Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412117 Posts in 69452 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 30, 2024, 10:50:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1  (Read 54223 times)
Chris Pavia
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »

Most of the time I start out each body part as a cylinder. I'll make a torso cylinder with a few edge loops and push the loops into the shape I want, then make leg and arm cylinders separately and attach them to the torso when they're done.

Hands are usually a pain which I is why I always just take them from a previous model then tweak as needed.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:58 PM »

I'll definitely have to have another go at it.
Just really frustrating to have a bunch of really crappy and useless work after a few hours.
Practice, Wolfgang, practice!  Tired

Chris Pavia
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

Back when I was in college, a teacher gave us an optional, unofficial challenge to model a hi-res head every week from scratch during the course, always based on a real person. A head a week doesn't sound like much, but with a job and classes, not to mention the lack of quality hi-res tools back then (before ZBrush days), it was tough. But by the end of the course the few of us who actually did it were head and shoulders (pun intended) above the rest.

So, um, practice makes perfect is what I'm trying to say, I guess.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2012, 03:39:02 PM »

I can finally share the news that Dungeon Hearts has been picked up by Devolver Digital for publication, as a result of their Pitch Fork Parker campaign they were running at GDC, which involved pitching the game on a bus driving around SF. Working with DD has been great so far, as I retain the IP and have full creative control of the game.

There's an article about it by Ben Kuchera of Penny Arcade right here!
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2012, 04:45:32 PM »

Beer!

Congrats! Looking forward to the game.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2012, 04:53:47 PM »

awesome news mate, well done Smiley

Chris Pavia
« Reply #186 on: May 21, 2012, 05:38:30 PM »

Thanks guys  Tongue
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: May 21, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »

That's great news and really interesting to read the article.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »

Congratulations Chris.
I can't wait to hear more.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #189 on: May 22, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »

Here is the finished version of the environment I posted previously:

I'm considering switching from red lava to a green or purple glowing substance so it doesn't clash with the fighter, but I'm saving that till all the other environments are done.
randomshade
Level 1

Fastzelda

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 22, 2012, 06:23:45 PM »

Congrats on getting picked up by DD!

Also, you got some Destructoid love today: http://www.destructoid.com/dungeon-hearts-mixes-match-3-puzzling-with-final-fantasy-227878.phtml
Chris Pavia
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »

Huzzah!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #192 on: May 23, 2012, 08:34:31 AM »

Dungeon Hearts is on Touch Arcade!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »

In-progress work on one of the later environments:

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »

Congrats on getting a publisher, well deserved!  Beer!

Chris Pavia
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2012, 06:09:18 AM »

It's been awhile. Still pushing along on the environments, only got a couple more to go.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »

Currently trying to come up with a solution for one of the biggest remaining design issues: the player's attention is always focused on the puzzle section at the bottom, rarely looking up at the battle section. My current (inadequate) solution is to pause the puzzle whenever the player makes a big attack so they can watch the character animations play out. This doesn't really fix anything, instead the player uses the pause to plan their next moves.

One idea is to decouple the puzzle from immediate character response in the battle section, since both happening simultaneously is the heart of the problem. What if the player plays the puzzle for a fixed amount of time (1 minute for example) to "charge up" their characters as much as possible. When the time is up the puzzle stops and the battle phase begins. The battle phase is kept short (10-20 seconds), and the characters attack on their own. The more charged up they are the more likely they are to use their special abilities. I'm envisioning it playing out similar to

. Perhaps there should be some minimal interactivity here that affects the next puzzle section, so there is a continuous flow.

Does this makes sense?
brettchalupa
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2012, 07:14:21 AM »

That makes a ton of sense, and I think would work well to decouple the top animations from the actual gameplay.

I think having a charge meter that has an impact on the battle would work very well.

Are you thinking of having a visual representation of the charge somewhere on the screen?
Chris Pavia
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2012, 08:01:34 AM »

Are you thinking of having a visual representation of the charge somewhere on the screen?

Yes, a visual will be needed to provide a link/bridge between the players actions on the puzzle and the characters action in battle. Not sure yet if it will be 1 meter the whole party pulls from or a per-character meter. Leaning toward per-character since puzzle combos are made per-character.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »

Also would need to come up with a clear, non-invasive way to signal to the player that the puzzle phase is about to end and the battle phase is about to begin.

Maybe put a special, impossible-to-miss token on the board, and once it hits the right side it destroys all the tokens and ends the phase. I could even make it moveable like most other tokens, so the player could move it farther back if they are desperate for more time in the puzzle phase.

The "NO MODES" User Experience Designer in me cringes at the thought of Puzzle Phase and Battle Phase though. We'll see.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic