Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:36:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceHero Command
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: SpaceHero Command  (Read 105270 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2012, 12:07:18 AM »

Wow! Thanks guys. After looking at the graphics all the time sometimes you lose the ability to see if it's good or not.. Smiley

It can't do realtime zooming / scaling unfortunately as it would just be too slow to do and keep a high frame rate. However, it is fast enough without this to get 120fps at HD resolutions.
Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2012, 03:44:01 AM »

Nice, reminds me a lot of the original graphics, but in a slightly more sci-kitsch Forbidden Planet style.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:00 AM »

I'm a big fan of Chaos Groove/Funk so I know this won't disappoint. I'll be keeping an eye on this project. I may have missed where you said this, but what are the target systems? I see you've mentioned iPhone, Android, and PC. Does PC include Mac/Linux?

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »

The engine I am using is cross-platform and can work on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android. At the moment the game is still very early in development, so I have no solid plans yet as to which platforms to support besides the PC. Smiley

It would be nice to get it running on all those different systems, but we will see what happens.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2012, 12:22:16 AM »

Turn, Turn, Turn

I've now implemented turning, so that your units will turn one 45 degree rotation at a time until facing the right way for the next move. This means that when you select a movement path the unit will turn around to dace the new direction, set off and then turn to the correct direction (if necessary) after every tile square before moving again.

This step is where I will add in Line-of-Sight checks for enemies and map highlighting.

I want to work on the interface for selecting a direction to turn in (without moving to a new tile) for looking down corridors next.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »

Yawn.. 12 hour day at work today so no time for much else tonight!  Yawn

I'll be looking at the interface this weekend though and I'd like to see if I can get turning around (without moving tiles) implemented, as well as the movement option already in place.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »

Coffee looking good man! sounds like it's working good too.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2012, 06:09:39 PM »

holy canoli this is really rocking.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2012, 12:17:17 AM »

Thanks guys!
Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2012, 01:05:01 AM »

Out of curiousity was it this class of algorithm, http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/kopf/pixelart/ that you used for the scaling?

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2012, 02:39:14 AM »

Yodhe: I've seen that before and it does look very clever and interesting, but no it's not doing anything like that.
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »

By the way, big props to you for keeping the dev meter at 0 % because nothing playable released so far.

Now get back to work!

(← new art twitter)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2012, 02:24:55 AM »

I must admit I forgot all about the Dev Meter  Big Laff

Anyway, I'll have more done this weekend. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2012, 02:24:54 PM »

Where do you want to go today?

I mentioned about the GUi in earlier posts. I'm a big believer in showing the player potential information as easy as possible. As part of this if the player moves the cursor over a unit then the game will show information on where he/she can move to. In other games you would only see this when you select a unit, but this just adds another obstacle in front of the player before letting them pick where to move.

Here you can see that the possible move squares have been highlighted (in an outline, as the unit is not yet selected). The colours show the actions possible in the destination square:

Green - Can move and shoot (any type).
Yellow - Can move and can do an auto-shot or snap-shot.
Orange - Can move, but can only do an auto-shot.
Red - Can only move once here.

The green triangles around the unit show the action status if the player turned in that direction. At the start of a move these would be green, but later on they could be different colours so a player knows straight away if he can turn and still shoot in a certain way.

saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2012, 03:19:46 PM »

I didn't had time to read everything, but I can say that I love the idea of making a X-Com/Laser Squad type and man... Those graphics are AWESOME.

Really, this is incredibly cute. I love it.   Kiss

Ashkin
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2012, 03:30:29 PM »

Great feature, I always hated how I couldn't tell the range of my units in X-com.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2012, 03:43:53 PM »

Awesome! Although the difference between orange and yellow is a little vague.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »

Thanks!

Anyone else seeing the orange and yellow as too close together? I can more the orange a little more reddish if so.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2012, 03:56:53 PM »

Oh, I like the graphical style you've chosen here. Very clean, expressive and cute. Smiley

I have no trouble distinguishing the yellow and orange reticles, myself.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2012, 05:20:50 PM »

Awesome! Although the difference between orange and yellow is a little vague.

Agree!
The first thing I noticed is how hard on the eyes it would be having to quickly compare colors at every turn.

My suggestion: Change one more aspect about the different square markers - either the animation (bobbing motion vs. still; blinking vs. calm) or the shape. I'd suggest the latter - you could work with differences in line thickness, or possibly empty vs. solid squares.

Just a thought, but I figure it could make the visuals even cleaner.

Looking splendid! Keep up the good work!

(← new art twitter)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic