Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:08:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLast Ascent
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Last Ascent  (Read 3223 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2013, 12:52:41 AM »

120 days? Try... 395, give or take a few..

S'a long time...

Last Ascent's first recorded (I've forgotten the first day I actually started on it) birthday's coming up.
Y'know, I didn't even realize it, up until a few days ago...
Lemme start from the beginning of this, I guess, might come out of left field, so bear with me.

See, I was watching my dad play Skryim, advancing through the Dark Brotherhood quests. When I thought about making a game about just that. Getting a contract and killing someone, all for the favor of a dark god, but randomly generated contracts and levels, with ways to kinda kill how you want.
So, I sat down to talk with one of my friends about the idea. Didn't really talk about much, before I started trying to use some old art for the project, from a plaformer rougelikeish idea. I didn't like how small it was, so I up-sized and smoothed it out. Came out quite well, if I do say so myself. I had used specifically that art because I wanted to use a character from Last Ascent as the character in the assassination game, just like I wanted to use a different one for the rougelike game.
I told my friend this, and he started asking for the stories of these characters, who they were and why they had ended up in the tower. Being a deathmatch type game, I hadn't thought of it too much. I gave him some rough details, and kinda out of nowhere, he spits a story back at me. It wasn't much, but it got me thinking... I've kept trying to use these characters for something, why not put them back where they belong? But this time, do something different. No deathmatch, no multiplayer. Just the characters, the tower, the story, and the game.
S'all that really matters, right? The who, the where, how and why. I just have to make them entertaining.

You may have seen me trying out 3D models, looked something like this:

Well if you've been following what I've been doing in the pixel art thread, you may not be surprised to see that it will likely look something like this instead:

I'm thinking something a bit more RPG-ish, like final fantasy. But with less of a clear distinction between "exploring" and "fighting", so where you are in the world when you enter battle, could matter. Especially if there are traps around..

I'd post more but the text editor here seems to be lagging a bit with how long it is now.
(In viewing the preview for this post, it's weird seeing the 3D wanderer s close to the 2D one...)

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »

Have I mentioned I hate spriting grass and dirt?
And anything natural for that matter..

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »

Wanted to post this about 12 hours ago, but the forums went down.

So I was thinking about the different classes, and the roles they served. See, originally, they were all going to be playable, but now with some getting delegated to being NPCs, things have changed a bit. With the Mage, Knight, Blacksmith, Merchant, Priest, and Void Knight being locked in as NPCs for the story, rather than players, I need to fill the roles they left behind. Specifically the ones the Mage, Knight, and Priest had filled. I also want to introduce some other races, because the world (I jokingly call it Last Ascentia) is a vast place, filled with more than just humans.
And let's face it, humans are boring.
So with that in mind, here's the character that will fill the role of 'healer' with also a bit of a combat role (Kinda like a Red Mage? My FF knowledge is fuzzy):

The Alchemist

I love the idea of Gnomes being eccentric fellows, with crazy hair and fancy clothes.
Being an alchemist, he can concoct special potions on the fly to heal/damage allies/enemies. Most of the time, you have a choice on what the potions do, but one ability he has is to brew a random potion, which you will then have the choice of using on your party, or the enemy.
I think I'll make it so that if you watch what he puts together, or perhaps he'll talk to himself as he's mixing ingredients, which will give hints to what he's making, so that it's not a complete shot in the dark.

As for the roles of offensive magic and tank, I'm not sure yet.
I do know I want the tank to be some sort of scaled creature, lizardpeople or half-dragon would probably be the case. Perhaps a Naga? Hm, again I've yet to decide on that.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic