Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 06:04:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicRogue - New Build - July 11th
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30
Print
Author Topic: MicRogue - New Build - July 11th  (Read 78106 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:36 PM »

possibly, I have had so much suggested and had so many different systems that its all a bit of a blur.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:13 PM »

hey guys need some quick feedback. I am trying to figure out how to show your movement range. here is what I could do

1. its viewable in the stats screen, click a tile you will move if its in range.
2. click the player, this brings up the move/attack grid which highlight where you can move and where you can attack. click to do your next action.
3. always have an overlay showing the area you can move. click a tile to move.

I like idea 2 but that means you need to click the player to twice to take a turn. 1 and 3 seem more elegant click wise, but might not look as great. I could also only have the overlay show up when it is the players turn or if the player is clicked

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »

Order is in most preferred: 3, 1, 2. Less clicking!

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:17 PM »

working on the movement engine still. Got all the targeting system in showing your movement options. adding in the monster targeting now. in game screenshot too

not a fan of the green, its only temporary.

st33d
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2012, 03:04:08 AM »

Is it intentional that it takes two moves for a diagonal and one to move two straight spaces?

I'd change the green for one of the character's colours (or similar), so you can tell its related to him. Either that or you need to figure out a HUD palette.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2012, 06:30:53 AM »

I think the green makes a good contrast against the kinds of backgrounds you can make just by hue-shifting. I really doubt you'll be doing any "grass dungeons," I mean. And that's a good way of showing possible moves - maybe surround potential attacks in a shade of bright orange, for that same sort of pop effect. Basically, I think it'll grow on you over time, and it beats alternatives that would clash with the scene. I suppose bright yellow is a viable alternative...

But that shade of bright green is my favorite!!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:35 AM »

St33d: yes it is intentional that it takes two moves to go diagonal. I may end up adding diagonals later, but currently the plan is only moving in the cardinal directions. It will all come down to how it feels. Right now the cardinal directions feel pretty good.

baconman: actually I might have a few other dungeon types, but they will all be color variations on this, I couldn't decide between blue or green for the walking spaces, and I have tried a bunch of variations, I might post up a sheet showing all the possible ones to get feedback, but as for now, they are mostly place holder.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

I like the cardinal directions.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »

So still going strong. One choice I recently made is to design floors. I can't make a good enough algorithm to give me the kinds Of floors I need. So the actual design of a floor will be designed by me and stored in a file. These will be randomly put in sequence and randomly filled with monsters though. One other thing I have been thinking about is special tiles. Tiles that give bonuses. A good example might be a move tile. Normally you can move up to 2 spaces but if standing on a move tile you can move up to 3 spaces.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »

since I am redoing the combat I felt it was time to redo the monsters Also. I liked the sprites I had and I liked the design I had, but they didn't seem to fit.

so the goblin which could originally take 2 hits has been replaced by the cyclops. The sprite is larger so the player should be able to see that and think this guy will be tougher.

the Witch is basically the same. chasing after the player and blasting them.

and the final is the floating eye. originally the eye would swap places with you, which was a cool attack, but didn't make much sense as why an eye had that spell. so that has been shelved for the time being until I figure out which enemy to give that to. now the eye, is a little different and has been giving the first new pathing system. the eye has the special feature of only moving when you are vertically or horizontally in line with them.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2012, 12:33:04 PM »

The goblin looked fine to me, but the Cyclops is nice as well.

Are you going to give each monster a special movement / attack system, so that you are working out how best to manoeuvre and attack them?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2012, 02:54:50 PM »

Oh I haven't gotten rid of the goblin. he just needs a movement or attack system that matches with his character. I think he might actually be given knockback powers. which means if he does get the first hit, you wont be able to strike him back

My goal is that tactical idea of maneuvering around killing these monsters and figuring out the best way.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2012, 12:29:13 AM »

Ah, sounds good Jason!
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:53 AM »

I like that idea too, although "Ogre" or "Troll" comes to mind when thinking about that. Goblins are usually pretty straightforward/normal.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2012, 06:58:06 AM »

If the eye floating or hopping? If it floats, is it able to move over pits?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »

enemies that can fly over pits? that would be totally unfair to the player.  Cheesy

yes they will be able to fly over pits eventually. the game doesn't have any pits yet but once I add them in I will update the pathing code.

st33d
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:09 AM »

Dungeon Master had couatls that could fly over pits (mainly because pit drops were an excellent way to do massive damage to a monster).

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »

I really like the idea of having characters with different rules though. being able to have a monster come at you from across a pit is completely not fair. although I might change it from pit to water. as the shadows will still be present, but tactically they would be the same.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:57 PM »

so switched the pits to water and now eyes float over them

also I figure if they are water, your freeze spell could at least make them walkable platforms. I might have to run a test with slightly larger levels. See if the control is still as good with specific tile clicking, it would give me some more possibilities for rooms. Also I will be adding traps soon. they will not be the normal hidden traps though. they will be things like spikes that shoot out every 5th turn and they will be very noticable. They will also damage friend and foe, good for enemies chasing you.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2012, 02:28:52 PM »

still going strong. reworked Line of sight so ranged monsters can attack across bodies of water, but not through walls. Tonight I will be putting in the death and win mechanics. So I can get a build out for testing.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic