Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411840 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

May 31, 2024, 06:06:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE  (Read 91651 times)
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've some experience in drawing, and I'd love to contribute by making sprites- only problem is, I'm not too sure how.
Sounds good.

Is there a required pixel size?
Just compare whatever you're working on to the sprites that already exist. A typical humanoid, for example, should be about 50 pixels tall.

Should I just post them on the forums in .gif format?
Animated gifs work fine. If you prefer to save animations as strips, or as pngs, that's okay, too. Just don't use jpegs.

Do I use MS paint?
MSPaint is fine, if that's what you're familiar with. It won't let you save animations, though. Graphics Gale is a popular pixel art program, but you can't save animated gifs without the full version, so you'll have to copypasta into something else. I use GIMP for my animations, although it takes some time to get used to. I hear paint.net is good, too. Of course, if you have some commercial program, you can use that instead.

Really, just use whatever you're comfortable with.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 07, 2009, 08:46:12 PM »

I usually use the gamemaker image editor for gifs, but I have to save them in something else before I upload them because GM doesn't loop gifs.
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 07, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

GM doesn't loop gifs.
Cheesy

EDIT: I'm sorry, I'm sure there's some practical reason for this.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »

Undecided

When you post it online, people only see the animation once. Then it stops. So it's hard for others to get a feel for what the animation is like.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 07, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »

I think he's laughing at the fact that GM isn't able to export looped gifs. But really, that's the least of GM's drawbacks if you're trying to use it as an image editor.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 07, 2009, 11:06:36 PM »

My only alternative is GIMP, and I refuse to makes animations in layers. Just too counter-intuitive.
(and no I'm not going to copy-paste from GG)

And to make it even better, I start my base sprite in paint. I just slowly move my image through better image programs until it's finished.
godsavant
« Reply #186 on: December 07, 2009, 11:07:29 PM »

With all these new assets and rebalanced characters, is there a chance we'll see a new release soon?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: December 07, 2009, 11:21:57 PM »

Hopefully this week. Don't hold me to that, though.

I've been busy with school recently, but now that I'm on break, I'm working pretty heavily on this.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2009, 04:36:31 AM »

The new sprites slowed me down a bit. I'm back at school now, but I should be able to finish up a new release in a few days.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2009, 05:42:40 PM »

You didn't say not to hold you to that, so I'm holding you to that. Smiley
ink.inc
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »

What do people here think about victory poses?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »

They're cool, but a lot of work, so they're not worth dealing with until far into the future.

thatbrod
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 13, 2009, 03:20:47 PM »

Are you guys still accepting playable characters, or is everything submitted just going to be support?

shig
« Reply #193 on: December 13, 2009, 03:30:33 PM »

As far as I know, it's still possible, but not very likely. Depends on the character, I guess.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: December 13, 2009, 05:54:57 PM »

Feel free to suggest someone. We've got a pretty full roster, but if it's a really good idea, we will add it. Otherwise, we could always come back to your suggestion after more work has been done.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 25, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I didn't want to revive all those old threads with a single image. Just whipped up three stage portraits for the current finished stages:

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 25, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »

are they just squashed images? a quick redraw over them could do a world of good  Hand Thumbs Up Right

no offence or anything i think they're great as they are  Cheesy

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: December 25, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »

Yep, they are just resized. Redrawing them would take some extra time, which we can do later, but for now this should do (and is still better than brown frames with the name typed inside).

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 25, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »

haha yeah. i may just go and do it myself sometime.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 10, 2010, 04:51:15 PM »

Feel free to suggest someone. We've got a pretty full roster, but if it's a really good idea, we will add it. Otherwise, we could always come back to your suggestion after more work has been done.

Been watching this since it started. Roster looks good, full, and perfect, but it's a bit surprising that the guy from Soldexus has never been suggested. I always thought that was one of the more iconic indie games. Seems built for this kind of thing. Although there's already several sword-wielding characters with ninja abilities.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic