Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:39:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTwo Brothers IS COMPLETE! available 11/11/2013
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Two Brothers IS COMPLETE! available 11/11/2013  (Read 59131 times)
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »

@oyog: We are exploring options with the text box. Conversation happens as you walk around in the game NPCs will initiate conversation with the player, but the player can still walk around and fight when this happens. We frequently have text being fed into the box as the player walks around, so it might stay up (at least for now). we have been designing areas so that the text never gets in the way.

@kamac
We are using MMF2 for the game engine.(as it started out as a way for me to relax while working on slacking on an intense animation project for my senior thesis)
We made our own quest scripting system, and its all very automatic now; we hardly ever need to do any coding or events when making levels. And any custom events that are needed are created in a Behavior, so the core code is untouched.
It's sort of hard to describe how it works. it's not to dissimilar to yours actually.

We actually started experimenting with Anaconda (http://mp2.dk/anaconda/) and it works well enough that we could port it to OSX and Linux without changing much. We also want to buy and expiriment with the XNA exporter to see this thing on the Xbox.

And as for the full color... that may or may not totally happen in the game at some point or another.  Wink

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »

Doesn't look like MMF2 at all Wink (which is obviously good)

It is coming along nicely. The art is stunning too.

Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2012, 10:23:50 AM »

Damn. The bar scene is hilarious. You really give Mother 3's Club Titiboo a run for it's money. Big Laff I'm really curious what the other options do.  

*Are all the areas in this game this interactive?
* ALSO It's nice to see an overworld in games again.
*And kudos on the music  Well, hello there! Beer! My Word!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:30:14 AM by Allansona » Logged

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
retrohelix
Level 1

Hip hop array

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »

The music in the bar reminds me of the tribal dance music in chrono trigger. Ugh the videos are better than I thought possible.

Will the text box be perpetually on later in development or is that temporary? It seems like it takes up a lot of the screen when there's no new text being displayed.

Feels like a strange thing to point out, but the text is so easy on the eyes. But I do agree with this, it would be neat if it came down when there's nothing to display.

I really hope you stick with this Smiley
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »

Looks fantastic and I love how life and death are handled.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2012, 02:29:09 PM »

Looks amazing. Keeping my eye on this.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2012, 07:01:39 AM »

Some New areas from this week:

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2012, 07:28:32 AM »

The font...

sucks

The typing sound...

sucks

The rest...

owns

Yeah.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2012, 08:47:27 AM »

If you haven't caught this already:
When roy says "Something hidden in the grass, better be careful.", 'grass' has 2 S not, 3

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2012, 10:34:51 AM »

If you haven't caught this already:
When roy says "Something hidden in the grass, better be careful.", 'grass' has 2 S not, 3
Thanks for finding that. Guess I held down the key a bit longer on one of those S's  Hand Any Key

I'm going to go over all the text later this weekend.

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »

This is pure awesomeness. Really looking forward to playing this.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »

Some beautiful ideas here.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »

I've been working on a new area check it out on youtube Smiley
(LINK:)

I've been working on some new AI as well. Not too smart, but not way too dumb either.

Allansona
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2012, 08:35:33 PM »

The new area looks great. The combat looks simple but fun. Really getting a Zelda vibe, also a bit of Earthbound from the quirky bits in the music. Three questions for you. How far long in to the game is this? and how long do you think the game will be? And is the name of the location a reference to Links Awakening?

- Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. - Johannes Brahms
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 10:36:09 PM »

"Heart of enemy make strong!"

Huh?

"The heart of the enemy makes you stronger!" might sound a little better.

golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 07:10:07 AM »

DustyDrake:The joke was it's supposed to sound barbaric. A tribe of barbarians that speak in broken English teach you how to do this. Whats more barbaric than eating a heart to gain it's strength?

Allansona: Thank you! This is about an hour and a half in to the game. We're not entirely making the game in order, we're tackling the more difficult sections first. However, at the moment the game is two hours of linked content that is complete, and another two hours of content that needs that will be linked this week. And that's about 60% of the game once that's done, so maybe double that length? We're going to end it when it feels done. We don't want to set a limit of how long the game will be... it just needs to feel satisfying.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 07:28:24 AM by golemshaper » Logged

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 07:19:22 AM »

I absolutely love the way this looks and sounds, except the font seems completely out-of-place. On GB and GBC hardware, it was essentially impossible to have a font that wasn't both monospace and with a width as an exponent of two, and thinner than 8 pixels was a real feat. (And so I feel like the text sharply contrasts the visual style of the games you're attempting to echo.) I think that it could look much better overall if you were to stick with the standard 8x8 characters.  Smiley
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »

Should the character jump in this point?

Justify yourself.

Yeah.
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 09:02:02 AM »

You can't climb down that wall until you break away the rock from below. Breaking the wall away makes a short cut for when you have to go back to the top. You don't have to go back up at this point. Is what you meant?   Who, Me?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

You can't climb down that wall until you break away the rock from below. Breaking the wall away makes a short cut for when you have to go back to the top. You don't have to go back up at this point. Is what you meant?   Who, Me?
Don't think so.
He's refering to the point where you walk off the back side of a cliff and end up walking UNDER the little bit of cliff wall.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic