Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:25:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonster Commander - Tactical RPG - New Demo 3/23
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Monster Commander - Tactical RPG - New Demo 3/23  (Read 37477 times)
mbel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 05:37:29 AM »

Game looks super cool, I've tried to run all builds you've linked here, unfortunately none of them works on my machine. I'm running Windows 7 (x64 version), when I try to start the game dialog with 'Failed to load the game data. File seems corrupted.' appears, then game quits without displaying any other windows (there is nothing on stdout or stderr either).

Anyway, graphics are gorgeous and idea seems to be quite playable, I'm looking forward to playing some future build Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2012, 10:08:11 AM »

Pokemon meets Turn based Tactical games?
That's basically how I came up with the idea. Tongue

As for the AI: maybe try some simpler/subtler approaches. When you try to make very deep and "smart" AIs, you at time end up with enemy opponents which are pretty much very predictable (cause they always try to do the "best" thing and players might be very good at identifying certain patterns). This might be a welcome result or not.
Yeah, I'm simplifying the AI a bit, and it seems to be making a significant difference. A lot of the issues came from the way I was ordering the monster turns. It's slightly less smart now, but a lot more efficient. The AI might still end up being predictable, though, so I'll add some slight randomness to it.

On the other hand, you could implement some very simple rules for the AI and then let randomization and the current game state determine the kind of actions the AI performs. (Think how algorithms for procedural levels are able to create pretty awesome layouts out of a few basic rules).
That's a cool idea. I don't know how well it would work in this game, since the monsters are so diverse. I'll keep it in mind for future projects though.

I don't know how you're doing the AI now, so this may not be an improvement, but: when I was making my own turn-based tactical game I found Dijkstra maps invaluable.  Essentially from each unit you spread out a set of scores which change with distance to that unit (possibly stopping at some maximum distance).
The current problems have more to do with how turns are planned overall, so it's not immediately applicable. I'll be starting on long-term movement planning soon, though, so it'll be relevant in the near future. Thanks for the great explanation. Smiley

Looks great, when can i trow money at it?  Blink
Thanks! I can't accept money until I have a clearer vision of the game's future, though.  Wink

Game looks super cool, I've tried to run all builds you've linked here, unfortunately none of them works on my machine. I'm running Windows 7 (x64 version), when I try to start the game dialog with 'Failed to load the game data. File seems corrupted.' appears, then game quits without displaying any other windows (there is nothing on stdout or stderr either).
This is distressing, since it's such a generic error. Did you unzip the game's folder?

mbel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:25 PM »

Quote from: Soulliard
This is distressing, since it's such a generic error. Did you unzip the game's folder?
Yep, it was unzipped. I managed to check it on Windows 7 x86 version, it works fine there, without any significant problems. However, the machine was a `netbook' so it featured resolution like 1024x600, when I picked something close to this in the resolution-picking screen it filled whole screen in a way that large part of the UI was under the taskbar, on the other hand lower resolution produced too tiny image, I guess you didn't consider handling such low resolutions right now, so it's hard to call it a bug (if you are interested I can provide screenshots). I just checked if it runs and unfortunately didn't have a chance to play more than one turn, nonetheless I was quite pleasantly surprised with how many distinct moves for different monsters you managed to produce Smiley
Anyway it seems that there is some kind of problem with 64-bit systems, first thing that comes to my mind is that you might be using word-size of executing machine (64 bits in my case) while reading game data that is saved as 32-bit words (it's just a guess). I'll be glad to provide any further information or testing if you'll need it.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, and I've run it on similar systems, so I can't imagine that's the problem. I mean, Game Maker is pretty widely used and I'm not aware of any compatibilities with these systems.

In lighter news, the changes I've made to the AI are having a big impact. The AI planning time for 10 enemies is down to about 5 seconds, which I think is pretty reasonable, and it only causes some minor slowdown.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »

It's been a while since I've updated this topic, but I've still been working on Monster Commander. I wanted to post because I've got some exciting news - I've found an artist for the project!

Here's a sample of things to come:

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 08:39:20 PM »

Awesome! Glad this project didn't die.

EDIT: Paged.

It's been a while since I've updated this topic, but I've still been working on Monster Commander. I wanted to post because I've got some exciting news - I've found an artist for the project!

Here's a sample of things to come:

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

That's amazing; would you tell us who the artist is and link us to his/her site, if you're allowed to? Kinda reminds me of the artist for Frogatto, actually.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2013, 12:54:58 AM »

Liking the look of the new artists work and nice to see an update

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »

That's amazing; would you tell us who the artist is and link us to his/her site, if you're allowed to?
He doesn't have a real online presence, but he is indeed a very talented artist.

Conker534
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »

Amazing!
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 04:30:48 PM »

The graphics look great.

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2013, 07:01:30 PM »

More art!

Revamped versions of old monsters...

...and some entirely new ones!

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2013, 08:05:07 PM »

Ooh, nice! I'm glad to see this is still coming along.

Still planning to steer clear of a single player campaign mode?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »

Great to see that this is still alive and well.

Any updates on mechanics and stuff, or are the only sexy overhauls the graphics?
matriax
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2013, 07:43:13 AM »

More art!

Revamped versions of old monsters...

...and some entirely new ones!

Great animations!  Hand Clap
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »

This sounds a lot like Vantage Master, more than Pokemon, maybe play that for some ideas. Falcom made one of those games freeware years ago, though it's not 100% translated and it's an old and kind of clunky game.

https://www.falcom.co.jp/vantage/index_e.html

Hardcore Gaming 101 has a nice piece on it:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vantagemaster/vantagemaster.htm

Though the article is also old and so isn't speaking of later sequels/ports.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:05:46 PM by Alextended » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »

Still planning to steer clear of a single player campaign mode?
No, I've always wanted the single player campaign mode to be the focus. Hotseat multiplayer is just easier to get up and running at the start.  Smiley

Great to see that this is still alive and well.

Any updates on mechanics and stuff, or are the only sexy overhauls the graphics?
There's nothing quite as sexy on the mechanical side, I'm afraid. The old engine had some problems - it couldn't handle the AI calls without some major performance slips. So I'm building a new engine, which should handle things much better. I'm still redoing what I had created before, so there's nothing too exciting to show yet.

This sounds a lot like Vantage Master, more than Pokemon, maybe play that for some ideas.
Interesting, I never heard of that series before. Monster collection is a huge part of the experience, but otherwise Monster Commander doesn't have too much in common with Pokemon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:48:20 AM by Soulliard » Logged

Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »

What? This game is still being worked on? It's true!

Sorry I've been so quiet for the past two years. After hitting some snags in Pygame, I rebooted the project with an entirely new engine, Monogame. In the process, I added a number of new features - most notably, an AI opponent.

I'm so pleased with how it's turning out, that I decided to release a demo. I hope the mechanics aren't too confusing without a proper tutorial. Everything is controlled with the mouse. The objective is to kill your opponent's Overseer before they kill yours. Each monster can move and attack each turn. If a monster ends its turn on a Soul Well, you'll take control of it, which will allow your Overseer to cast spells.

Feedback is appreciated, of course. Enjoy!

Download
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:12:18 PM by Soulliard » Logged

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2015, 01:03:15 AM »

Nice!

Which platforms? Running Linux here
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2015, 03:56:54 AM »

Monogame supports Windows and Mac, at the very least, but other platforms are possible. The demo is only for Windows, though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic