Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411953 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58482 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 01:53:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat DON'T you like about these popular series?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: What DON'T you like about these popular series?  (Read 4300 times)
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »

^Haha yeah, that's kind of why I chose them. They're all popular and great, but they aren't the "top" franchises (i.e. Mario and Zelda).

And about Super Metroid... Cave Story...lol kidding.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24:51 AM »

1) Sonic always kinds bugged me.  Playing the game usually involved just holding right...until all of a sudden he would get spat out a into spikes or a pit or something.  And platforming when he was slow always sucked.   Sonic should be fast, but I don't know how to maintain control.  I never found any chaos emeralds.  
I've been thinking that Sonic games should have long floating platforms so he can actually run and jump.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 09:44:28 AM »

Sonic: Needs to cut back on the platforming. The sense of speed is what Sonic was always best at, and the game is like playing a rollercoaster when you get that speed going. As soon as you stop-- because you hit spikes, or a wall, or you have to play the "platforming" parts of the game-- it becomes awkward and dumb. If the game is about speed, don't make me wait for a moving platform that is slowly sine-waving back and forth. Or at least let me jump over the whole damn thing if I'm going fast enough.

And Dr Wily final form? That's easy. He's weak to your stupidest, lamest weapon. Always.
Cheesy

I wonder if Sonic would be better without obstacles like spikes and instead have fast moving ones like the flying Robotniks (and that fast running one from Springyard Zone, even though he was annoying to kill)and maybe flying traps. Differently wouldn't remove the platforming though.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Headless Man
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »

Sonic: Well, there are way too many things to list about the recent ones.
Things I don't like about the Sonics I like (Sonic 2/3): Rotten bonus levels that slow everything down when you're going for a Super Sonic run.  It also has the problem of the games being pretty memorisation-focused for advanced play (and occasionally unfair for beginners), with snake-aeting-its-own-tail problem of the ring system making advanced play non-threatening.  I guess you could solve it by having some sort of rank system, like some shmups - like the more rings you have the more enemies there are or whatever. 'Warning' arrows alerting you to oncoming threats might help some beginner frustration too, though I'm sure that would be the sort of thing people would bitch about.

Donkey Kong: The games are really too wildly different from each other to even offer a criticism.  I'm guessing the OP meant the DKC games?  I guess my big problem, other than the awful graphics and sloppy collisions, is that there is zero interesting gameplay there.  Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is a perfect template for the DKC games, though that also has a few of Sonic's problems.

Kirby: Just lots of variety.  Make the game a toybox.  Mass Attack does this very well - it has Yoshi's Island-level gimmick spam.  I guess I am echoing David Caruso here.

Megaman: Assuming classic sidescrollers: I am not even remotely a fan of the game's biggest 'hook' - the R/P/S aspect.  I think it's just bad design, even though the games make up for it in other aspects (somewhat).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:20:11 PM by Headless Man » Logged
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 04:40:46 PM »

^^Doesn't Sonic CD have a look forward cam?

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic