Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 12:24:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessSteam Greenlight announced
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
Print
Author Topic: Steam Greenlight announced  (Read 57937 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2012, 01:10:08 PM »

where do you see the number of votes for a game?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »

you can't. you can see 'favorites' and 'visits' but not 'votes'

even if you *put* the game there you can't see the number of votes (but you can see ratio of positive to negative votes)

poe
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »

Before today I never knew I was making minecraft. Good thing the good people of steam informed me Smiley

Among my favorite comments I've received are:

"Fuck you"

"nein"

"This is minecraft"

"Wow, didn't even bother to change the default XNA backbuffer color and icon.
Dat devotion."

"looks like a god damn Minecraft Mod
I understand its a different game but did you steal those art entities?"

"minecraft?"

and one that claimed I didn't have videos so he downvoted my game. (I did have videos Sad )

Anyways it seems great other than the few people who don't read. Also I'm making a puzzle game and getting ripped a new one for "cloning minecraft" yet a bunch of the most popular games are minecraft clones...

My positive votes are currently at 33%, guess I should be proud of that?
ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »

you are right moi, Steam delenda est...

Sooner or later, there will be a lot of crap on it.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »

Discoverability could definitely use some work, hopefully it'll be updated regularly.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2012, 01:45:42 PM »

"Wow, didn't even bother to change the default XNA backbuffer color and icon.
Dat devotion."
This is a stapple of XNA devellopment, like a private joke among devellopers, cornflower blue shuold be the default color always

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Uykered
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »

I went through about 30, but the list never ends... I think the only time I'll be returning to this is to see games that are accepted or if someone links directly to a game. There's just too many, and it's only day 1.
TheGrandHero
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »

Seems some of the games' "vote needed" percentages have actually started moving. A couple of them I've seen with 1% and at least one has 3% of the needed votes. Makes me wonder just how much they actually need to get considered, and how many games they want to allow to get that far.

Also, I hate that the list of games "reshuffles" every time you go to the next page. I'll see the same game randomly show up on multiple pages after already passing it up. -_-

Masakari
Level 0

Unknown Robot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:36 PM »

Sorting is already the real problem. What happens when they have 5000 games there?

You can put a "new" option there, but they can't put a "popular this week" option because it would creating a looping feed of votes for the games that would appear at the top.

Well, sorting and trolls / idiots. All the people posting crap or submitting games they didn't make / commercial games.

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2012, 03:28:18 PM »

Also, I hate that the list of games "reshuffles" every time you go to the next page. I'll see the same game randomly show up on multiple pages after already passing it up. -_-
Yeah, it's confusing that way. Maybe they want to pressure you to vote yes or no on everything just to get it out of the way?

I am curious if the huge difference in unique visitors between the two games I have listed is actually the result of some weird algorithm shuffling causing one to appear way more often than the other. Not entirely, I'm sure, but I don't know if there is any effect.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

I don't think the idea behind Greenlight is that people go to the page and look for games they want to vote for. The developers are supposed to market their games elsewhere and link fans to their Greenlight page.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2012, 03:59:07 PM »

Sorting is already the real problem. What happens when they have 5000 games there?

You can put a "new" option there, but they can't put a "popular this week" option because it would creating a looping feed of votes for the games that would appear at the top.

Well, sorting and trolls / idiots. All the people posting crap or submitting games they didn't make / commercial games.

It just means that your game has to be popular before you post it on greenlight.

It would be silly to post it on greenlight expecting that there is where your game will grow a following.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »

I don't think the idea behind Greenlight is that people go to the page and look for games they want to vote for. The developers are supposed to market their games elsewhere and link fans to their Greenlight page.
The Greenlight page and front page of the steam store seem to disagree with you.  Obviously developers can link fans to their Greenlight page as well, but the site explicitly encourages users to discover things through Greenlight as well.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2012, 04:25:59 PM »

My point is just that the Greenlight page isn't a marketing platform. Like what zalzane said.

Laserbrain Studios
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »

At the risk of sounding a bit of an ass, I am compiling here a list of notable games, including games by TGISource members. I'm posting this here in case you (a developer) had read this post and missed the other one for whatever reason and want a place to stand out a bit.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »

My point is just that the Greenlight page isn't a marketing platform. Like what zalzane said.

yeah, but i think that all but the top % of games will have almost all of their votes from steam users who randomly found their games vs those that direct linked to it

for instance, i linked to my game in a few places, and i'm sure a few people found it through that, but it has 2500 views. i don't think i directed 2500 people to the page; maybe a few hundred tops

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

yeah, but i think that all but the top % of games will have almost all of their votes from steam users who randomly found their games vs those that direct linked to it

for instance, i linked to my game in a few places, and i'm sure a few people found it through that, but it has 2500 views. i don't think i directed 2500 people to the page; maybe a few hundred tops

You got linked in the thread on Something Awful. They're pretty enthusiastic about ID, so I'm sure a lot of views came from that.

I don't think the top % is from Steam users that randomly found the games. If that were the case, there'd be a much more even distribution of views. Look at Project Zomboid. They've actively been building towards going on Greenlight, and when it finally opened, they've skyrocketed with views and votes.

Laserbrain Studios
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »

Today is the first day greenlight has been out, I have no doubt in my mind that it has higher traffic today than it ever will.

The only way you'll be able to ride that publicity wave is if you were to either post your game on there today, or maybe within the week before the initial hype subsides.

I would not rely on greenlight to be a reliable source to draw on for an initial playerbase in the future.
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »

Seems some of the games' "vote needed" percentages have actually started moving. A couple of them I've seen with 1% and at least one has 3% of the needed votes. Makes me wonder just how much they actually need to get considered, and how many games they want to allow to get that far.

It's very likely that valve has set the initial vote requirement very very high, maybe in the range of 100,000 since they had no idea how much traffic greenlight was going to receive (they said this themselves).
If they had set it too low initially, they may have had a lot of potentially awful games that have been "voted in", and rejecting a large percentage of the initially-voted in games would reflect badly on valve.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:20 PM »

You got linked in the thread on Something Awful. They're pretty enthusiastic about ID, so I'm sure a lot of views came from that.

I don't think the top % is from Steam users that randomly found the games. If that were the case, there'd be a much more even distribution of views. Look at Project Zomboid. They've actively been building towards going on Greenlight, and when it finally opened, they've skyrocketed with views and votes.

is there a link to that thread?

and i'm sure the top 10% or so of games have a huge number of views due to having a huge number of fans. zomboid would be among those. but even the most lowly unknown game has several thousand views. so i think most games get at least a few thousand views just due to random steam users. and for many low-profile games those few thousand make up most of their views.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic