Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 01:34:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Work2D Character Pixel Artist Needed (Double Dragon/Final Fight style game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D Character Pixel Artist Needed (Double Dragon/Final Fight style game)  (Read 1715 times)
APStephens
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »

Company Name: Creative Bowl Studios
Project Name: Calamity Clash (a 2D beat em up ala Double Dragon/Final Fight)
Position Needed: 2D Character Pixel Artist
Paid: Position will be paid (see info below)
Project Intentions: OUYA and Steam, with possible other releases in the future

About the Position:

We are in need of a 2D Character Pixel Artist who can produce high res images, be able to animate them without problem (fighting moves, walking, blocking, falling, etc). The style of anatomy, coloring, shadowing, etc we are looking for is a King of Fighters/Other SNK fighting games with how their characters are done, but with our own original artwork and characters.

NOTE: As of now, we need 6 characters made just in one fighting pose to create some mock-up screenshots to display for our investors and also on our Kickstarter video to raise the funds to complete the project. The 6 posed characters will not be paid up front, but once we have received our Kickstarter funds and also outside investments, we will go forth with creating each character and all attributes needed to make them work in-game. Quotes for the bulk work will be discussed with you if we are interested in your skills and experience.

The 2D Character Artist will only need to make the 6 characters in one pose, high res and ready to use in-game, and that will be all until funding is completed. We are looking to launch the Kickstarter the first week of November, so all pieces will need to be turned in by mid-October. Need to get this started ASAP.

About the Game:
--2D Beat-em-up in the style of Double Dragon/Final Fight
--4 playable characters (with the possibility of hidden characters)
--online co-op
--Over 30 action packed levels planned
--Battle Arenas
--Unlockable items
--and other features that are top secret

If you are interested please email me at: contact [at] apstephens [dot] com and please include some links or attachments with your pixel work. If you have art that resembles what we are looking for, the better it is for you. Smiley

We plan to make a decision within the next week or two, so please submit ASAP. Thank you.

Examples of what style we are aiming for:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/technocrat9000/Image4.png

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/attachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D62627%26stc%3D1%26d%3D1312829852
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 03:35:49 AM »

Just some polite food for thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Fighters_XII

Kukino adds that each character took between sixteen and seventeen months to be done by 10 designers together along with Nona who revised them. However, due to the difficulties that it took to make this new designs, there were only 20 playable characters for the arcade version, the lowest number ever in a game from the series.

http://kofaniv.snkplaymore.co.jp/english/info/15th_anniv/2d_dot/art/index.php

It was a massive amount of work for the development staff to deal with, making it one of the toughest projects any of them have worked on. Even some within the company questioned whether going to such extremes was worth the effort.

These were experienced, professional developers on a salary.

(← new art twitter)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:09:14 AM »

Yeah, Miguelito is right, althought that sprites were made using 3d models. If you aim for earlier Kof game sprites level, it would more easier and realistic.
Also
As of now, we need 6 characters made just in one fighting pose to create some mock-up screenshots to display for our investors and also on our Kickstarter video to raise the funds to complete the project.
Thats pretty foul tactics. You should make working engine and several working characters, because several pictures can attract people in first ten days, but then you going to fail with like 1000$. Also, putting game in development on kickstarter means that you got yourselves into very tight scelude with need for more updates and coder work.
People dont like coder work, they like moving pictures, so get out, finish engine with placeholder art and then ask for help, since now it look like you just want to get some pictures for free and then use naive people of Kickstarter for fast money.
Eponasoft
Level 0

PC Engine Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »

Comparing the actual games isn't really relevant... the art style may be the same, but a scrolling brawler like Final Fight uses far fewer sprites than a one-on-one fighting game like KOF so there's a lot less work involved. Fighting games along the lines of KOF are massive productions... you can get away with less than 25% of the artwork for a brawler and it will still have the potential to be amazing. In a 1-on-1 fighter, every character will require a massive amount of frames, but for a brawler, generally only the playable characters get a lot of frames... the disposable enemies usually have far fewer frames... even most bosses.

That being said, you may be going about this the wrong way. You're basically asking someone to prototype a bunch of characters for no pay... you'd be much better off asking for one prototype and going from there.

Eponasoft develops commercial PC Engine games.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »

Company Name: Creative Bowl Studios
Project Name: Calamity Clash (a 2D beat em up ala Double Dragon/Final Fight)
Position Needed: 2D Character Pixel Artist
Paid: Position will be paid (see info below)
Project Intentions: OUYA and Steam, with possible other releases in the future

About the Position:

We are in need of a 2D Character Pixel Artist who can produce high res images, be able to animate them without problem (fighting moves, walking, blocking, falling, etc). The style of anatomy, coloring, shadowing, etc we are looking for is a King of Fighters/Other SNK fighting games with how their characters are done, but with our own original artwork and characters.

NOTE: As of now, we need 6 characters made just in one fighting pose to create some mock-up screenshots to display for our investors and also on our Kickstarter video to raise the funds to complete the project. The 6 posed characters will not be paid up front, but once we have received our Kickstarter funds and also outside investments, we will go forth with creating each character and all attributes needed to make them work in-game. Quotes for the bulk work will be discussed with you if we are interested in your skills and experience.

The 2D Character Artist will only need to make the 6 characters in one pose, high res and ready to use in-game, and that will be all until funding is completed. We are looking to launch the Kickstarter the first week of November, so all pieces will need to be turned in by mid-October. Need to get this started ASAP.

About the Game:
--2D Beat-em-up in the style of Double Dragon/Final Fight
--4 playable characters (with the possibility of hidden characters)
--online co-op
--Over 30 action packed levels planned
--Battle Arenas
--Unlockable items
--and other features that are top secret

If you are interested please email me at: contact [at] apstephens [dot] com and please include some links or attachments with your pixel work. If you have art that resembles what we are looking for, the better it is for you. Smiley

We plan to make a decision within the next week or two, so please submit ASAP. Thank you.

Examples of what style we are aiming for:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/technocrat9000/Image4.png

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/attachment.php%3Fattachmentid%3D62627%26stc%3D1%26d%3D1312829852

I'm probably one of the fastest hi-res pixel artists in my city (Local Game Jams prove that) and even I can say that this is a lot to ask for

it's almost too much really for unpaid

try to get more and more artists working on this, the more the better. a team of artists is much more efficient than one drained artist that looses steam and just starts to either give up or build new animations off of existing ones...

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic