Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 06:24:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOrdeal of the Damned
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ordeal of the Damned  (Read 12495 times)
Carefree games
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »

This tileset mockup I created has inspired me to make a game.

Introduction:
Untold millennia ago, in the true history, was a dark age when demoniac beasts reigned over humanity. At first the humans had struggled against the enormous power of these beasts, but in time they came to see grim reality and so lost the will to retaliate. Entire civilizations fell into fearful domestication. Most humans were preyed upon, where many others were enslaved - condemned to construct the beasts' lairs. Any settlements greater than a small village were annihilated. Those few, fortunate souls who were left unscathed lived on to replenish the population as the beasts lied dormant and awaited their next feast of blood. It is within this cycle of death and rebirth that humans were oppressed for countless generations, and where this story begins.

So that, ladies and gentlemen, is the premise of this game. I could go on, but I do not want to give away any more than I already have.

Characters:
When the game begins you will be presented with a character select screen. In addition to affecting gameplay, each character will also have a unique introduction. As of now I'm not decided on who each of these characters will be.

Survival:
If you don't find food and eat, you will become famished and die. If you do not rest you will pass out. The more energy you exert, the more quickly you will become tired and hungry. Your inventory will be limited in one form or another, so you may have to make difficult decisions about what you need and what can be left behind. Some creatures, take rats for example, may carry a disease which can inflict you if you were to be bitten or eat it's meat. If you sleep in a vulnerable position, you may wake up to combat or find your items stolen. The dungeon environment requires you to keep your wits about you at all times.

Exploration:
At frequent points in the game, you will be presented with options for where you want to progress. In this way, the dungeon branches off into may possible routes - some lead to the end of the game while others lead to various alternate locations. Any player who wants only to complete the game may take easier or otherwise more direct routes to do so. However, taking a more difficult route will lead to additional rewards as well. Backtracking will be kept to a minimum necessity, though in most cases will be possible.

Puzzle Solving:
Puzzles will play a major role in gameplay as the player navigates through the dungeon. Their answers will range from obvious to obscure, and most(if not all) of them will be unique from any other puzzle in the game.

Platforming:
No wall jumps, double jumps, or stomping enemies on their heads - just basic navigation. The physics will not be 'floaty,' meaning that you stay more or less close to the ground when you jump and falling too far will get you injured or killed. You will have the ability to grab onto ledges and climb. The platforming is intended to make moving from point A to point B much more interactive and add another dimension of skill to the game.

Combat:
Combat is merciless - if you don't have the skill necessary to defeat an enemy, you will be injured or die as a consequence. When attacking you'll typically have two options - hit high or hit low. This is the same when defending. These are the basics of combat, and apply to most enemies as well. Whether or not you will be able to find weapons and/or learn magic to increase your effectiveness in combat is yet to be determined. While enemies and bosses dwelling in the dungeon are occassional obstacles for the player to overcome, it is intended that the dungeon itself be the real and ever-present antagonist.

So, that's what I've got right now. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 02:50:26 PM by Nonsuch Games » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:37:22 AM »

Loving it. Very simple-but-divine, kinda sounds like La Mulana meets Sonic the Hedgehog. Given the difficulty range you're going for, I'd consider consulting Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden, and maybe Zelda II where combat mechanics are concerned.

I'd gladly help if I weren't overburdened at this point as it is...

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:10:03 AM »

Love the mock up and palette, a lot of detail with just those 3 colors Kiss

I loves me some pixely exploration puzzle platformers.

Carefree games
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:11:07 AM »

@baconman: Yeah, something like Zelda II might work well. I really like the upper hit/lower hit mechanic.

Anyhow, today I'm working on refining the design some more. Probably for the next couple of days too. I might tinker with the colors of the tileset(as in, multicolor) as well.

I found a programmer! Hand Shake Left Grin Hand Shake Right
vlaube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:04 AM »

Could this be a Roguelike + Metrovania?

Finished: Working on:
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »

I'm glad you're saying this is going to be a game.  Grin Good luck!
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »

Beautiful. You chose mint green! Kiss

Carefree games
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 06:07:22 AM »

So, I ended up messing around with animation yesterday and came up with this:

Dryad

Idle
High Hit
Low Hit
Root Grapple (Immobilize target, but allows for attacking & blocking/dodging)

It's an enemy! I might use it as a base for all human/humanoid sprites, but with appropriate variations of course. I'm pretty happy with it for my first shot, though some of the colors are a little off... oops! I'm using an additional mid-ground color for characters.

I've also made some decisions about inventory layout/capacity, character/class selection, level progression, and the whole resting/eating concept. Once I have a good amount of detail on the design I'll be posting it all at once.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »

So what will the programmer code this in?

Carefree games
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »

Java.

Since I'm posting:

I was messin' with the cholor scheme. Not sure if I like three colors or four colors more. It'll probably be four colors, since I'll be using the additional color for characters anyway.

I'll be updating tonight or tomorrow with details about the design.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »

oh god it loops!
was that intentional?

Carefree games
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »

Nope.

Update! Check out the first post. I'll have one more update on gameplay in a day or two, after which I'll be moving on to graphics, graphics, and more graphics. Smiley
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 02:57:26 PM »

Green is 100x better because it either reminds you of the Gameboy screen or certain LED displays.

The brown is just... bland...

ShinnyMetal
Level 0

I can makes musics!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 03:22:16 AM »

I remember seeing this in the art section (or was it design?...Iunno). beautiful use of monochrome btw. I'm curious as to what kind of music you were looking for on this?

Carefree games
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »

Not sure about the music yet... I'll be trying to make my own music for this, but if that doesn't pan out I'll be asking. Either way, it won't be a concern for a while.
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 06:02:31 AM »

There are too many Untitled games in the Devlog board for my liking – let's help give this game a name! GentlemanToast Right
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 07:02:06 AM »

I'm the wizzard of this project, AmA

BTW the game suffers because it has no name
Carefree games
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »

Only once it has a story can an appropriate name be chosen.

I'll make that my priority... right now.
MrDodo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 09:17:13 AM »

It looks very good! I like the idea and the combination of survival/exploration/platform/puzzle... it could be something quite amazing.

Carefree games
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »

Update! I've got a title. Introduction(part of the story) and character sections have been added to the first post.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic