Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:02:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)XRhodes thread [v1.9.1 is released]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: XRhodes thread [v1.9.1 is released]  (Read 27180 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2008, 04:49:52 AM »

Welcome everyone!

XRhodes is a game dev library I have been working on for donkeys' years. It started off as a learning project, and in about three major iterations it has reached a ...state? (or was it I that has reached it?) where the API is stable (it's modern C++), the documentation is thorough, and there are tests and examples. All in all, it can be used for what it was made for.

It is not an engine - it is more of a set of building blocks that you can build your game (engine) with it, some of it is insanely specific, but all of it is, or at least aims to be, generic.

Bullet point list of features!
  • aims to reduce the amount of code you have to write to get a game working, but not the flexibility or performance you have at hand with C++.
  • is written in C++; the desktop versions use SDL2 & OpenGL
  • supports Win8+, MacOS I dunno, High Sierra+?, Linux Ubuntu 16.04+ (64 bits), and more to come
  • supports all the "primitives" you'd expect from a very generic game library (and hopefully more)
     - low level building blocks;
     - signals and generic callbacks;
     - lowish level palatable graphics library / abstraction, now multi-threadable, yeah boi;
     - SDF / bitmap fonts and UTF-8 text;
     - sprites and texture packs;
     - asset management with dependencies, offline building, async loading, options;
     - math library;
     - keyboard / mouse / gamepad support;
     - README.md! Wizard
  • It comes with examples and unit tests
  • And now we have a super easy to use template to create your own projects.

Questions. Discussion. GO!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:48:47 AM by György Straub » Logged

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:22:31 AM »

Uh... yay? I hope. Though, that post was somewhat vague to one such as myself. Guess I'll wait for the pipeline to deliver.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »

Gainsworthy: thanks for the input - the pipeline has delivered! let me know if I can make the project any less vague for you.

and in the meantime, please comment!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:37:07 PM »

COLLISION DETECTION IS FUN-TIME HAPPY

Or something. Anyway, uh, I'll probably try this out, but not right now Tongue

increpare
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »

The osx version just crashes on me Sad
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 04:20:16 PM »

So... What am I looking at here really?

I mean, there's nearly no content here that I can comment on. It's just these balloon thingies rotating and moving around with the touch of some keys.

Is that all there is to it, or am I just missing something?
cmspice
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 09:36:21 PM »

So... What am I looking at here really?

I mean, there's nearly no content here that I can comment on. It's just these balloon thingies rotating and moving around with the touch of some keys.

Is that all there is to it, or am I just missing something?

uh, I believe it's a game framework that you can put your own content in. So... Instead of rotating balloons you could put... other things in their place.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 11:07:49 PM »

Thanks guys, now I see what Gainsworthy meant by the first post being "vague". I guess I'm just too excited about the stuff and I forgot to to step out of my head for a minute. Okay now!

XRhodes is a game framework. It aids game development in C++, by building on the basic features of the language, and also the SDL and OpenGL library. Now, as I thought about it, I should have pointed out that what I'm aiming at is something like a "Game Maker" for those who speak C++, but don't want to start game/multimedia development from scratch.

No. I know. The functionality and ease of use of Game Maker and MMF is unparalleled. Back when I was having a shot at them I felt that at some point they aren't very flexible, have bugs, doesn't support multiplatform development. I've heard how much they have evolved in the recent years, and that even some limited multiplatformability is at hand. That's very neat.

XRhodes is NOT a content creator. It is a high-level C++/SDL/OpenGL library. The main thing about it is how it deals away with lengthy and tedious tasks which are generic to game/multimedia development. Handling of subsystems initialization, memory management,  fonts, animation, stuff I've listed up there.

Instead of
Code:
uint		flags(SDL_OPENGL | SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER | SDL_HARDWARE);
if(isFullScreen) {
flags |= SDL_FULLSCREEN;
}

uchar bppGiven(::SDL_VideoModeOK(width, height, bpp,flags));
SDL_Surface *pScreen = ::SDL_SetVideoMode(width, height, bppGiven, flags);

if(pScreen == NULL) {
std::ostringstream buf;
buf << "SDL_SetVideoMode failed: " << ::SDL_GetError();
throw Exception(buf.str());
}

// set clear values
::glClearColor(.0f, .0f, .0f, 1.0f); // clear color is black
::glClearDepth(1.0f);

// set viewport
::glViewport(0, 0, width, height);

// enable texturing
::glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

// enable blending
::glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA);
::glEnable(GL_BLEND);

// enable scissor test
::glEnable(GL_SCISSOR_TEST);

// disable lighting
::glDisable(GL_LIGHTING);

// setup projection matrix
::glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
::glLoadIdentity();
::glOrtho(.0, width, height, .0, .0, -width * 4.0f);

// setup modelview matrix
::glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

// setup modelview matrix
::glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

if(::glGetError() != GL_NO_ERROR) {
std::ostringstream buf;
buf << "OpenGL initialization failed: " << ::glGetError();
throw Exception(buf.str());
}

you write
Code:
XR::GFX::Init(width, height, isFullscreen, bpp);

The downloadable application isn't XRhodes, it was written with XRhodes (see readme.txt, no, seriously). I'll include client code to demonstrate how little code was used to achive the functionality you see in the demo.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:52:21 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 04:10:47 AM »

I get what it is, I'm so proud of myself!

I still like to do all the tedious things myself, as I'm still in a learning process and would risk loosing out on some necessary basic understanding of things if I were to take shortcuts.

Though I must say that some of your shortcuts seem very attractive indeed! If you get some networking in there as well (though it might be very hard to do in a nice general-solution way?) it would almost be impossible to resist making small quick games with this.

Game maker is horrible, inflexible and hard to learn. This seems much more in my taste! Very nice initiative!  Gentleman

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 12:59:09 PM »

Dacke=) thanks for the comment. I absolutely understand how you don't want to lose out on the learning process. As it happens, writing XRhodes is the learning process itself for me (well, mostly).=) I'm hoping to combine convenient with economic.Wink

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 01:13:00 PM »

this sounds really awesome! but it doesnt seem to work at all on my mac. im running 10.5.4

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »

Increpare (sorry for the delay in getting back to you) and Michael: strange. the program sends some error messages to stderr. they are for probably the only situations when this application has crashed on me, so I haven't got much clue. how did it crash for you?

as you don't run the game from the compiler I'm not sure how to get out a console window (system.log maybe?), or where do messages from stderr get dumped (and exit codes from main)... anybody?

EDIT: ah, got it! the console is Applications/Utilities/Console.app, and the messages should be at the bottom, after a sea of error messages referring to _NSAutoreleasePool() which I don't know about. they start with "ERROR:".

Michael, thanks for the encouragement.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:48:26 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

increpare
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:27:41 PM »

I can't paste in the bloody console output because of the spam-filters  Angry Angry Angry Angry

It says that the SDL_image framework library wasn't loaded, because some image wasn't found... I think...I'd love to paste in the output...but this forum won't let me  Cry
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:38 PM »

I can't paste in the bloody console output because of the spam-filters  Angry Angry Angry Angry

It says that the SDL_image framework library wasn't loaded, because some image wasn't found... I think...I'd love to paste in the output...but this forum won't let me  Cry

thank you! that's mysterious, I'd rather imagine it the other way around if anything (missing SDL_image -> couldn't load images). now SDL_image is sitting amongst the project's linked frameworks, but for some reason it doesn't show in the .app. Same goes for SDL_mixer -- but SDL itself is there.

I'll investigate.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 09:30:13 AM »

problem fixed. some minimal extra functionality, corrected documentation and source included in the new downloadables. both platforms.  CoolTired

increpare
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »

There's one quite nice effect whose intentionality I'm not entirely sure of, namely the lines that appear in the images

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 09:53:53 AM »

There's one quite nice effect whose intentionality I'm not entirely sure of, namely the lines that appear in the images

not sure what you mean... Smiley

the pixelation of the sprites too close to the camera are achieved by
Code:
::glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

as opposed to
Code:
::glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);
(intentional; just a question of my taste, I thought small pixel sprites blurred don't look good. I think I'll leave an option to switch between the two (as for the framework))

the lines in the LDI logo is achieved by a set of Paint Shop Pro effects I barely remember. (intentional)

something else / irony? (unintentional)

increpare
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »

Oh wait, it was just the lens flare  :D :D :D

Also: the CPU-usage is pretty respectable.  Good stuff  Beer!
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 09:57:16 AM »

ah. yeah. :D

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:19 PM »

it's coming.