Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:21:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pixel Sprites in 3D spaces with After Effects
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Sprites in 3D spaces with After Effects  (Read 1900 times)
dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »

So as a video guy who loves working with Adobe After Effects, I've done a few projects with 2D pixelated sprites in 3D spaces.

My first significant attempt was a

, which I did for starmen.net's 2011 Earthbound Fanfest (I also did the instrumental cover behind it). Got first in Audio/Vis!

Since then, I did an intro for twitch.tv webcaster MANvsGAME (who's awesome!) in the same sort of style, except this time I, did the pixel art myself:

edit: I should add that MAN is friends with Souleye of VVVVVV fame, who did the intro music! Kickass.

I have a lot of fun doing these, but I don't know what they're good for besides fan stuff and in support of video content. Trailers? But then the trailer isn't representative of the gameplay. Thoughts appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:25:35 PM by dorkus1218 » Logged

My audio and video work (mostly game related): http://www.danfitzgeraldav.com/
The game I'm working on: Dog Sled Saga
Devlog for Dog Sled Saga: here
ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:17:48 PM »

Really cool.

leonelc29
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:39 AM »

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF MOTION GRAPHIC!

well, i really love motion graphic, and your earthbound is really cool.

I have a lot of fun doing these, but I don't know what they're good for besides fan stuff and in support of video content. Trailers? But then the trailer isn't representative of the gameplay. Thoughts appreciated.
Motion graphic can be applied into game as well. Remember some cutscene from Bastion? Remember Paper Mario? Some time ago i stumble upon a game teaser that use motion graphic, of course it doesn't represent the gameplay, since it's a teaser, so gameplay is unnecessary. I've done some of this stuff for school project, as well as some promotional video for school event.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:29 PM »

Great 3D Winters video.

dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »

Thanks guys :D Very cool advice, Leonelc. Didn't think about in-game video content, and I would definitely love to do that.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »

Yeah definitely think you'd be suited for making game intros and cutscenes. Know I don't find it easy when I'm working on my game ones.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:31:05 AM »

Really like that Winters video, even though I'm not really a fan of the whole "pixelated sprites in 3D" aesthetic. Wish you had represented the height variation in the cliffs instead of just making it one flat plane, but it's still pretty cool.

And yeah, something like this would probably be best for things like cutscenes, intro cinematics, etc. The whole "flat sprites in 3D" thing in general also has some applications, as someone else said the Paper Mario series does this and looks great.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »

Wish you had represented the height variation in the cliffs instead of just making it one flat plane

I really wanted to do that! Unfortunately, After Effects isn't really capable of, or at least suited for that kind of modeling. I have since experimented with some actual modeling software.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic