Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 12:12:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEnvironmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 59
Print
Author Topic: Environmental Station Alpha [Big update coming 10/18!]  (Read 207173 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »

Use that effect you used for the heat wave thingy on the space where the fish is.
As in, sideways waves.
I was going to suggest this, but I think he can only do it for the whole screen or nothing at all.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »

SMB Castle Flag<Actually Hempuli‽ just earned one more follower!> SMB Castle Flag

Seriously, that seems just great. Simple story with no complications and the art seems perfect, not to mention all the animated screens you've posted, that just seems like a "YOU SHOULD PLAY THIS" game.

Can't wait to see more!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:35:59 PM by Blodyavenger » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »

,,,ashkin?

Ashkin
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »

Yes, I created this game! It was me all along! Hempuli is just an impostor, trying to steal my work! Don't believe what he tells you! No No NO
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 09, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »

,,,ashkin?
  Facepalm

I don't know how or why...I copied the wrong one. Well Ashkin, you had your minute of fame for this game  Tongue

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »

Curses! The ruse is up!

...But Ashkin is correct. The effect will affect either the whole thing or nothing. Also hi and thanks Blodyavenger!

Today I finished another mini-boss. It guards the aforementioned powerup.

(really confusing, yeah)

Next week I'm going to try to participate in 7DRL, so I wont promise progress, but we'll see! Adding the powerup shouldn't be a problem, so there's not much left to be done of the underwater sector!

EDIT: A tad better:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:45:48 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 09, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »

Nice Jelly mini-boss, can't wait to see it animated.

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 09, 2012, 05:52:20 PM »

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »

You are my new favorite person for that tube mockup. I look forward to this!

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 09, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »

More people should use .gif mockups in their devlogs, especially with real-time games. They're both fun to look at and instantly informative about the progress.

About that last one, I think the water effect is just a little bit too powerful. It's almost at the point of obscuring details and height information. A smaller wobble might be more fitting for the "cute" graphics anyway.
Theophilus
« Reply #110 on: March 09, 2012, 09:33:26 PM »

I'd like to know a little more about how you do these GIF mockups... do you just hold a key that saves a screenshot every frame, then stitch em up? That's what I would do.

Project is looking great. I like the black background... minimal, but at the same time adds atmosphere...
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 09, 2012, 11:53:16 PM »

I use Camstudio for recording, and then just edit the resulting .avi in a gif editor, saving it as a gif afterwards.

sublinimal: I fear you're right, but I really do like the wobble. I'll see what the ~playtesters~ say about it.

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2012, 03:49:31 AM »

...But Ashkin is correct. The effect will affect either the whole thing or nothing.
Can't you give the individual BG tiles a different behavior? As in, move up and down like waves?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »

Is there no blue on your palette you can spare towards the background?

Also, even if he could move background tiles individually, they would look odd when they don't line up.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »

...But Ashkin is correct. The effect will affect either the whole thing or nothing.
Can't you give the individual BG tiles a different behavior? As in, move up and down like waves?

Technically I can, but mokesmoe nailed it; currently the effect is applied as a layer-specific overlay, and the only way to do it differently would be to make it local to every object; this wouldn't work due to them not lining up correctly (+ a couple other things that are caused by how MMF 2 works).

mokesmoe: Here's the full range of blue I have:

Note that the darkest one is already used in the walls in the underwater area. Also I think it'd look silly to have a coloured water but totally black interior areas.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2012, 09:59:05 AM »

hey this looks amazing (i've seen some of this in the pixel/mockup threads and i really love the style of the game)

also i think that that water effect is probably a little strong too; i'd reduce the vertical movement a bit just because it seems like it'd be a little disorientating at the moment (especially considering the small tile size)

that said, i obviously havent played this so i cant really judge on that :v

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

The addition of just bubbles would help loads. Although, it already looks awesome. By the way, do you get any Jellyfish Juice from beating the jellyfish? Tongue

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2012, 11:58:22 AM »

The addition of just bubbles would help loads. Although, it already looks awesome. By the way, do you get any Jellyfish Juice from beating the jellyfish? Tongue

You do, but things brings a gameplay problem: there are no fireplaces in the game!

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2012, 12:32:12 AM »

I tried a couple of mock-ups using that palette.
I wasn't sure how to handle the water colour and tubes though.
Ashkin
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

You do, but things brings a gameplay problem: there are no fireplaces in the game!
There is, however, a volcanic area...
... Time to douse the player in jellyfish juice.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 59
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic