Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 02:06:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBanshee Engine : For all your ANSI needs!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Banshee Engine : For all your ANSI needs!  (Read 34718 times)
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51:57 PM »

Okay. Also a few questions about the image functions:

EDIT: Nevermind. I realized shortly after posting this that under "featuretests", there was a project that answered both of those questions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:59:38 PM by johnki » Logged

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:25 PM »

Okay. Also a few questions about the image functions:

1. Does drawing an image work like drawing a tile, in that you have to use drawclear() or it doesn't clear the previous location of the drawn image?

2. Is there any transparency so that non-rectangular objects don't have clearly-defined boxes around them? I noticed the note about transparency at the top of the documentation but didn't know if it applied to images.

1. Yes. Also, drawing (255,255,255) onto an isolated portion of the screen would do the exact same thing as clearing it, except only in that part.

2. Yepyep. Index 255 is always transparent. Related: -1 is a different transparency. Where 255 isn't drawn when drawing stuff, -1 isn't drawn when drawing onto stuff. The distinction is weird to articulate, but very important.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »

New version is up! Just like before, Banshee is in closed alpha while the final touches are put on it. If you'd like to get your hands on it, just shoot me a PM.

1.0.5a
Added "filewriteint", "filereadint": functions exactly the same as "filewritepointer" and "filereadpointer", only meant to prevent things from getting too confusing.
Added "imageptr" and "imageexists".
Fixed "drawstring" being buggy when fed negative coordinates.
Fixed "timerdestroy" and "gettimerlength" not doing what they say on the tin.
Fixed Lua VM not making the string library available.
Fixed image objects not saving and loading as they should.
Finished ANSI Blocks demo.
Renamed "initializesound" to "initsound" and "deinitializesound" to "freesound".
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 08, 2013, 04:03:40 AM »

aw, i don't want to see tetris. do ANSI starcraft instead!
I got a starfox ANSI game, is that close enough?
Do a barrel rol gif!
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 08, 2013, 05:46:48 AM »

I am curious! Do you have the runtime working on other platforms, or is it just windows for now? I don't know when I could get to it, but I would like to try it at some point.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: February 08, 2013, 05:49:33 AM »

I am curious! Do you have the runtime working on other platforms, or is it just windows for now? I don't know when I could get to it, but I would like to try it at some point.

It's written in a language that can compile to Mac OS and Linux as well as Windows, though whether the libraries I'm using would play nicely with them is yet to be seen.
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 08, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »

cool! I would be happy to look at it... I have a c++ / opengl / lua thing that I use on osx and iphone, I might be able to take a guess about this.

also, for self referential tables I think this handles it: http://lua-users.org/wiki/TablePersistence (see the multiref thing). It also handles some functions, but not all of them.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 08, 2013, 06:14:42 AM »

Unfortunately, that's for writing things from inside Lua and doesn't seem to say anything about using the API to do it.  Concerned
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »

Who will mak gam in Banshee Engine that is similar to Oregon Trail with randomized events.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

edit:

Who will mak gam in Banshee Engine that is similar to Oregon Trail with randomized events.

You could, if you wanted!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:11:13 AM by _Madk » Logged
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »

Ugh, again.
I've tried everything I can think of, and double checked my work so I feel this is a problem on your end, not mine.

Code:
for i=0,14 do
if(math.mod(i,4) == 0)then
--whatever
end
end
(math.mod(i,4) == 0) will always return true, which is quite annoying. And all fractions seem to get rounded off no matter what I do, which, while I can understand that you don't want characters getting drawn over half a tile, is also quite frustrating.

Nevermind, I think the problem exists between my keyboard and my chair.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 02:31:43 PM by DustyDrake » Logged

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »

Try using "%" instead of "math.mod" if you're still having any issues with it. Also, the tetris example uses modulo in a few places, you could look off of that. As for fractions, most things do take ints as arguments, but the VM absolutely supports floating point values.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:24:25 PM by _Madk » Logged
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: February 08, 2013, 06:38:23 PM »

It's written in a language that can compile to Mac OS and Linux as well as Windows, though whether the libraries I'm using would play nicely with them is yet to be seen.
Well, I have a Mac if you end up wanting to test it.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 08, 2013, 07:25:13 PM »

Hooray, more frustrations because I don't really know how lua works!
The Player has "pos" saved as a variable. (Saved by "pos = 0")
An enemy needs to know how far away the player is and needs to access the player's "pos" variable.

Attempting to access pos via "player.pos" returns "attempt to index global 'player' (a number value)"
Attempting to access pos via "entitydataread(player,"pos")" returns "attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value"

I really would rather not use entitydatasave() for every single variable, so is there something I'm missing or is that the only way to do it?

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: February 08, 2013, 07:28:48 PM »

It is - for 1.0.5a. I'm putting the final touches on 1.0.6a at the moment and it adds some really useful functionality for inter-entity stuff like that.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: February 08, 2013, 07:33:22 PM »

1.0.6a
Added "getentityglobal", and made it so that "setentityglobal" will now work even if the entity's script is currently initialized. NOTE: "setentityglobal" is pretty much untested for sake of getting the thing out, so if it doesn't work don't hurt me.
Added "getmapname" and "getmapsize".
Added support for multi-frame entity images and associated commands: "setentityimageframesize", "setentityimageframewidth", "setentityimageframeheight", "getentityimageframesize", "getentityimageframewidth", "getentityimageframeheight", "getentityimageframecount", "getentityimageframe", "setentityimageframe". Frame width and height can now be set in *.bad files inside the image node using "framewidth:" and "frameheight:", and initial frame with "frame:".
Fixed engine crashing when using "getmapwidth" or "getmapheight" on a map without an initialized mask.
Fixed engine crashing when the camera was put on a map that lacked an initialized mask. (It still terminates, but at least it tells you what's wrong.)
Fixed "setentityimage" not working with prefixes like "root:".
Fixed entity images not being defineable inside of *.bad files.
Fixed entity images not supporting transparency.
Fixed entity images not drawing if the entity did not also have a tile appearance defined.
Fixed recording saving behavior, now instead of crashing when encountering an invalid file path the engine attempts to save it elsewhere instead.
Fixed several entity movement commands returning ints instead of booleans.
Fixed the ansividplayer tool getting being stupid about video files that have a small width or height.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 08, 2013, 07:49:29 PM »

You could, if you wanted!

:D I would like to.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: February 08, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »

The policy is this: shoot me a PM and you can be let in on the closed alpha. Smiley
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2013, 07:59:09 PM »

Oookay so I don't see anything in the change log that mentions what changed for that inter-entity interaction stuff

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »

getentityglobal( entity_reference, global_name )
setentityglobal( entity_reference, global_name, value )

These access the global variables in the entity's Lua state. (Or the saved values if the entity's script has been deinitialized.)

additionally:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic