Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411917 Posts in 69431 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 11:33:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDelver
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 179
Print
Author Topic: Delver  (Read 785996 times)
Leonick
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: February 26, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »

You're obviously still working on those pillars, but just in case, the texture feels a bit too plain. The center area is all the same colour. Might want to have some small variations in it. I get that it's probably supposed to be polished stone on those areas, but still, feels a bit too plain.

Not sure if i have said this before but the health bar sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything looks great except the health bar. The hud design could also need some work. I assume it's all wip but there you go.
Don't know if you've said a it before, but it definitely has been said before and I agree. I think just changing the gradient would help, have it be a lot softer. It pretty much has to be a bar (or just numbers) the old hearth display while nice becomes rather unwieldy when you start increasing your health.
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3261 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »

Just don't forget about the "retro mode" that people wanted... I'd just as soon play the original looking version if the gameplay was more interesting!

How is the close combat coming along, for example? Are there more interesting trap mechanics planned?

But the modular solution to the pillars and stuff sounds neat, because that means you can just flag them to be invisible when "retro mode" is switched on.

Stuff like the arches will probably be flagged with some sort of detail level number, so that we can control the LOD via a slider in the graphics options. I know some phones would fall over if we tried to throw too much geometry at them. That combined with the retro texture pack would give you something similar to screenshot #1 Smiley

For close combat, I'm still mulling over how to add shields without them just being damage sponges. There has to be some player controlled aspect to blocking, whether it's just holding down the block button and not being able to move / moving really slow or having the block be timed somehow, sort of like a parry system.

I'd like to throw some dungeon chunk specific traps and puzzles into the mix along with the totally random ones. It wouldn't be a dungeon crawler without some teleport mazes.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3262 on: February 26, 2014, 10:13:04 AM »

I forgot to mention: the images above are me exploring a creative space and don't necessarily reflect what may ultimately end up in Delver. Just me having fun.

I'm a little apprehensive about simply turning off the decorative geometry. In most cases you end up with overly large strangely shaped rooms. I'd rather produce an entirely different set of tiles aimed at lower performing devices.

And I think a retro mod, rather than a retro mode would be a better option. Wink

Edit:
I posted a small breakdown on my website.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:22:55 AM by Joshua » Logged

ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: February 26, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »

So I've begun work on that secret project to commemorate the 2 year anniversary of Delver becoming playable! :D its been a hell of a journey but its not over yet! I will be following this game for a long time to come and have become enamored with the community and charm of the game. thanks for the last 2 years of fun and may there be many more!!

Whats this do? *presses button* oops.....there goes the rockets.....
Echelon5
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: February 26, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

What if the shields durability and break after a certain amount of hits?
LiberalNerdism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3265 on: February 26, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »

Man I've been playing this game since the alpha iteration was available and it's one of the games I spend the most time on via Steam these days. Just wanted to say I love it  Tears of Joy
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: February 26, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »

I'm thinking shields could be considered a weapon type. The charge-up prevents you from taking knockback and blocks projectiles, and the release deflects projectiles, disarms humanoid enemies (if you counter their melee attack), and deals minor damage. Lightning pierces shields unless you drink an Arcane Potion, so you can't just shield up to the final boss without being very prepared and quick to deflect.

Note: It will not reduce melee damage at all. Maybe it should have a counter, like a wand's ammo, for how many more projectiles it can block before it becomes just a weapon.
Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3267 on: March 05, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »

Since I've been spending quite a bit of time in the editor lately, thought I'd give the icons a little love. We've also been working on improving the usability of the editor, and I'd love to hear feedback from the folks brave enough to try it out.

ronare
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: March 06, 2014, 05:32:30 AM »

Just wanted to say, I've been following Delver for some time but the new visuals really made me impulse-buy the game. You guys nailed the atmosphere, too. keep up the great work!  Beer!
Conker534
« Reply #3269 on: March 06, 2014, 07:59:05 AM »

What a bangin' game.
ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »

Since I've been spending quite a bit of time in the editor lately, thought I'd give the icons a little love. We've also been working on improving the usability of the editor, and I'd love to hear feedback from the folks brave enough to try it out.
how do we get a testing version of the new editor?

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3271 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »

id love to get a new build of this, but i wont rush you. take your time,
also: the arches and stuff look amazing!
the pit looks like it needs a bridge or something, and a bunch of water way down at the bottom of the chasm!

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3272 on: March 10, 2014, 11:30:32 AM »

I've been finding and killing rendering and processing bottlenecks lately to let Joshua throw more polygons at things. One of the benefits of this is that we can throw more detail at the level tessellating as well, so I've been able to subdivide walls to be more conducive toward lighting the world and now I can make fully 3d lights without going fully down the per pixel lighting road.

Here's some screenshots showing that new tessellation and lighting system:

how do we get a testing version of the new editor?

I could put it up as a dropbox link if people wanted to check it out before it goes up on the Beta branch of Steam.
ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: March 10, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »

id love to get my hands on it! thanks!

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3274 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:31 AM »

This was way harder than it should have been. Thanks Java swing library! I should just switch the editor over to being completely OpenGL driven, it probably would have been easier that way.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3275 on: March 13, 2014, 12:08:59 PM »

Whoa. You totally read my mind.  Kiss

ArsenioDev
Level 0

Pic Y u no change?

View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: March 14, 2014, 09:20:14 AM »

This was way harder than it should have been. Thanks Java swing library! I should just switch the editor over to being completely OpenGL driven, it probably would have been easier that way.

Mapmakers rejoice! :D delver editor is becoming awesome!

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3277 on: March 14, 2014, 04:11:46 PM »

Here's the latest editor, give it a spin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dszdhj4m1ppk871/delvedit-3-14-14.jar

Notes:

The editor now has two tile editing modes that can be switched between, Carve and Paint. To use both, select an area and hit the 'Enter' key.

Entities and Markers are now added solely through the right click menu. Select the tile you want to put something on, right click, and pick it from the list. There's a new assets/data/entities.dat file that's used to populate the entities list, that's going to become the database of commonly placed entities.

In the entities list you'll see Prefabs listed as well. These are versions of entities that aren't baked into the level, but rather the information is fetched at runtime from that data/entities.dat file - useful for making things match everywhere without having to find and tweak every instance.

With an area selected, the 'V' key switches between vertex and edge mode.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:21:58 AM by Interrupt » Logged
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3278 on: March 14, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »

Hey, not bad! Smiley

I definitely admire a dev who builds his own tools, and this seems like a great start. The persistent region selection (until you press esc) feels a little odd. In most editors (text, 3d, image) you'd typically hold shift or ctrl to add to an existing selection and just click and drag to start a new selection.

I'd like to see an alternative camera mode, maybe something that stays at a locked angle and is has a zoom in/out. Like a civilisation/simcity camera I suppose.

The right-click menu also seems to stay shown until I select a menu item. I think right-click could be better used to do something, like deselect, pick a tile, etc. The entity menu etc could be activated by pressing space.

Anyways, there's my 2c and I'm sure you've already considered all of that! Smiley

Interrupt
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3279 on: March 15, 2014, 10:27:37 AM »

Hey, not bad! Smiley

I definitely admire a dev who builds his own tools, and this seems like a great start. The persistent region selection (until you press esc) feels a little odd. In most editors (text, 3d, image) you'd typically hold shift or ctrl to add to an existing selection and just click and drag to start a new selection.

I'd like to see an alternative camera mode, maybe something that stays at a locked angle and is has a zoom in/out. Like a civilisation/simcity camera I suppose.

The right-click menu also seems to stay shown until I select a menu item. I think right-click could be better used to do something, like deselect, pick a tile, etc. The entity menu etc could be activated by pressing space.

Anyways, there's my 2c and I'm sure you've already considered all of that! Smiley

Thanks for giving it a shot! A Blender like menu accessed through space does sound like a cool way to free up right click. Persistent selection probably does need to die, I'll pull that out.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 179
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic