Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 07:50:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 783115 times)
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1980 on: November 26, 2012, 08:33:59 AM »

Working on the next update, next will include a fix for that aforementioned hover text bug and a new spatial hash system used to reduce the CPU load of collision checks.

Based on the metrics system I've implemented, I was doing over 1000 collision checks per frame on an average level before using a naive n^2 object to all other objects check. After implementing a stupidly simple spatial hash, that number is around 12 checks per frame now as an object only needs to check other solid objects within a few tiles of themselves.

I'm not sure what the plan for new dev builds will be. Could just post links to jars here as I've been doing in the past as usually the dev builds are broken enough in some way for them to be only useful for testing purposes Smiley
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: November 26, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »

I'm not sure what the plan for new dev builds will be. Could just post links to jars here as I've been doing in the past as usually the dev builds are broken enough in some way for them to be only useful for testing purposes Smiley
Honestly, while some builds might have had a big bug in them and others might have had halfway done features I'd say the overwhelming majority of dev build have been stable and perfectly playable, definitely not what can be called broken. I for one have always play on the latest dev build.
a6n0rma1
Level 0

I am rubber...you are glue...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1982 on: November 26, 2012, 09:46:54 AM »

Totally agree with Leonick on this one. From the very beginning, i have always been playing the latest alpha dev build and i can say progression is nice and the latest build plays without any major problems that would classify it as broken. Keep it up Chad.
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: November 26, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »

What Leonick said. Save for a few instances (none I can think of off the top of my head), the java build's always been pretty stable.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: November 26, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »

Have always used the .jar, even though the .exe can be run in Steam and I like to show off obscure games.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: November 26, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »

Hm, I think it's kinda silly that it's purely an .exe now.
Mainly because you've been working on all these different features that we could only access by editing files in the jar, and now we can't do that anymore.

PlanetsFly
Level 0

Alpha Tester

View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: November 26, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »

Working on the next update, next will include a fix for that aforementioned hover text bug and a new spatial hash system used to reduce the CPU load of collision checks.

the metrics system I've implemented, I was doing over 1000 collision checks per frame on an average level before using a naive n^2 object to all other objects check. After implementing a stupidly simple spatial hash, that number is around 12 checks per frame now as an object only needs to check other solid objects within a few tiles of themselves.

I'm not sure what the plan for new dev buildBased on s will be. Could just post links to jars here as I've been doing in the past as usually the dev builds are broken enough in some way for them to be only useful for testing purposes Smiley

Nice :D

BTW Thanks for the key Chad!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:01:26 PM by PlanetsFly » Logged
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: November 26, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »

...Wait. The key Int sent me unlocked the Droid version too?
Holy hell! You're the freaking best!

(now if only it would install.)

Drat, looks like the link's busted.

PlanetsFly
Level 0

Alpha Tester

View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: November 26, 2012, 03:40:29 PM »

Hey Chad, I was playing a bit a Delver Alpha 0.65 and usually I get farther than this but when I got to the 2nd level my enemys wouldn't die but i would still lose health..

Can you fix this?

It's only happened to me once tho
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:20:32 PM by PlanetsFly » Logged
Dementor561
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: November 26, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »

CHAD you have to balance arrows and magic. Arrows are rare enough already and they do barely as much damage as a wand so they are useless. This needs to be fixed..
shadow_blob1212
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: November 26, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »

i cant wait to get this game :D Smiley Cheesy
whitewolfmusic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1991 on: November 27, 2012, 04:00:55 AM »

Mainly because you've been working on all these different features that we could only access by editing files in the jar, and now we can't do that anymore.

With the humble store, you have access to versions for all three platforms - Windows, Mac and Linux. The Linux version is still a .jar file, which you can use for modding purposes. Smiley
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1992 on: November 27, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »

With the humble store, you have access to versions for all three platforms - Windows, Mac and Linux. The Linux version is still a .jar file, which you can use for modding purposes. Smiley

The .exe / .app versions will still try to read from an external assets folder too if it's around. For modding I suggest copying the assets folder from the .jar version to an external folder like that which you can edit easier and then zip up to redistribute when you're ready.
PlanetsFly
Level 0

Alpha Tester

View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: November 27, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »

CHAD you have to balance arrows and magic. Arrows are rare enough already and they do barely as much damage as a wand so they are useless. This needs to be fixed..

True
PlanetsFly
Level 0

Alpha Tester

View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: November 27, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »

OMG I made it to level 14 but then I died Sad

Oh BTW Chad do you know by when the new update will release?
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1995 on: November 28, 2012, 07:36:47 AM »

OMG I made it to level 14 but then I died Sad

Oh BTW Chad do you know by when the new update will release?

The next update is going to be basically another round of polish. I want to upgrade to the latest version Lwjgl to hopefully fix some OSX issues, the hud getting cutoff on resize and some music related stuttering, and fix a bunch of lingering smaller gameplay bugs like not being able to pickup items in water and how the potions sometimes change effects between levels.

I'd also like to give the boss more of an introduction, right now he attacks right out of the gate which is a bit unfair considering his beam spell and you barely get a chance to register what you're fighting. I don't want to pause the game to play some custscene though, thinking I could just make his first spell a buff with some fancy visual effects and a brief invulnerability period to give him some more on-screen time.
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: November 28, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »

And of course the .exe file can actually be opened and edited by 7zip (and I imagine most decent archive utilities) in just the same way as you can with the .jar files.

---

So, how's the current plan for dev builds? Sticking with just linking them here?
As pointed on the last page they're usually fully playable and hardly broken so you know, you'd give everyone a way to get the latest version of the game without supporting the project... Then again, I imagine the exe or jar file will end up fairly easy to get without paying anyway, should one want to, so restricting the dev builds might just end up being a waste of time :p...
ImHereForDelver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: November 28, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »

Chad, I was wondering if you were even planning to make an IOS version of Delver, If you did it would be good for you (More sales) and us (More players on mobile).
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: November 28, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »

Things might have changed but I think what he's said before is that he would like to do an iOS version but that would happen first when the game is in a more complete state.
Gix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:03 AM »

I've been following Delver's progress for a while now and, after spending some time playing the 11-03-12 build, I felt like I HAD to tell you how much I've been enjoying your game!

I love rogue-likes and you're definitely getting my support!

I was also looking into the whole texture pack thing and I was wondering: how big are the sprites?  Is the sprite grid a fixed size or is it divided within the picture file?

Keep up the awesome work!

- Gix
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic