Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:36:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkLooking for 3 artists
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for 3 artists  (Read 1873 times)
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:59:22 PM »

Looking for a unpaid, speculative, concept art job? Then look no further!!! My RPG, (sorry neither M nor M, though most likely O), is in need of artistic direction. I know the gameplay I would like to experience. I know how I would write the characters in a novel. And yet, I have no idea what style of art the game would have! Crazy, isn't it? So, what I am looking for is 3 artists to create some concept art of what our characters and game would look like. Something quick and easy just to help me make some decisions about the direction of the game.

Details are as follows:
3 artists/ styles needed
A heavy technology, cyberpunk futuristic space rpg
Gameplay for character exploration is 3rd person isometric view point, (but concept art can be from any angle)
Gameplay for ship2ship battles are top down shooter style, (concept art is preferred from this angle)
3 character concepts based on descriptions and a character sheet
2 spaceship designs
(sorry no pixel art)

You would be under no NDA or limitations on use of the art in your portfolio and I would happily give professional references as to the quality and professionalism of the artists who help us out. All I want to know is..... Any takers?

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »

I'm not a really skilled artist, but in my experience, one artist can probably crank out more than one art style, so you don't really have to look for multiple artists to do the same thing.

Also, as an RPG you are at a disadvantage because they are some of the most art-heavy games. It's almost impossible to find an artist to draw, let alone sprite your RPG for free, believe me, I tried. It's at least a year of work, if not more. I would suggest looking at other media for ideas about the art (it could be as simple as "do I want my game to look like Blade Runner or Star Trek") and then give the artist the general tone you want to convey. And, of course, invest some cash. It could be possible for your sprite artist to do concept art as well, instead of using multiple people.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »

SundownKid speaks the truth. It's entirely possible (and honestly: preferable) that the same dude does everything.

By the way, what's your role on the project?

(← new art twitter)
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:27:53 AM »

In the actual thread, I did say "artists/ styles" so I do realize that a single artist could have multiple styles.  I may or may not retain the concept artist to do the in-game spriting. What I am really looking for is someone to help define the style and bring the visuals to life.  As far as references for the artist, I really don't know what style I would like to see for the particular game.  I know what I want to achieve in gameplay, but I might like anime style, cartoons with rounded edges and lots of shading, the original Fallout style graphics, I'm not sure.  I'd like to see an artists interpretation of the written descriptions of the characters.  Often times I feel as designers, we are not open enough to the artistic process to see what other have to offer.  I am looking for those style perspectives to help me in the game development. 

I currently have a very talented artist hard at work on my current game that I was recruiting a programmer for a short time ago. I don't want to distract him from that project just to give me a handful of concept sketches for this project.  The reason I have time to begin development of this rpg is that my roles as game designer and marketing manager are on a little hiatus while art and programming get caught up. So to answer your question as to my role, it is game designer. 

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:24 AM »

So to answer your question as to my role, it is game designer. 

Thank you.

Do you have any of your work online so potentially interested artists may have a look?

(← new art twitter)
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:06:42 PM »

Not as of yet.  My fighting game currently in-production is my first video game.  This would be my second, however it is the third game design I've done.  I also dabble with an FPS maker way back in high school, something around 96 or 97.  I can provide links to other creative projects to show my production and design abilities if that helps.  Websites, some animations I've made, and some of my written work. PM me and I can share more information.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 07:03:51 PM »

If you have 2 games on the burner at once, I would suggest making the second smaller than the first, rather than larger. Making a larger game without a portfolio (e.g. the finished smaller one) is putting the horse before the cart - since if the first game sputters while the second is in production, people will end up not trusting you. If it's small and fast, you will know your limits.

Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »

If you have 2 games on the burner at once, I would suggest making the second smaller than the first, rather than larger

I am making the smaller game first.  The fighting game is a much simpler dynamic than the rpg.  In fact, the other game that I have completed a design document for is simpler, (and will probably be produced before), the rpg. My fighting game is past the question of design and at the point of production, so my daily involvement is small and beginning the draft of an rpg doesn't detract from my ability to sign off on each piece as it is turned in.  A RPG is a big undertaking, and so I am beginning the earliest design and brainstorming ideas now.  I am seeking artist(s) to create some concept sketches to help with the brainstorming.

AllenBW
Level 0

what happens next

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »

i'm interested.  my sketchbook site is in my profile, but here are some examples of some more serious sci fi work i've done, some for mods some for games that never took off, some for the pleasure of it.  also there is a pugbug.  i got some diversity to my style which sounds like what you're looking for.

__________________________i promise i will do better next time

cghub
tumblr
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:51:40 AM »

Those are pretty rough sketches, but could help just get the idea of the characters out.  PM me if you are still interested.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic