Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:10:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)App Icon Pointers & Help?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: App Icon Pointers & Help?  (Read 943 times)
JeremySpillmann
Level 0

Ryuworks

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »

Well, were two weeks in the launch of our first game and something I've regularly heard now is that the Icon doesn't stick out very much. I agree, but I'm kind of lost on what best practises are on iOS Icons

Heres how it transitioned from first to final (final being on the right side)

It seems to me that it has to better use stark contrasts? Maybe? Did anyone also spend a lot of time with the subject matter and have some pointers or references on how to make an icon stick out?

The whole Icon deal kind of frustrates me, since its such a small pixel element that still should look sharp, clean and vivid. How do you guys do it?

Swiss student doing Master of Arts in Game Design
Check out Full Color Planet or visit the Portfolio
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »

I have just been doing iOS icons for a game, and can recommend grabbing a screen of existing app icons (eg - http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/paid-apps/) - and test your icon on that page against others.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »

I have just been doing iOS icons for a game, and can recommend grabbing a screen of existing app icons (eg - http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/paid-apps/) - and test your icon on that page against others.

That's a great tip. Been working on an icon for my game and hadn't considered that but will definitely try that out now to see how it looks.

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 12:42:08 PM »

Some pointers..
It's important not to use too much detail, since it will mostly end up looking muddy on smaller screens.
Use a good amount of contrast in both your color values and your lighting.
And last but not least, use an iconic image which represents your game. Like a protagonist or the logo.

Paintover example thingy with some added points of interest.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:23:35 PM by green » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic