Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411958 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58478 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 04:26:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBooks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Books  (Read 10929 times)
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 12:19:27 AM »

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. 'Nuff said.
This.

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 02:46:10 AM »

I don't see the need for another thread, but anyway - I'm reading Slaughterhouse-Five and enjoying it very much. I've also bought The Selfish Gene, but I don't think I'll have time to read it until next year.
Cagey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. 'Nuff said.
This.

I recently finished reading the series on my iPhone. I used to never read, but having the books on my phone in an easily readable format means its so convinient, i read every spare minute i have. The books themselves are hilariously good. I was so incredibly disappointed that i reached the end of them Tongue

Started reading the discworld novels and I'm loving them so far. Really similar style of humor to hitchhiker's guide, just set in a fantasy universe.

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 06:40:49 AM »

I would suggest that anyone who likes Discworld or Hitchhiker's Guide try out Good Omens. It's a sweet collaborative effort by- wait for it- Neil Gaimen and Terry Pratchett, written in the 90's before either one was famous. It's a really nice read, and you can see the Pratchett and Gaimen clearly in it. It's pretty much the ultimate Cult Classic.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 06:44:00 AM »

Good Omens is great yeah.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 06:46:39 AM »

I heard about it, haven't read it yet. Have to look into it.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2008, 06:56:23 AM »

I third Good Omens.
Corpus
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »

Why is there a new thread for this? Use the old thread.

But yeah, Kao, Slaughterhouse 5 is pretty mint.

I'm reading Jane Eyre at the minute. Next, I'm reading The Color Purple.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2008, 08:26:43 AM »

Why is there a new thread for this? Use the old thread.

Book threads always reincarnate.  To interrupt them is to interrupt the cycle of life.

I'm still reading David Copperfield.  Send help.  Also been trying to catch a few more modern, mainstream books, so I'm halfway through Forgive Me, by Amanda Eyre Ward and just starting Spook Country by William Gibson.  And I found the Mass Effect art book going cheap and intend to read it in a slavishly nerdy fashion.

I really enjoyed "The Absolute At Large" by Karel Capek. It is laugh out loud hilarious most of the way through the book - I don't know how he does it, all of his characters are comedy masterpieces and the black humour runs through his work like a mighty river. It is the single most blasphemous book I've ever read. "War With the Newts" also by Capek is very good. Capek coined the term "robot".

*writes down Capek in notebook*

I've also really enjoyed Kafka's greats (I guess my favourite is "The Trial")

Yes.  Call me crazy, but I really liked the surreal melancholy of Kafka's America.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2008, 08:28:30 AM »

Uh, sorry guys. I didn't know that there was already a thread for this. I mean, it's only a year old and all. Darn me for not knowing about every single thread and post on TIGS! There is only one cure!

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2008, 08:32:53 AM »

Uh, sorry guys. I didn't know that there was already a thread for this. I mean, it's only a year old and all. Darn me for not knowing about every single thread and post on TIGS! There is only one cure!

I will retire and journey on foot to Tibet, where I'll fight a dragon, find the promised land of Norway and gain control over Russia.

It's alright to post on old threads, and probably even preferable to creating a new one. Smiley
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »

I will retire and journey on foot to Tibet, where I'll fight a dragon, find the promised land of Norway and gain control over Russia.

It's alright to post on old threads, and probably even preferable to creating a new one. Smiley

Point is, I didn't know the old thread existed. That's all I'm trying to convey here. I'm sorry for not browsing through all 20 pages of the General forum before making my post.

Meanwhile, trying to stay on topic: Brinsgr is very good. I'm enjoying it, at least. Fans of Fantasy or Dragons or both should give it a shot.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »

There's a "search" function, look for it (it's probably covered by your bulging dolphin crotch)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 01:02:42 PM »

John dies at the end.
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »

I read Siddhartha quite recently. It did not blow my mind; in fact, I did not like it much at all.

Kafka, however, is one of the greatest writers ever to live in my opinion.

Also, Crime and Punishment is good, but The Brothers Karamazov is better. Hitchhiker's Guide, Slaughterhouse 5, and Catch 22 are all excellent books as well.

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »

I meant to finish reading this.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2008, 06:44:09 PM »

Some of my favorite writers are Lovecraft, of course, J.G. Ballard and Michael Moorcock. My favorite Books are Crash (Ballard), a Cure for Cancer (Moorcock) and Neuromancer (William Gibson).

At this moment I want to read Philip K. Dick and Oscar Wilde. I still have The Flamingo's Smile, from Stephen J. Gould, to read, and I want to get The Physics from Star Trek and Hitchhicker Guide to the Galaxy.

Vegetable
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »

I meant to finish reading this.

You'll want to do it soon. The book is being pulled off the Internet September 30, which is less than twelve hours from now. I just finished it a few minutes ago, and I'm glad I had.
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »

Ah, shit, I forgot that we're at the end of the month. Well, I'll be saving some pages, on #22 right now. Smiley
neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2008, 12:30:36 PM »

this is a perennial classic.

DOOM: REPERCUSSIONS OF EVIL

John Stalvern waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were demons in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Cernel Joson were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
John was a space marine for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the spaceships and he said to dad "I want to be on the ships daddy."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of the UAC he knew there were demons.
"This is Joson" the radio crackered. "You must fight the demons!"
So John gotted his palsma rifle and blew up the wall.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons
"I will shoot at him" said the cyberdemon and he fired the rocket missiles. John plasmaed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the demons" he shouted
The radio said "No, John. You are the demons"
And then John was a zombie.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic