Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:39:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XII - Wasteland (GRYPHONSNYDER WINS!)  (Read 12901 times)
medieval
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2012, 07:54:38 AM »

Holy shit. I'm in Amsterdam for a week and there's SO MANY ENTRIES (and a slight dose of drama). Thanks for participating, everyone! I'll get to listening and critiquing all of the songs (that I haven't commented on yet) once I have the time, what I've heard so far sounds great!

REMEMBER: You have FIVE (5) days left to submit an entry to this challenge! Submissions close September 6th Midnight EST
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »

(Anyone remember the discussion about creativity?)

haha! i remember it far too well...

Bring on more music! I'm so glad I could get back into entering these competitions.

and lamontx.... please... your "real soundcloud"Huh? this reminds me of online gamers talking about how their other character has so much of x and y and this is a fake or test character... OK must resist...

lamontx
Level 0

I don't even know who Kuppo is. Kupo.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »

Oh Calum you... Making me do these things. Well here ya go then, I removed 5ish stuff that were "beta" versions of their original. The reason why I linked it straight to page two is because page one was done on my iPad and I have to wait to get on my PC to put it all on better sounding VSTs.  Smiley

But you can listen anyways. Solaria's music (as of right now) were all created starting around 27 days ago, so stuff prior to that were just for fun.  Smiley
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2012, 11:35:43 AM »

strawburry

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2012, 12:04:05 PM »

I love how you manage to build up the atmosphere by only using diverse wind noises and those warm organ sounds. Especially when the organs lfo gets more intense after those carving winds at about 1:10 and it feels like the burning heat made the air flicker. The vocals coming from the background are a nice contrast to the stitching heat. What vsti did you use for that?
Anyway, your track fits the given theme just perfectly. Very simplistic yet really detailed.
Soundhound
Level 0

Music is my religion.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2012, 12:06:33 PM »

@tipp An interesting approach to the theme tipp! That singing in the background that starts around 1:35 has haunting but soothing quality to it , who is it? I can imagine this kind of track working on a narration-less game like Journey. My only criticism would be there's very little going on in the mid-high to high frequencies (instrument wise), could have had something 'sitting' on top of it in occasion if you now what I mean? Your EP looks cool btw, I've been listening to it and what I've heard so far I like. Smiley
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »

heyy ty guys i'm glad u like the music moo moo moo moo

for the vocals i took them from some old song i scrapped and just toned them down to make em' more ghostly, and for the wind i used a wind sample and chopped it up and added crusher effects.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2012, 03:57:19 AM »

Oh  Sad  I was afraid it might be a sample but I really hoped there was a vsti capable of such a sound. Anyway, sounds great.
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »

Hey guys!  Cool songs!  I will post thoughts when i get a better chance to listen.  But first I gotta finish mine.  Maybe have it by the end of the day.

Until Then...
showmeyourskeleton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:07 PM »

technically i didn't compose this for the challenge, but i think it fits the theme well:

crap! just reread the topic. bleh! ah well, good luck to everyone who's participated & i look forward to entering the next one.
gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51:12 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/gryphsongs/sandbox

Goodnight...
showmeyourskeleton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:10 AM »

this is incredible. love it. i asked on soundcloud but i'll repeat myself here, what did you use for the piano, was it live or a vst? it sounds gorgeous.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »

^ Seconded!
This is my favorite so far.

Your choice of timbres is astonishing. Lots of little details in there that create a very curious atmosphere - and in spite of the dense pads, the mix still works. Great work!

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
JudahRoydes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2012, 05:10:11 AM »

^
Thirded lol

That was BEAUTIFUL!!

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »

^
yeah, definitely quartered - those pads along with the piano are amazing
dlt.fm
Level 0

I make atmospheric music.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »

Got to agree -- super nice timbres, very true to the genre.  And I'm a sucker for pitch envelopes.

That could have been a track off of My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, if those were guitars instead of synths...

David Lopez Tichy - dlt.fm
Composer for film & interactive

soundcloud: davidlopeztichy
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2012, 07:50:16 AM »

gonna have to quint... this ^^^

Texturally so beautiful. Great mix. It's really quite overwhelming in the second half - definitely love the pitch enveloping as well - so much sighing.

THIS IS WHY THIS CHALLENGE IS SO GOOD - i really love this track so much. So glad you entered!

EveEllis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2012, 08:24:14 AM »

Real nice!
As everyone has already stated, very textural, ethereal.. Well done!

gryphonsnyder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »

Wow!  Thanks so much for comments everyone! 

@showmeyourskeleton, The piano sound was from my Nord Electro, it is the stock electric piano sound.  I also layered it with another keyboard sound that I ran heavily through a big muff pedal with the tone all the way down so that it sounds kind of cold and dreamy.  Both I ran through the "singing can" reverb in abelton.

I really love the pitch envelope with the saw wave (i think that's what it is).  I am pretty new to synths but my friend and i developed that particular patch a few months ago and it is hard for me not to use it in all my songs.  Its just kind of grinding in a very satisfying way. 

My inspiration for the song came from this artist named Oneohetrix Point Never.  I find his work very inspiring, and quite apocalyptic, but in a very refreshing way (never thought that possible Smiley  You guys should definitely check it out:
http://soundcloud.com/mexicansummer/sets/oneohtrix-point-never-replica

I even used his skeleton aesthetic for my artwork to make it really obvious that i freaking love his music.

Right on.  Thanks so much for the support.  I am happy I found this forum and get to meet other aspiring video game composers!

On another note,  is chrono trigger the reason why we are all here, or am i projecting?
 Beer! cheers!
showmeyourskeleton
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »

@showmeyourskeleton, The piano sound was from my Nord Electro, it is the stock electric piano sound.  I also layered it with another keyboard sound that I ran heavily through a big muff pedal with the tone all the way down so that it sounds kind of cold and dreamy.  Both I ran through the "singing can" reverb in abelton.

ah awesome stuff. the piano sound is really incredible, i was expecting a run down of your elaborate micing technique!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic