Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411839 Posts in 69418 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Kingboo833

May 31, 2024, 03:27:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Typer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Typer  (Read 7421 times)
junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:11:22 PM »

DUNGEON TYPER

We thought it was high time that Typing Games and Dungeon Crawlers got married, so we've begun working on an unholy abomination called Dungeon Typer. Think Typing of the Dead meets Dungeon Master and you'll get the idea.

Expect randomly generated dungeons, item drops, pixel and chips, barbarians with mullets and ugly ass monsters slashed to gory chunks with the power of spelling!

Mollstam and Aron are the guys chipping away at code, I'm making art, Surasshu is making music and we'll see in what form and shape this thing is released. Stay tuned for more stuff...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:13:06 PM by junkboy » Logged
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »

Yes!

You're making a game out of it!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:17:12 PM »

this looks cool. love the art. I always wanted to make a typing game, but I always thought of something more like mobile texting. blow up a cyclops with "OMFG".

Kramlack
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »

This is incredible. Honestly wasn't expecting a typing game. Wish they looked this good back when I was in public school...
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »

Brilliant, very excited.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

Looks nice, but the art style looks simpler than some of your other work Junkboy. Is this deliberate?
junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 01:59:56 PM »

Looks nice, but the art style looks simpler than some of your other work Junkboy. Is this deliberate?

Well yeah definitely. I want it to be kinda chunky and ugly, like monster doodles scrawled in school book margins. I thought about taking that concept as far as possible visually, making the game look like it really takes place during a D&D session in mom's basement, with the monsters appearing as pencil doodles on lined paper, etc. But pixels are pixels, and this makes more sense as a whole.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »

Maybe it's because the resolution seems lower than your other work, and the shading flatter. Getting a real Atari ST kind of vibe.. Smiley
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »

Remember seeing this in the pixel thread and liked it. Interesting direction you're taking it and think it'll work really well as a typing dungeon game.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:50 PM »

make it so you have to type the names of items to use them.

tons of people will become very excellent at typing 'meat' and 'potion'

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »

Art looks gorgeous
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »

Seriously, it sounds really fun and that screenshot is beautiful! Can't wait to play this!

Ashkin
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 09:24:52 PM »

Yes. How much yes, you ask? Approximately twenty... mega... gallons. I don't know.
A tip: As well as we TIGers, find testers outside of this community. Programmers are notoriously fast typists, so you might need to find slower typists to balance out the difficulty. Also, different difficulty levels, perhaps auto-adjusted according to a test of the player's typing speed in the beginning.
junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »

Thank you guys! Hopefully we can get some ray-cast dungeons up and running soon to show you.

Ashkin: That's a good point, we need to keep that in mind. Although I definitely anticipate that this will be more fast-paced and difficult than the typical grade school typing game, it's a very niche concept after all.
Ashkin
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »

Although I definitely anticipate that this will be more fast-paced and difficult than the typical grade school typing game, it's a very niche concept after all.
Excellent.

Expanding on this, maybe all items have a certain word associated with them randomly, just like monsters, so even using an item is a TYPING CHALLENGEtm
Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »

Perhaps some sort of anagram spotting mode? One or more players, I'm thinking Quarrel.
wuhu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 01:02:17 AM »

Woah love the mockups.
Will this be a completely seamless game? or will players enter a separate battlemode when encountering monsters?
And perhaps as in typing maniac, players have to spell the name of their skills to perform them i.e. type "whirlwind" to cause some aoe damage.
*Edit - Sorry i didn't read one of the posts before me, which has a similar idea

junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 01:02:27 AM »

Although I definitely anticipate that this will be more fast-paced and difficult than the typical grade school typing game, it's a very niche concept after all.
Excellent.

Expanding on this, maybe all items have a certain word associated with them randomly, just like monsters, so even using an item is a TYPING CHALLENGEtm

My idea was to have each item slot in the inventory assigned to the 1-9 keys. So in the mock up above for example you simply press 2 to use MEAT. If we have word combinations for each item we can't spawn monsters using the same word, so in a worst case scenario we'd go from 26 to 17 possible starting letters.
junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 01:09:02 AM »

Woah love the mockups.
Will this be a completely seamless game? or will players enter a separate battlemode when encountering monsters?
And perhaps as in typing maniac, players have to spell the name of their skills to perform them i.e. type "whirlwind" to cause some aoe damage.
*Edit - Sorry i didn't read one of the posts before me, which has a similar idea

I'm thinking battle mode. You explore the dungeon, then - BAM! - you have a random enemy encounter. It buys you a little moment where you can adjust your hands into a typing position, if you prefer to walk using the arrows or numpad. But I think we'll try out both just to see what's more fun to play.
junkboy
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:55 PM »

We now have some pretty rad ascii dungeons up and running! We're going for the gloriously raycast Wolf3D look in the final game.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic