Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:09:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKyoto
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Kyoto  (Read 34089 times)
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:20 AM »

I think GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH just smooths interpolation between vertices for connected polygons, it's not a form of AA, however your solution looks great!

I got the AA blues, my friend. Smiley

The problem with GL_*_SMOOTH is that you need alpha-blending on and in 3D the rasterization does not depth-sort correctly. With GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH, if you are unlucky, you sometimes get ugly unwanted artifacts in-between triangles. I've implemented post-processed FXAA on PC and PS3 and generally it looked OK but sometimes lines get distorted and have weird banding artifacts when rendering plenty of crossing lines. I really do believe that multisampling gives the best results but is severely limited by fillrate (pixel shader) bottlenecks.

For 2D, my current solution is usable and consumes very limited fillrate. However, it is kind of annoying to have to manually wrap my polygons around with lines, but it is the cleanest solution I could think of at the moment.

Anyhow, cheers!  Beer!

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »

Do you know why it is cool to be in Kyoto, Japan? Because you can chill with awesome people like Daisuke (Pixel), the creator of Cave Story. What a nice guy! Here is a photo I took with him at our studio and I posted it here for some indie-cred whoring.

Cave Story Cave Story Cave Story

imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »

This is the first and last time I will write these words in this context:

I am so jelly.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

Theophilus
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2012, 05:45:49 PM »

awwwww MAN
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2012, 06:04:13 PM »

That's pretty awesome.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 06:03:00 AM »

Tech demo released, download now!

I also uploaded a

!

I have been quite busy lately, but I managed to implement a few things lately:
- interactive water effects
- dynamic sound panning
- particle effects!
- new mechanics
- new sounds from Jack Menhorn

This is currently just a early tech demo, which means that there is not alot of content. I am releasing it early for yall to try it out and I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the aesthetics, physics, or current gameplay.  Also, I am curious on how smoothly it runs on your machine. Hope you like it.

Enjoy!  Beer!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »

Awesome art style. I look forward to playing this tonight (When I can use my speakers).

On a side note I just got a job in Kyoto. I will be moving there this September Smiley

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

Tears of Joy

This is so splendid I love it I love it I love it I love it

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »

Wow, that's cool. Smiley

ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2012, 02:30:18 PM »

Every time I view this devlog, I get inspired. More, MORE! Kiss
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:48 PM »

Just played around with it. Very relaxing. The tree reactions are really nice.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 07:39:47 PM »

Thanks all for trying it out!  Smiley

I would love to hear more on any of yalls impression on the current build. How you think the physics in the current version feel, does it seem real? Is it fun to interact with it? Does the water feel nice to touch? Etc.

Super thanks for your time and any feedback you may provide.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2012, 05:28:53 AM »

One thing I wanted to do was grab the tree trunk and bend it around. One thought - I think if you had it so that when the player held a mouse button down, it would create a larger effect would be nice. For example, if the mouse was down and you brushed past the water, the ripples would be larger. I think it would give a touch more interactivity.

The game did seem to run much slower on my computer than it did in the videos though.

If you turned this into a longer form game, where you could grow and nurture the trees in different environments, I think that would be amazing.

All these ideas are great! Thanks Gabriel Smiley

I am curious why it runs so slowly on your computer. Can I ask what the specs (CPU and Gfx Card) are? There are alot of graphical stuff going on, but I have been trying to optimize it to run on various computers builds. It saddens me that it does not run at 60hz.

Cheers!  Beer!

screwtape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2012, 01:22:15 AM »

Haha, look what I found in my feeds this morning!
http://indiegames.com/2012/02/demo_kyoto_illogic_tree.html
This game deserves even more attention, it looks fantastic!
offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2012, 01:47:00 AM »

Looks great!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2012, 03:45:52 AM »

Just had a play with it and it's looking and sounding beautiful. Love the sound and music and the way it plays so well with the scene  Kiss Only issue I had was my computer not running it the best.

Also well deserved mention in indiegames for an amazing project  Smiley

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2012, 05:24:17 AM »

Sure:

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU @ 2.67Ghz
RAM: 5.00 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
64-bit Windows 7

I found it weird too, normally my computer runs things just fine.

Thanks Gabriel for sending me your specs. Smiley

What sucks about developing for PC is that, unless your game isn't GPU intensive, you always seem to be developing for a moving target. The graphics code in my project, which perhaps might use the GPU heavily, is supported differently by different vendors (AMD and Nvidia). Also, the drivers might be implemented differently as well which causes vastly different performances from the same API calls. What might be hardware supported in one card might have a shit implementation on another card. That is why I like developing on consoles, because you don't have to worry about that, and you can talk directly to the hardware except jumping thru flaming hoops.

I am getting tons of emails today of people saying that although they like the aesthetics of the game, the lag and slow performance on their machines is really preventing them from really enjoying it. And it just seems weird that even thought your computer is faster than mine that it would lag. It is probably just me being a douchebag and something stupid, and I just need to profile the GPU better.

As you may or may not know, my studio recently ported our PixelJunk Eden game from PS3 to Steam and we had some issues getting the game to run on most cards. The programmers my studio are great and were able to figure it out, I am definitely going to talk to some of the coders at work tomorrow about possible solutions.

Anyhow, thanks for your time.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »

Haha, look what I found in my feeds this morning!
http://indiegames.com/2012/02/demo_kyoto_illogic_tree.html
This game deserves even more attention, it looks fantastic!

Also well deserved mention in indiegames for an amazing project  Smiley

Thank you guys for spotting this! I really can't believe that Kyoto got picked up by IndieGames, especially with only my tech demo. I am very grateful and it makes me feel that maybe I am doing something right for once... Haha

Smiley

kz012
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2012, 06:27:58 AM »

The combination of the artwork, sound and music makes this really beautiful. Keeping an eye on this.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »

If I had to nitpick, the water splashes seem perpendicular to the screen. They need to be skewed a bit.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic