Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:54:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 139427 times)
Lain
Level 0

Lain Trzaska

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: January 02, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »

Whats been bothering me a little is that, because the rain sprite is angled and not straight but goes straight down, it kind of looks like the rain is falling backwards.

It's an optical illusion fixed by making the rain go -X amount of pixels every so often or making the rain sprite straight.

Just a minor thing thats been bugging me.

EDIT:
To clarify "rain going backwards"..
Because of the angle of the raindrop, you would expect the trajectory to be a certain way, in this case to the left.

But because it goes straight down it looks like it goes slightly backwards instead of to the left which you would expect.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: January 03, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »

Regarding the trailer, I'd suggest using a different font on the cutaway text, that one seems a little out of place. I think it'd be better if it didn't cut away to a black screen to show the text either, maybe fade in on top of the game play then fade out whilst increasing size slowly; I think that would suit the sort of mysterious/ambient vibe of the music more than suddenly switching to a black background.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 03, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »

Thanks guys - text scrolls a bit faster, made the rain move a bithorizontally. Looks good. Claw thanks, will probably change that.

Polish is good!

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: January 04, 2013, 09:14:28 AM »

Trailer feedback: I'd change the font when it says "explore..." "...fight..." and so on. It's good for long texts, but it doesn't have the punch for these short words. Check out dafont.com, there are some good free fonts there.

I'd also remove the ellipsis ("..."), they are distracting and give, at least to me, an uninterested tone to whoever is telling me I can explore and fight. Like "yeah, you can explore... but it's kinda boring...".

It's a decent trailer, if only a bit sad and lonely. I guess it fits the game, though. At least you're not giving the wrong impression, it's just that the impression isn't the most pleasant one.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 04, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »

Trailer feedback: I'd change the font when it says "explore..." "...fight..." and so on. It's good for long texts, but it doesn't have the punch for these short words. Check out dafont.com, there are some good free fonts there.

I'd also remove the ellipsis ("..."), they are distracting and give, at least to me, an uninterested tone to whoever is telling me I can explore and fight. Like "yeah, you can explore... but it's kinda boring...".

It's a decent trailer, if only a bit sad and lonely. I guess it fits the game, though. At least you're not giving the wrong impression, it's just that the impression isn't the most pleasant one.

Yes, good points. I'll look for another font. I'm glad at least it gives off that impression.

Wondering what facets of the game I could bring out otherwise to make it less that way, though maybe it's okay - after all the themes of the game are not happy ones (perhaps...hopeful, but that may be hard to do in a trailer), and very much things in the game are related in some ways to sadness/loneliness, etc.

I'll work on all the suggestions (probably today) and we'll see how it turns out.

play hydlide 2
poe
« Reply #345 on: January 04, 2013, 05:45:47 PM »

After people play it, ask them their favorite parts. Put those in a trailer?
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 05, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »

People seem to like the game in generla from the many people who've played it at MAGFest.

Anyways, MAGFest helpe dme to fix a afew small design issues and bugs. I'm putting in a Sound Test right now, and now I'm definitely done with any secret mini-dungeons that may or may not be in the game...

I probaly should have gone with other people to MAGFest or be more outgoing - I just work on game and stuff after sitting at the table booth thing. Oh well.

hopefully we get pax east indie mobile, but that seems tough...we'll see.

At least I met some cool devs and people there. Saw a few tigsourcers too!

play hydlide 2
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 05, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »

That gif makes me chuckle

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 05, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »

Aw yeah, pre-ordered!

poe
« Reply #349 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:06 AM »

People seem to like the game in generla from the many people who've played it at MAGFest.

Anyways, MAGFest helpe dme to fix a afew small design issues and bugs. I'm putting in a Sound Test right now, and now I'm definitely done with any secret mini-dungeons that may or may not be in the game...

I probaly should have gone with other people to MAGFest or be more outgoing - I just work on game and stuff after sitting at the table booth thing. Oh well.

hopefully we get pax east indie mobile, but that seems tough...we'll see.

At least I met some cool devs and people there. Saw a few tigsourcers too!

I always disliked bike girl, but watching you drown is a new low.
herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »

Hi. I just played a small bit of the demo (yeah, I'm a bit late to the party..).

Some first-impression feedback:

I have the impression that you're giving too much information, specially with the level design and the controls.
IMO you don't have to tell the player to move, since you're using the arrow keys, and you don't have to show how to interact with stuff since the game starts with a 'press c key'. Repeating this messages in the game can be a bit repetitive and break the 4th wall -even if you just started playing. Also, I think some bits of dialog break the immersion (i can't remember details right now).

The first puzzles('press keys, open gate' and 'grab key, open door') look too simple to me, too. Kind of forces the player to take baby steps. Don't tell the players what to do, let them discover it by themselves.

A small detail: when you teach the player how to open the menu (also unnecessary since it says ENTER on the HUD Tongue), you say something like: 'you'll discover things about you and your surroundings'. Open the menu, empty. :S

I like the atmosphere, the text (and the text sound), the postmodern feeling in some dialogs (earthbound-ish), the generic names, the visuals in general, and the broom <3

I'll play and post more feedback later.

Just out of curiosity, how important is the meta game to you? It has any relevance in the game?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 06, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »

I'll respond more in a bit, about the design stuff, I'm on my phone atm - how do you define metagame? Glad you like it!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 06, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »

Thanks Alec and Drake!

poe, I think you'll grow to like bike person! hopefully!

herror:

We tell that much in the intro areas because we think it's necessary - a lot of people I've seen playing live will take a while to figure out how to advance dialogue or do anything, even after the title screen - the 'C' thing is helpful in that regard.

It does break immersion a bit, but I think there's no way around it - it's better than leaving them confused for a few seconds (or longer!) The messages are only there at those points though.

The smae idea goes for hte intro dungeon. It is purposely easy, but at the same time it's reinforcing the notion of things opening gates, and basic navigation - the intro dungeon is purposely overdesigned because we want the rest of the game to not be hand-holdy, so you need to guarantee every player has the necessary set of tools. (It's worked very well in almost every person playing so far, as far as how it goes in practice).

play hydlide 2
herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:32 AM »

Well, if you really need to keep it, do it; at least it's short and intuitive. Works well as a tutorial, but I really dislike tutorials, so :/

With meta game I mean that there's a dialog that talks about the game ('you'll need a weapon.. oh well that's a broom but hey.'), and it breaks a bit the 4th wall. But just 'a bit'.
For example in Sword and Sorcery all the writing (except the ending) purposely breaks the immersion, as a marketing tool. Earthbound gives you tips about the game in the way you do it with the 'monoliths', but Earthbound tries to give it a comical/childish/postmodern tone.

I can't see why are you doing it (but I just played like 10 minutes!).

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »

Oh, yeah, that - don't worry, there's a reason for that. Smiley

play hydlide 2
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 07, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »

With meta game I mean that there's a dialog that talks about the game ('you'll need a weapon.. oh well that's a broom but hey.'), and it breaks a bit the 4th wall. But just 'a bit'
Iunno, that's how I talk to myself (except 'I' instead of 'you')

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 07, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »

Modified Trailer. The font is messed up and squished when I render (I don't know why), but pretend that it's actually not like that (I'll fix it later).

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: January 07, 2013, 05:51:03 PM »

It's looking better, I don't have any further comments.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #358 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:53 AM »

Modified Trailer. The font is messed up and squished when I render (I don't know why), but pretend that it's actually not like that (I'll fix it later).

That's much better regardless of the squished font :D

the only comment is that the words like Explore and Fight comes after the action happen
I think it would be better if Explore appear then after it completely appear the transition of the scenes happened.
Also for fight I think the same the player don't hit the enemy until the word fight completely appear.
The last sentence about discover land of dreams fades quickly and I think its better to make the scenes in it more weird like the one he is falling in the portal I like it, if u have another weird scenes like that will be nicer than just moving Smiley
Also the scene while climbing the long tower I didn't like when he stops in the middle.

But overall that's really a nice trailer I like it Smiley

poe
« Reply #359 on: January 08, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »

Definitely better.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic