some commentating done by myself! 

Besides that, we kept working on the capital city. This week, we started putting together one of the many cut scenes you'll stumble upon in Evergrind.

JMickle & Sam English
Thanks guys Grin

Ashkin
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 05:29:03 PM »

Excellent, I love flashy combat Kiss
swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2012, 02:28:02 AM »

Holy bejeebus  Shocked

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but are you going to sell the game?

keo
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2012, 02:42:57 AM »

fantastic solid design. props
R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2012, 03:26:28 AM »

<3

Fohlin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »

Whoa the combat looks really alive and dynamic. And I love die-animation of the green blobs!  Hand Metal Right
Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2012, 04:01:46 AM »

Ashkin
Flashy combat is the best!

swordpond
We still got a long way to go, but yeah that's the plan. Our main target is a PC release via steam/desura, but we're leaving all the doors open. The whole thing is done in XNA, so xbox could be an option, as well as Mac/Linux depending on how the porting tools look when we're ready for a release.

Thanks dude, appreciate it!

R.D.
 Embarrassed

Fohlin
Glad to hear, that was our goal with the whole revisit of the combat!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

So, we changed things up a bit and put our weekly updates on Mondays instead of Fridays to fit better with our new and improved schedule.

The past week has been really busy with a lot of the hours being put into improving old areas and cutscenes, as well as moving ahead with some new areas and characters!

Teddy also put together a niffy little tool to assist us in the creation of dialogue! It will really help speed up the process now when there's a ton of cut scenes in the making!

More stuff over at our devlog!

Our next obstacle will be to create a respawn system for the multiplayer without making it to forgiving, or having players just idling for a long time while waiting to get respawned. We have a few good ideas we're itching to try out,  hopefully turning out in some cool results!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »

Main menus have been the name of the game this week!

The main menu really helps tie everything together and it's a pretty cool feeling, just having stuff fall into place. It feels more and more like a complete product for every day that passes!

So while menus are great and all, they might not be the most exciting part of developing a game. Teddy especially has been pretty vocal this week about his dislike of menus. Buuut since he's the one having to program it and all I guess he has the right to complain a bit Grin

Oh, we also submitted Secrets of Grindea to the Swedish Game Awards, which is a nation wide student competition here in Sweden. Wish us luck!

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2012, 03:44:54 PM »

This week, video time!

Just a short run through of our character creation system and its current state.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »

I need all of this game! oh and website is really good, it really suits the game.  Beer!

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »

Sweet art! I love the rabbit attack animation.

Eldboll
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »

Weekly updaaa-aatee!

So the last few weeks we've kinda been venturing down this dark hole that is called Interfaces. Menus, GUIs, HUDs, all that juicy stuff. This week was no different, except for me doing some new weapons and stuff!

This here is the multiplayer lobby! Players can gather there before starting a game, and adjust a couple of multiplayer settings. Of course, if you don’t like waiting for that dude who’s just gonna “grab a sandwich or something”, you can start the game and have your friends connect to you while you’re playing!

The first option you have is Item Share. It can be set to either Each Take, where all items go to whatever player that picks them up, or Round Robin, which distributes items fairly and randomly.

Secondly we have Mentorship, which if turned on will synchronize the combat efficiency of all characters to roughly the same level as the lowest leveled character. This is useful for players who want to play together, but haven’t gotten equally far into the game. Instead of having to start over from the beginning, they can play from where the lower leveled player is in the story without the higher leveled one wreaking havoc and potentially ruin the experience for his friend.

That sums up the lobby pretty well, so let’s head on to the HUD-changes by showing two screens of the different setups:

Gamepad HUD

Keyboard HUD

It’s been a long time coming, but we finally decided to completely separate the control schemes for keyboard and gamepads. Up until now, we’ve had emulator-like controls on the keyboard, which worked sort of well, but certainly not as well as it could. This meet-halway-there approach limited our options with the controller as well, so this was the right thing to do.

The new keyboard HUD looks and works similar to modern RPGs and MMOs, where you have a bar with abilities which you activate with hotkeys (which you can bind however you want — in the picture I’ve used keys close to those I use for the sword and shield). You can have up to ten quickslots set at a time, and a quickslot can contain either a skill, a consumable item or a weapon.

The gamepad HUD looks like it used to, and also has ten quickslots. The first two can be used by just pressing a button, and two sets of four more quickslots can be accessed by holding the left or the right trigger before pressing the button. We might do a video of this later to show it in action.

Aaaand, as promised, some new weapons in form of morning stars and two handed twigs. Good stuff!

Windybeard & Son of Bryce
Thanks dudes Grin

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 04:00:52 PM »

I am absolutely blown away by this game, It is everything i could ever want to see in a game. Im really not over exaggerating either.

The graphics are absolutely amazing, the gameplay looks polished and smooth, i NEED TO GRIND in every game i play.

GIVE ME!  Crazy

poe
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »

I am absolutely blown away by this game, It is everything i could ever want to see in a game. Im really not over exaggerating either.

The graphics are absolutely amazing, the gameplay looks polished and smooth, i NEED TO GRIND in every game i play.

GIVE ME!  Crazy

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 05:18:12 PM »

This just somehow keeps looking better and better. Loving it  Kiss Also like the different HUDs for keyboard and gamepad, seems like you guys have thought of everything when it comes to your game.

Ashkin
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »

Mentorship sounds like a great feature Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic