Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:04:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeShoeBox: Drag and Drop gamedev toolbox
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: ShoeBox: Drag and Drop gamedev toolbox  (Read 51179 times)
verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

the slice9 is awesome.

It's all good.
cinza
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »

Hey, good job, man. This is some pretty neat stuff, but I'm trying the simplest one and I can't get it to work. I just wanted to convert a .gif into a sprite sheet with the frames on the same order, for some reason it keeps put some frames on random order. Keep it up!
renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2012, 08:34:19 PM »

@Cinza:
Are you referring to the sprite packer? Yes its intended to pack the frames at random or best to the overal size order. If you want them all in one sequence or order use the "Ani 2 Sheet" tool
http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/aniSheet.htm
Under settings choose "single row" and it should give you what you want.

I am almost done porting the new UI,
its using a new UI rendering technique which uses Android's Patch .9.png system. Here a screen in the debug mode with wireframes and bounds.

The settings are actually a lot easier to read and manage now I think. There are some new little details in the UI that you might notice if you use it but all in all less UI clutter.

Also pretty much done is a new Pivot Editor for sprites

It allows you to edit pivot points of multiple sprites and or sequences. The way it stores the pivot position within a sprite is by extending the sprite canvas so that the center of the sprite represents the pivot.

I expect this to be released within a few days
renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2013, 07:29:13 AM »

After a long break, finally a new public release
ShoeBox 3.0.0
Website

If you quit your current ShoeBox it should auto update your existing one. Alternatively you can download it here ShoeBox 3.0.0

We at Soap creative have been using it recently on GangsterSquad a heavy sprite powered 2d game. There is a behind the scenes page here http://labs.soapcreative.com/GangsterSquad/

The new sprite pivot tool for example was created for the project so we could set custom pivot points for every sprite or sprite sets.

A few other feature were also used for this game like symmetry sprite packing but they are not yet available in the public release as they are not very user friendly to use.

A new uservoice page will take care of all the feedback and suggestions. So people can submit bugs to me that I can queue and sort, same with feedback and new ideas.
If you have some ideas add them here
http://shoebox.uservoice.com/

I will add soon some new YouTube videos on how to use some of the new features as well as update the website to reflect some of the changes in this release.
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2013, 03:26:28 AM »

I loved the writeup on Gangster Squad.  Very neat tech all around.  inspiring Smiley

Keep up the awesome work with this tool.  It's growing quite well

renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2013, 06:16:00 AM »

@DanFessler: thanks

I made some progress with my automatic slice-9 (or any slice setup for that matter) detection and realtime resize preview

I am using it right now for some website CSS stuff, in the UI there is also a code output (CSS, xml, engine XYZ,.. ) which I use to copy and paste CSS attributes. The slices themselves are generated as well with the same tool and packed to a minimal size.

verticalvertex
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:27 AM »

The auto preview is really helpfull.

It's all good.
renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2013, 04:56:56 AM »

I updated the website today and uploaded a couple of new introduction videos for 2 new tools.

Several sub pages have been updated to cover the latest settings and variables that have been added in the new release. In particular I have 2 new pages covering new tools:

Screenshot of the website

And 3 new YouTube videos

I will push out another update pretty soon that covers some improvements and additions for the bitmap font tool, like importing any UTF-8 text files to generate character sets and settings or tab character support.
renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:09 AM »

I added a more detailed manual page:
http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/manual.htm

with:
  • Help and assistent systems
  • All shortcuts and mouse controls
  • Settings and config files explained
  • Commandline CMD

Also somewhat related, at work some of my coworkers have been working on this rather complex avatar builder in HTML5. We used ShoeBox and some new updates to generate the massive sprite sheets with CSS-sprite data. All in all I believe they ended up with over 1500 individual sprites all grabbed with the Extract Sprites tool from a frame sequence that flash exported. Here is a zoom out version of all 6 sprite sheets next to each other:

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

amazing work! came across this today when looking for an alternative to texture packer.  thank you!
renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2013, 05:52:03 AM »

I just released ShoeBox version 3.2.0

download available at:
http://renderhjs.net/shoebox

Version 3.2.0 has the kerningall working and implemented. I am actually quite proud of how this now works with its all automated optical kerning with quite nice results.

In the settings panel you can define whether you want to build the kerning pairs. I have about 500+ kerning pairs added as a default which I got from a typography website. If 2 characters don't seem to kern at all in your preview window you can add them in this list seperated by a space character.
The 3rd variable is the kerning rays value which determines how many rays should be cast for each bitmap character. This screenshot shows the green rays hitting the bitmap silhouette.

By averaging each side's rays lengths into a volume unit I can then determine the optical kerning as in volume that fits between character pairs.

For each of those kerning pairs it will determine a kerning offset on top of the regular kerning distance. It will store this information in the *.fnt format like this:

Code:
kernings count=760
kerning first=62  second=62  amount=-1 
kerning first=61  second=62  amount=-1 
kerning first=247 second=62  amount=-1 
kerning first=165 second=247 amount=-2 
kerning first=165 second=188 amount=-1

But of course this can be fully customized. I will update the documentation page soon with all the added dynamic variables for the output syntax.

For very big bitmap font input bitmaps I rewrote the whole bitmap font parsing part so that it supports multiple rows should you input bitmaps that exceed 8191 in width or height.

This makes sense if your characters have a rather HD resolution or you have a lot of characters like eastern languages.

Another new feature that was added to the sprite packer is the pixel extruding feature.

It lets you extrude border pixels of sprites so that when you render them in hardware acceleration or with texture filtering bordering pixels are preserved at all costs even when the UV coordinates shift.

Lastly a little trick that I have been sharing with some people lately: If you want to force some pixels to connect as one blob or pixel character e.g. in the Bitmap font tool or sprite extractor tool do this:

Add a outline filter in PS to your sprite that you want to merge with its close surrounded pixel islands, make sure that the thickness connects the islands you want to be connected and then change its opacity to 1%. This will trick your eye as you will not be able to see this very opaque black border but it will not trick ShoeBox as it will assume that all those elements are one blob to parse.
renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2013, 06:19:38 AM »

A recent game that I worked on and where i used ShoeBox every day was Lynx Lunar Racer. The game was build using Unity and NGUI as UI framework. The fonts in particular were tricky and there was some new stuff I wrote for the bitmap font tool before and after the project. I also used quite a lot the 9-slide tool in ShoeBox for trimming down UI sprites that were designed but not trimmed or reduced by the designers.

Playable links:
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/lynx-lunar-racer/id623623038?mt=8
Dekstop: http://www.lynxapollo.com.au/game/

The fonts rendered in Unity

All of the fonts were stored in one PSD with slices targeted to different template PNG's that I would then automate with ShoeBox to convert each of them into a Bitmap font file.

The UI turned out to be very clean and very flexible on all the different platforms (android, ios, dekstop, tablet, phone,...). Some more screens of the UI

spritesheet

renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2013, 06:46:57 AM »

For a longer time already I have been working on a PSD splitter

The basic idea is that you can drag and drop PSD files and it will search for certain layers and export them cropped or uncropped. Some filters that I came up with:
  • ignore background or canvas sized layers (usually background elements)
  • ignore layers that have a blend mode
  • ignore layers that have bounds smaller than x-size
  • layer name patterns
The PSD parsing library that I use has its limitations and complex vector shapes or smart objects are not supported or break the parsing process but as it is right now it could be pretty useful and powerful.
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

You have no idea how much I love you Renderhjs... marry me.  This is awesome

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2013, 05:43:30 AM »

That PSD splitter is looking good.

renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »

The PSD splitter is pretty much done and should be added in an update pretty soon. Yesterday I have been starting to add TexRipper into ShoeBox

Its a texture extraction tool (for texture artists mainly I guess) that I started some years ago but didn't had the time to continue it back then. The whole thread can be found here:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54694

Here is a video of what it can do

renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »

Almost forgot, here is a screenshot of the PSD splitter exporting into a HTML <div> document Smiley
What it does: It splits the PSD layers apart into separate PNG files and creates a text file with the file names, x,y positions, width / height etc. attributes.
You can see the PSD file on the right, since I checked the option "Ignore layer no bkg size" (will rename some of those variables) it actually skipped any background layer that exceeds or is equal to the PSD document size.

Pretty nifty for UI splits or exports. I will try to create some NGUI, starling and other templates or just plain XML likewise.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »

Wooahhhh  Who, Me?
keanu.jpg

That looks really nice

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2013, 06:36:35 AM »

This tool is amazing.
One question: Is there any reason Ani2Sheet doesn't support a multiple png's (png sequence) instead of gif or swf? I'm doing animation from After Effects and getting from there to gif or swf is not an optimal process..

EDIT: Huh?! I had dropped a png sequence onto it multiple times and it always only showed me a one png sheet. Now it works! Again, this tool is just amazing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:41:40 AM by jonkk » Logged

renderhjs
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »

I silently released an update a few days ago but got only today the time to update the documentation and create a video for the new changes.

Direct download link:
ShoeBox_3.5.0_public.air

The biggest update is the Texture Ripper tool which has its own documentation here:
http://renderhjs.net/shoebox/textureRipper.htm

The basic idea of this tool is to define 4 sided areas in your source image.

The 2D and photo space behave different. For booth spaces a preview grid shows you if slices are aligned correctly.

Once cool nice feature is that you can transform the slices in local space to extend or trim for example edges or simply move the slice in local space.

Here is a video showcasing how to use this new tool

Other updates and changes include
  • fixes for several templates for the Sprite packing
  • Early monospace support in the Bitmap Font tool. I haven't fully tested it yet but I think it should work fine in most UI frameworks.
  • Read Sprites: A tool that lets you reverse parse sprites from bitmap fonts or existing sprite sheets. This can be useful in combination with other tools of ShoeBox when you don't like for example the standard packing inside Bitmap Fonts and want to convert them to fixed Frame Sheets.
  • Frame Sheets: This was before part of the "Ani Frames" tool but it made more sense to split the 2 of them apart. What this tool does is that it packs your sprites, animations etc. in a fixed grid which is easier to parse in your code.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic