Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:33:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37
Print
Author Topic: DwarfCorp: Ruthless Capitalism RTS in a Fantasy World  (Read 100366 times)
Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:23 AM »

In my case, dwarves were just picking up crap randomly and putting it back down for no reason, or (most of the time) just stopping in place as a "find whatever" or "path to whatever" failed over and over.

As for Adult Swim, I haven't talked to them. They've been snapping up indies lately (Paranautical Activity, Volgarr the Viking, etc.) and I think they wanted us on that list.

Huh, funny you say that. That's exactly the issue I have at the moment too. If the type of item they are searching for doesn't exist, they just spam "find me the item" every update and get no where. Same with pathing, if they have a set destination but it's inaccessible, they just attempt to path every update but get no path (unitl the path is available - which may be never).

I got around it rather awkwardly by creating a Job object that has the list of tasks inside it, rather than the agent holding it. These jobs can be assigned to anyone to carry out and they'll try to comply. Should at any point the job fail (no available resources, no path) the job gets masked as Blocked and put back in the master job list, this frees up the agent and stops the job being reassigned.

I haven't worked out what to do with the blocked jobs yet. Currently I just put them on a back off timer and reassign it to someone at a later date, in hopes it is now completable. Jobs are given a priority and timed how long they've been waiting, so older jobs get priority.

As for Adult Swim, from quick Googling/reading, it doesn't sound like a good offer... Looks like they promised publishing past Greenlight (even though they couldn't) for a cut of the money. Which is kind of redundant now! Congratulations on getting Greenlit Smiley

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #701 on: September 19, 2013, 03:09:36 AM »

Congratulations on Greenlight!  Gentleman

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #702 on: September 19, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »

Check out these sweet new icons!

Also, as for the GOAPing, I think the key is the idea of error recovery. Some new symbol like "PlanTo(objectID) = FAILED" needs to be set. Then the planner will assign a much higher cost to planning to that object again. At this point I don't think its worth it, as I'm doing just fine with behavior trees now anyway.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 19, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »

Oh man, those are seriously nice. Settlers I feel.
!Kent2D
Level 0

Bring a torch!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #704 on: September 19, 2013, 12:09:29 PM »

The Icons look seriously amazing! :O

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #705 on: September 19, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »

Lovely!

I'd be interested in hearing about your approaches to tackling the AI systems. Maybe a post-mortem write up?

DantronLesotho
Level 2

Video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #706 on: September 19, 2013, 12:17:49 PM »

The post-mortem of their kickstarter campaign was great; I'm sure they'll do one of the whole game (hope!)
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #707 on: September 19, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »

Hope I didn't miss the party. Congrats!
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:13 AM »

Agreed - them icons look amazing.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: September 29, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »

I'm currently re-factoring the way zones/rooms stockpiles and containers worked. Before, things were like this:

Code:
Item - Something that can be picked up
Zone - A collection of one or more items
    Stockpile - A zone attached to a set of voxels
    Room - A zone attached to a set of voxels, with additional "decorative" items added automatically
    Container - A zone which is itself another item

Now its like this:

Code:
Item - Something that can be picked up
Container - A collection of items attached to another item.
    Pile - A container which disappears when it has no items.
Zone - A collection of voxel/item pairs.
     Stockpile - A zone which is free to build, and whose contents are available to all dwarves.
     Room - A zone which requires resources to build, and has decorative items. Dwarves may only use it in special circumstances.

Doing this was really awful, but now the code is cleaner. No repeated code for stockpiles and rooms.

We've also been looking locally for development help, but it's not looking good. We may need to reach out to the internet.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #710 on: September 29, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »

We've also been looking locally for development help, but it's not looking good. We may need to reach out to the internet.

Baby you know all you have to do is ask  Well, hello there!
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #711 on: September 29, 2013, 01:09:44 PM »

Also, I figured out how to use aniostropic filtering for the min filter with point filtering on the mag filter, so things which are closer now have nice pixelated interpolation, but things which are far away aren't destroyed by noise artifacts:

A small change which I think improved the apperance

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: October 05, 2013, 12:58:56 PM »

Hehehe:

Also:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: October 05, 2013, 01:38:37 PM »

Haha
!
; }

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: October 05, 2013, 04:20:01 PM »

Hehehe:

Also:

DWARFCORP ON STEAM

NO MORE PUNCHING TREES , ASK YOUR DWARF SLAVES TO DO IT FOR YOU  WTF
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: October 05, 2013, 07:28:52 PM »

DORFVENTORY IS BEARD
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: October 06, 2013, 09:27:43 AM »

DORFVENTORY IS BEARD

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: October 20, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »

Things that are happening:

1. I have completed a database of all my backers on paypal and what/when they will receive once the closed test starts (on October 31st).

2. I have 2,500 Steam keys from valve, 2,200 of which are being used by the backers.

3. I have a booth at the Pittsburgh IGDA studio crawl on October 25th to recruit new people and hand out free stuff.

4. Shipped a large number of posters and postcards.

5. I am currently working on saving/loading game state. My current approach is to create a set of "minimal" data-holding classes that are saved to JSON and then zipped up. I first started saving chunks, and they're around 4kb. My first attempt saving the full game state resulted in a 113 MB file, so I need to do some work to compress the data in a more clever way.

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #718 on: November 21, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »

Hiring stuff:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37253.0

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: December 07, 2013, 12:38:33 PM »

Saving/Loading is now possible:

It was a huge pain to implement. I started with some conceptual difficulties on how best to save/load data. My thought was that I would go about creating a bunch of "helper structs" with relevant data for each kind of game state I would need to store, and conversion functions to go from serialized data to game state. This didn't work well, and was not sustainable.

So I just took the leap and serialize the entirety of the running game state to and from JSON. This required a bunch of refactoring, but works much better than I had anticipated.

We also are about to hire our first guy, a programmer. We also have a nicer logo in the works.

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic