Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:28:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKyoto
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Print
Author Topic: Kyoto  (Read 34100 times)
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2012, 06:38:35 AM »

Cheers, UncleDec. And good luck with that!  Beer!

Now with a proper debugger and console for my engine's virtual machine, it is really starting to feel like a proper development environment for scripting.

offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »

Thanks. Why you chosen GameMonkey? It's better than C++ or Lua? Smiley
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: May 07, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »

My engine is developed in C++ and has bindings to GameMonkey scripting language.

After weighing the pros and cons of several of the popular scripting languages (Lua, Angelscript, etc), I decided to settle on GameMonkey. GameMonkey is coded in C++, so it binds very well to existing C++ engines. It has proper coroutine support (including thread forking, etc) as well as nice global-table data-access patterns.  Furthermore, indices start at ZERO instead of ONE, which is very annoying in Lua. Also supports Ints and Floats types, while Lua has only doubles.  The list goes..

The developers of GameMonkey created the script with Lua in mind, but added tons of features that were more game related. However, the cons of GameMonkey include its small community support in relation to Lua's huge community as well as more programmer-oriented syntax -- GameMonkey is more C-based while Lua is some sort of C/BASIC hybird.

offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 07, 2012, 07:42:01 AM »

eddietree, what font are you using?

I love Lua, and do not use other languages ​​for two reasons may simply not like or a small community, I am afraid that I could not get proper support for any problems in using / learning.
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 07, 2012, 09:57:01 AM »

I agree GameMonkey is a great script library even if the C++ code itself is sometimes a bit ugly. It feel too that it's easier to use than LUA that re-invented a syntax. It's not so far from javascript, too.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »

eddietree, what font are you using?

I love Lua, and do not use other languages ​​for two reasons may simply not like or a small community, I am afraid that I could not get proper support for any problems in using / learning.

The font is called Proggy. It is a nice small monospace font.

Lua is nice, I am not arguing with that. But GameMonkey, to me, feels more applicable for games than Lua, which is more for general purpose use. I have been using GameMonkey for awhile and it is more preferable, in my own opinion. I do agree that if you are starting off, Lua is probably better since it has better documentation and community support.

At my studio (Q-Games), we built the our PlayStation 3 PixelJunk series of games all using GameMonkey. It greatly increases the productivity during prototyping and full production.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »

More non-game related boring engine stuff:

I implemented more tools into my engine to help with debugging and optimization. Now displays line graphs of the performance of various components of my engine allows for real-time detection of performance bottlenecks and such

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2012, 09:29:53 PM »

Also, the game is nearing completion.  Smiley

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 12, 2012, 12:47:53 AM »

This project is insane in positive way Smiley

I like embedding scripting languages, as I like OpenGL now - two reasons why should I follow it  Wink.

(By the way, I have to embed scripting languages myself more often!)

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »

Implemented me some Godrays on the Japanese lantern scene. Fun and easy!

Also, stay tuned for a new build, will be released very very soon.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

Looking great. Looking forward to the new build.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2012, 08:56:27 AM »

...I have to embed scripting languages myself more often!

Embed scripting more often? You only need to embed one!! I'd say the top contenders are Lua or GameMonkey.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:02:27 AM by eddietree » Logged

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »

May I ask you how the GameMonkey compares, according to you, to AngelScript and ChaiScript?
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 12, 2012, 09:59:50 AM »

May I ask you how the GameMonkey compares, according to you, to AngelScript and ChaiScript?

When I was looking for a scripting language, I wanted one with native threading, nice garbage collector (incremental) and simple bindings to C++ functions/types. I have no experience with AngelScript and ChaiScript, but I have heard good things about them as well as others such as Squirrel, Python and even Javascript-V8.

I am by far not an expert on scripting languages, so this might just be nonsensical ramblings. But my thoughts were, since I wanted to focus on cross-platform, the script bindings should not require any such libraries as boost-lib (in Luabind) or any gnarly use of templates, which can slow down build times and is sort of hard to debug.  When I did my initial light research into AngelScript, I was slightly turned off by their templated bind syntax. Heavy use of templates makes me a sad panda. In Chaiscript, I saw Boost headers and I screamed like a little girl.

I mentioned in the previous post about my thoughts on Lua. My company uses Gamemonkey and I found it really easy to use and to bind classes from C++. Also, it was extremely portable, as we were able to have it running on PlayStation 3 dev-kits quite cleanly. It also builds in 64-bit mode, has great support for debugging and many other groovy features.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

Can we has mod
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »

Thanks, that's very useful info for me Smiley
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »

Modding is *technically* possible.  Smiley
I don't know whether or not Eddie plans to keep that functionality exposed though. Personally, I don't see why not.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2012, 05:45:05 AM »

NEW BUILD!!!
[ Download here ]

This build is basically fully featured but I consider it in "beta". It has basically all of the mechanics of the game implemented. The game is quite short and sweet, but there are still a few minor tweaks left to do and the sounds are still in-progress, but I need to push it out to yall for some feedback.

I would greatly appreciate to hear what you have to say about the game. Was the progression obvious and were you stuck on anything? Were you able to make it to the end? What do you think about the graphics? Or does the game just crash on startup? Let me know!

If it does crash, can you please send me an email ([email protected]) and attach the LOG.txt file. Thank you very much!

Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »

Fits the tree
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2012, 06:51:57 AM »

Fits the tree

Your posts... so enigmatic...