Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:35:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceHero Command
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: SpaceHero Command  (Read 105272 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: October 20, 2012, 01:59:02 AM »

Thanks guys!!  Gentleman

ScaryPotato: It's scaleable to suit your desired resolution, so from 320 x 240 upto 5120 x 3840 (for a 4:3 scale montior - 16:10 or 16:9 is supported too). I'm hoping that's pretty future proof for my games. Smiley
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: October 20, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »

New more colourful art style:
I must admit I wasn't convinced when you said you wanted a more colourful style, but that actually looks really good.
 Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #602 on: October 20, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »

Cheers! Coffee

I'm going to try to fix a few more bugs and improve the GUI a bit. Then I've got to see if I can track down the issue with the mysterious disappearing men! As it's not happening every time I suspect some kind of memory initialisation bug - I'll have to try and track it down, but I might need peoples help with the logfile output to locate it.

I've been playing the old demo alongside the latest build and the new version definitely feels better to me when using the GUI and how it is presented.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: October 21, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »

Fixed some GUI bits today:

• After seeing an enemy the GUI returns to showing the command icons rather than the unit icons (for selecting your units).
  • Greyed out command icons are now unselectable.
  • Stopped the odd sub-pixel error when drawing the direction cursors when scrolling the screen.
  • Targeting cursor is now coloured according to movement type (i.e. as in a movement tile - green is shoot and move, orange is shoot only).
  • Mouse cursor disappears completely when moving, turning or shooting - but stays at 50% transparency when scrolling around the map.

And did a few other graphic bits.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: October 21, 2012, 11:21:29 AM »

More playing around with graphics. Not sure if it's too colourful now!

Blink
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: October 21, 2012, 04:57:57 PM »

Wow, that purple on the sofas is... purple. I think it's a bit too saturated.
Nice mockup though.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: October 21, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »

it's too blue and saturated for me

after playing the disaster of the latest xcom i'm now relying on you to make an awesome game!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: October 21, 2012, 11:13:18 PM »

Yeah, I'm going to tweak things a bit to try to find a happy balance between too colourful and too grey! Smiley
Derris-Kharlan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: October 22, 2012, 12:06:48 AM »

This looks gorgeous!

derriskharlan.com | nathanantony.com
TertiumQuid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 22, 2012, 02:38:56 AM »

Another post to applaud the art style, but also to agree that the upholstery needs to change; rich color requires high contrast!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: October 22, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »

Messing about with the colours, a bit less saturated for some bits. Better?

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: October 22, 2012, 09:26:49 AM »

Yes, I think it's better this way.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: October 22, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »

In the screenshot on the last page (but not the last two), the walls all look to me like they are actually floating a bit above the floor.  I think this is because of their shadows, and the way that they fall on top of the coloured tiles that indicate movement zones, which then themselves have shadows.  I would say either keep the shadows off those coloured tiles altogether or foreshorten the shadow as it falls on them to take account of them seemingly being raised.

Like the new colour-scheme, although the humans now all look a bit red in the face to me, as if they've either been running around too much or are just really embarrassed that they all turned up wearing the same outfit.  Not sure if that's simply because I'm used to their older skintone, however.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: October 22, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

pewpew..

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »

Paul: That's a good point, I will try the overlay without the shadow effect and see if that looks ok.

Eigenbom: That must have taken a while to do! Thanks for that, it's an interesting effect, but not sure that would work so well for this game.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: October 22, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »

Yeh I was bored ... :p

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: October 23, 2012, 06:28:50 AM »

Paul: That's a good point, I will try the overlay without the shadow effect and see if that looks ok.

Eigenbom: That must have taken a while to do! Thanks for that, it's an interesting effect, but not sure that would work so well for this game.

Can I be a dick and say that your original purple version still looks better? Especially since you probably want to keep green floors reserved for outdoor scenarios...

By the way, I found the purple sofas equally amazing. They look like fluorescent material in ultraviolet light.

And hey, there's your art direction for the alien bases! How about that? Smiley

(← new art twitter)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #617 on: October 23, 2012, 10:21:59 AM »

Grrr! Wink

When you say the original purple version, do you mean the outside tile colours, or just the sofa colour choice?

I keep changing these damned sofas and I still haven't found a perfect colour that doesn't clash with other colour uses. Tongue

Facepalm
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:33 PM »

I liked those green sofas on the less saturated blue floors...when everything is super saturated (like the purple sofas and dark blue floor), it was really hard on my eyes. I think having all the secondary type stuff in the game toned down a bit will make the more important aspects (player, enemy, items etc) stand out better, all the while saving a few retinas along the way!  Grin

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: October 23, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »

Yeah, I need to find a happy balance.. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic