Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411999 Posts in 69443 Topics- by 58481 Members - Latest Member: Umiii7

June 18, 2024, 05:56:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Love Letter, a five-minute flash game
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The Love Letter, a five-minute flash game  (Read 5980 times)
TaintedFork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »

Oh, yay!

I played this and loved it for Ludum Dare, but it wasn't finished at the time.

Now that it's done, I still love it! Congrats on finishing it.

Sound interesting? Let me know if any of you guys want to hear more about it. Smiley I think it would be great to put this up on GitHub... maybe even release the entire game source so people can steal mod it and learn from it. I put a lot of time into keeping the code clean and elegant so I want to make sure it gets appreciated, hehe. Tongue

I would be very interested in seeing the entire game source. I love stealing learning from people's games and seeing how they work, adding features that I want, etc. :D
axcho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 05:42:02 PM »

I would be very interested in seeing the entire game source. I love stealing learning from people's games and seeing how they work, adding features that I want, etc. :D

Awesome. Smiley This is definitely on the horizon. Once the game is out on all the portals, I'll turn my attention to getting the source onto GitHub...
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »

I really liked it! (Was linked by Christine Love's twitter.) Very adorable.

Got confused by the intro logo thing (spent about 30 seconds clicking on it, being routed elsewhere, coming back...), but I think that is because I am dumb.

Very well done!

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
axcho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:45 PM »

Thank you, and sorry about the confusing intro. Tongue

By the way, I just put The Love Letter up on Newgrounds! Grin

Any ideas for Newgrounds Medals to add? They're basically achievements that you can add yourself, unlike the badges on Kongregate.
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »

Really nice job. My feedback is to not change anything. Its a nice little gem as is. If you do add achievements be careful with them b/c they sometimes feel cheep.

I loled a bunch of times and at one point I was laughing and said out loud "apparently I'm the most popular kid in school" just seconds before reading that in the letter.

Makes me want to do a game jam.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:27 AM »

another human piece of """"art"*" that celebrates high school infatuation
to humans the goal is to start the relationship but you dont know what to do with it. it is always about the proverbial crush.

in The Love Letter a boy escapes the perils of being very popular (that bit was funny, an explanation why all these people desperately want to hang around you: you are THE most popular boy in school omg) to be able to extremely slowly read the letter from a stranger. he must then decide whether to wait for the girl to have a nice talk about feelings NO THEY KISS OMG SPOILERS IT ENDS WITH A BUNCH OF HEARTS, unfit for consumption... the hearts feel rotten. their love is united through their numerous things in common: having black hair and owning pencils. a strong satire that reminds us how stupid teenagers are, and that we must remember we all were a teen once (except me the monster king) and had very stupid crushes, but instead of reminding us how also how these crushes were futile, we indulge here in the realization of these teenage fantasies

score:
gfx: schoolgirls are depicted and it always makes me hungry. the schoolgirls and their male counterparts are recognizable and blushing. Score receives one prime schoolchild rib.
audio: sfxr and that music when people fall in love in cheap movies. sound receives a pacman bleepbloop
frags: NO FRAGS IN THIS GAME a game for NOOBS??? FRAGS RECEIVES A [NOOB] CLANTAG OMG LEARN TO PLAY CAN'T EVEN HEADSHOT KILL DEATH RATIO OF A NEEERD

all in all a nice game about food preparation.
bugninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

This was my personal favorite LD game.

The improvements make it even more amazing.

Any thoughts on putting it on iOS / Android or adding new levels or school layouts and continuing the story of the two love-birds?

Ben McGaughey of Seltice Systems LLC | Indie Game Developer<br />Popular Titles: 9 Iron Ninja, Scorched Monster, Fun-Putt Mini Golf, Touch Pool 2D<br />I'm on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/benmchttp://www.twitter.com/benmc
axcho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »

Thanks for the review, The Monster King. You must have read our minds! Hehe. Wink

Makes me want to do a game jam.

Ha, you should! Grin And thank you. Smiley

This was my personal favorite LD game.

The improvements make it even more amazing.

Any thoughts on putting it on iOS / Android or adding new levels or school layouts and continuing the story of the two love-birds?

Thanks! I've been contemplating the possibility of putting it on iOS - I could see it working with a single-touch to move, and double-touch to read the letter. If I'd made it with Flixel v2.43b it would be an obvious choice, since there's a mostly-working Flixel iOS for that version. But I used Flixel v2.55, so an iOS port would be a pretty involved undertaking. And I don't think knivel's interested in expanding on The Love Letter universe with more levels or anything.

I am planning to release the source code when it's all finalized, so I'm sure we'll see some ripped ports on iOS and Android soon enough... Tongue

Maybe some people will expand the game as well. Smiley
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:39 PM »

This is super cute and I adore it.

it's cute short bite sized and adorable
Felt like it took a little bit longer then needed to read the whole letter start and stop , but that is SO nitpicky you don't even know.

I really enjoyed this, and will be sharing it.

bugninja
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 02:04:03 AM »

Yes, bringing it to iOS would be great - especially with different school layouts - even though the one layout can be played over and over again.

Ben McGaughey of Seltice Systems LLC | Indie Game Developer<br />Popular Titles: 9 Iron Ninja, Scorched Monster, Fun-Putt Mini Golf, Touch Pool 2D<br />I'm on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/benmchttp://www.twitter.com/benmc
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:02 AM »

Great little piece.
I don't see the need to expand. You'd just make the game generic and probably the story would be a disappointment.

Good job, well executed and healthily frustrating.  Tongue

Yeah.
axcho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »

Great little piece.
I don't see the need to expand. You'd just make the game generic and probably the story would be a disappointment.

Good job, well executed and healthily frustrating.  Tongue

Thanks. We also agree that the game is better as a five-minute experience, so I'm glad you think so too. We're glad to be done with it, hehe. Wink

But we did just add ten achievements to the game on Newgrounds! First time I've tried that. Smiley It's quite a bit of work!

Also, Kongregate just gave it a badge too! Pretty exciting! Grin

Anyway, now that we're done with it, I lifted the site-lock, so anyone can host it. I know they've been trying... Tongue
Nat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 07:21:10 AM »

Awesome game! I might do a video review of it on my channel: youtube.com/natnobrains
Completed it quite easily, maybe add difficulty levels?
Anyway, good game,
Nat
Spoonweaver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »

This game is really amazing. Great concept, great graphics, cute story. There's nothing to say, except well done.
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 06:47:25 PM »

It's a really cute game.  I'd love to play more slice of life vignettes like this, maybe have them collected on a website or something.

I Spread the love on Facebook and Twitter!

Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 12:03:09 AM »

♥♥♥

I forgot the last time I smiled and laughed so much at a game. Commendable job! Kiss
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »

I loved it! It was hilarious fun. Oh and grats on the DD, that's how I found it.

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »

I love this well done!!!
clemzio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

I firstly played to the LD22 version, and even if the game experience was pretty interesting and funny, something was clearly missing for a correct game-ending. You corrected that in the latest version while adding extra stuff, and well I think it makes the difference.

I would just add that the pathfinding algo for the other students is way too more aggressive... sometimes you have a huge queue of students following you, it's close to the zombie attack  Grin
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:54 PM »

Nice job really fun little addictive game, couldn't stop playing until I'd read all the letter which was an interesting gaming mechanic.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic