Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411509 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:35:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsSportsPost-Apocalyptic Unicorn Marathon [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Post-Apocalyptic Unicorn Marathon [FINISHED]  (Read 10940 times)
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »

Short version: unicorns race through a radioactive wasteland.

Download: zip file for Windows Version

Video:

Long version: I've always wanted to make a game in a setting similar to that of Montoli's Post-Apocalyptic Unicorn Uprising but never had the chance. The appearance of this TIG compo seems like a good time to satisfy that urge!

The gameplay will probably look a lot like Mystic Marathon, which is a game I played a lot as a kid. Unicorns (or unicorn singular, don't know if I can get AI unicorns put in in time) race left-to-right across a scrolling blasted wasteland, avoiding obstacles and using rainbow power to jump over or blast through obstacles to get to the final goal. The goal will be the Unicorn Princess Stronghold or something equally in-congruent with the rest of the game.

Obstacles include:
-radioactive craters (jump over)
-cranky robots (avoid or smash through)
-cranky mutant plants (avoid or smash)
-rainbow portals that grant a temporary boost
-cats

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:05:22 AM by Izzimach » Logged

Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »

After some fiddling I managed to get a simple unicorn gallop cycle and the basic foreground/background parallax scrolling working.

I also spent a bit of time trying to compile and deploy Moai on both the PC and Android platforms, based off of the tutorials in this other thread. That took a lot longer than I thought it would  Concerned So I didn't have much time today to add much else except a jumping animation. Also, the unicorn gallop is pretty awful at the moment but I can always go back later once I know WTF I'm doing. it should work for now.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »

I PREFER FULTTERSHIES.

Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »

After some fiddling, got sound and basic collisions working. And sparkly particles! Also, I added a computer-controlled unicorn since it's supposed to be a race. I need to make several unicorn sprites now so there isn't any confusion.

I originally wanted to add jumping to jump over obstacles, but I think I will probably go with a "rainbow dash" (obviously I need a different name!) which lets you dash over holes and smash through obstacles. Smashing obstacles also allows me to add some screen shake, which is a vital addition to any game.

Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »

Basics are almost done. I hope I can finish this on time  Crazy

The dash "attack" works after some fiddling. Since unicorns are invincible and travel faster while dashing, I had to add in something so that you couldn't just spam dash to win the race. So there is a short recover phase after each dash. I needed to add some "juice" to the dash so I added a bit of wobble in the shockwave, some screen shake, and slowed the camera so that it had to catch up to the unicorn after the dash. All this made the dash feel a lot cooler than it actually is.

Finally, I added more computer-controlled unicorns.

Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »

Finally got the "race complete" screen done and added angry robots. Unicorns given different colors so you can tell the difference (sorta). I'm considering making a second unicorn sprite (Ki-Rin maybe?) so that you can better distinguish the racers.

The ground robot has wheels and a big smashy hammer. I originally made the robot a dull grey color, but everything else is already so dark it was hard to see the robots very well, especially since they're moving. So glowing red it is!

I only have time for one more obstacle, which will hopefully be a flying robot that drops bombs or something.

Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »

I see 6 unicorns on the first screen, how many players will you support in total?

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

Players?  Shocked
There is only one player, the rest are AI unicorns. I could maybe add some controls for a 2nd or 3rd unicorn, but dunno if I time to do that before the end of the month.

Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 01:25:33 PM »

Everything is in there, I'm just trying to clean everything up for submission.

You can select your unicorn color, there is some more variety in terrain, and there is some help text. Meteor collision is a little wonky. I might try to fix that tonight... or not  Tongue

Nathan Cash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 10:20:21 AM »

Looks fun. A bit like robot unicorn attack Smiley. What engine/framework was this made in?
Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »

I purposely tried to avoid making it too much like Robot Unicorn Attack, but some overlap was inevitable, of course Wink

The framework used was the Moai framework (getmoai.com) designed more for quick distribution to mobile platforms similar to the Corona and Gideros SDK's. There is a tutorial series in the tutorial section by Serapth

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 08:10:02 AM »

Fun game. It does everything it sets out to. I would have liked a little variety between the unicorns, maybe different 'attacks' for each unicorn, but that's just a minor thing. Good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic