Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:35:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGo Beryllium! Quantum-electrodynamical photon hell
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Go Beryllium! Quantum-electrodynamical photon hell  (Read 4096 times)
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:00:31 AM »

Please take a look at my latest game. It's a 2d bullet-hell shmup about the life of a beryllium atom.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 06:54:54 AM »

I showed your game to a physic student and he seemed perturbated  Beer!

Nice game Smiley

monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 08:13:14 PM »

"Purturbated"? That's greek for highly impressed right?   Gentleman

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 03:59:07 PM »

"Purturbated"? That's greek for highly impressed right?   Gentleman

Hm, my spell check wants to correct that quoted word as "Masturbated".  :D

I was going to reply to this on Shmup-Dev, but it looks like you could use a bump on here.

First off, congratulations on winning! That's a hefty prize!
Next, I'd like to say first I loved the concept. I was considering making a game based on atoms a while ago one day when I was dozing off in science class. Looks like you beat me to it. I'd really like to know what atom the first boss was, since I can't bother to count all those protons and neutrons, and since it's label is out of the screen.(Or just not there.)

The gameplay was fairly solid, I didn't like how repelling bullets took away so much energy, but it deemed necessary. It was kind of hard to pick out the colors you wanted to absorb, since really no enemies drop specific quarks. On a final note of gameplay, I really liked the gravity-based boss' bullet patterns.

The sound&music was amazing. I liked how everything that happened contributed to the overall symphony of music playing. I actually ended up timing my shots and kills to make my own soundtrack  Smiley .

Finally, the graphics were original. Considering I've never seen the concept been done before, I can't help but like the different style. And of course, your great graphical ability contributed to that.(By the way, what do you use for graphics?)

On a final note, I'm still addicted to this game... I just can't get enough of this music.

Cheers to you!  Beer!

monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »

Thanks very much for the feedback Jakman.

The first boss is Uranium (followed by Plutonium and Neptunium). It doesn't actually have the right amount of protons and neutrons - there wouldn't be enough space on screen to fit it all!

All the art for the game was done in Photoshop. Many of the sound effects are made with SFXR - a freeware sound effects program.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:08:39 PM »

Thanks very much for the feedback Jakman.

The first boss is Uranium (followed by Plutonium and Neptunium). It doesn't actually have the right amount of protons and neutrons - there wouldn't be enough space on screen to fit it all!

All the art for the game was done in Photoshop. Many of the sound effects are made with SFXR - a freeware sound effects program.

Oh I see. SFXR is quite addicting to make sounds in, I'll remember to use that if I ever run short on sounds.(Which I probably will...)

Think you could link me to a Photoshop download page as well?  Roll Eyes

Is there any significance to these bosses? I mean, I kind of wondered why you always had(to my knowledge) a large atom for bosses? I would assume you'd have molecules for bosses.(Atomically displayed.)

Oh, and for the record, how many stages are there? I can barely make it to the Neptunium without losing.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »

I thought this was excellent Smiley Congrats on winning, man! (I'll write something more detailed later)

monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »

Jakman - you can download a trial of the latest Photoshop here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/. It's $649 to buy. That may sound a lot, but it's actually really good value, particularly in comparison to the cost of 3D applications.

Not all the bosses are large radioactive atoms, only every 3rd one. The 2nd boss is a Higgs boson and the 3rd is a Micro Black Hole. There are 9 stages in hard mode.

Terry - thanks very much.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »

I like it a lot!  Based on what I saw, the overall mechanics of the game are very original, even if some of the physics things don't make much sense (up quarks give you cathode rays?).  I did not get past the Uranium boss, although I was playing with a keyboard.  The music was nice, and the background Feynman diagrams were a nice touch (although the game could probably do without the crumpled paper background).

Why does getting hit with photons make you lose energy?

My only real complaint is the shield; it uses a lot of energy.  Whenever you use it, it is almost as if you got hit by the photons anyway.

I think I saw this in SHMUP-DEV, but it was an early version (I think).  Very nice work!

~ Theta Games

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 04:31:50 AM »

I definitely enjoy the fresh concept and the visual style (the music, not so much, although I like how the rhythm of your shots blends into the music, plus the idea with the shield which has to be used in time with the music). What really kills it for me is the insane difficulty though. Couldn't even beat the first boss before I lost motivation.
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:30:35 AM »

muku - The game is designed for shoot-em-up fans, so it's pretty hard. Compared to waves mode in GeoWars 2 or something like Ikaruga though, this is relatively easy.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:04 AM »

I find that slightly disturbing... how large exactly is that core demographic which would find this game 'easy'? Shocked Well at least the eegra.com article agrees (ha! eegra? agree?) with me that it's 'hard as hell.' That's slightly consoling. Wink

But don't mind me, you're right that I'm not much of a shmup player. It's certainly a quite polished product with a unique style.
monoRAIL
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

muku - it's not a big demographic! The game's had 560 downloads so far and only 2 people have beaten it on hard mode and 39 have beaten easy mode. Hard as hell is a fair summary, but that's exactly what I was aiming for. If the game had some exposure in Japan then there'd be a lot more completions I'm sure, but as I don't speak Japanese I can't market it on their forums.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic