Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411957 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58478 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 01:11:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBooks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Books  (Read 10928 times)
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2008, 11:42:01 PM »

Bone!  Shocked
Damn, that feels like an eternity ago...
*runs off to re-read* Beer!
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2008, 12:55:42 AM »

My favourite comic is The Filth by Grant Morrison. Others I like include Fables by Bill Willingham, Eden by Hiroki Endo, Phoenix by Osamu Tezuka, and... One Piece, by Eiichiro Oda. There, I said it.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2008, 09:03:39 AM »

what?? but one piece IS good.  no need to feel ashamed.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »

One Piece is the shit. It is the best thing to come out of Japan in years. I'm not even slightly joking.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »

Yay!

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2008, 06:56:02 AM »

oh, this has turned into a comics thread

great

Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »

...Others I like include Fables by Bill Willingham...
Heh, I just brought that up in the comics thread.  Beer!
mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2008, 12:58:02 PM »

I just started reading "The Myst Reader" (collection of all three Myst books), because I love the games and got into my head somehow that I wanted to read the books before playing End of Ages.  Don't know what to think of it yet, only read the prologue so far.

The last books I read (aside from a sprinkling of various Discworld stuff) was the Dark Tower series by Stephen King (first thing I've read by him), which was.. uh.  Painful and really nauseating at times, but overall I think I liked it.  Didn't actually mind the ending either, it fit somehow.  Specially with the original poem afterwards.

On the comics front, I like the Flight series.  Should get the fifth one.  Also got some stuff by Chris Ware, Jason, etc, and of course Bone.  Want to read Frank (FrÃ¥nk?) by Jim Woodring sometime.
Gnarf
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2008, 01:02:02 PM »

I'd imagine we could possibly keep the comic stuff out of this thread since chutup made a new thread for comic stuff Smiley

Someone mentioned some Song of Ice and Fire stuff here. Seconded. It's excellent.
Renton
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2008, 02:18:43 PM »

I dunno if it was mentioned but any fantasy fan should read the Dragonlance and the Dark Elf trilogies. Good stuff.
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »

I'm reading Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion right now. I'm a big fan of non-fiction. Some favorite non-fiction books of mine:

Everything Bad is Good for You - Stephen Johnson: about how modern media may actually be making us smarter, at least in comparison to our elders.

Helter Skelter - Vincent Bugliosi: He could've just titled it How I Pwnt Charles Manson, really.

A Cast of Killers - Sidney D. Kirkpatrick: More true crime, the old Hollywood variety. About the murder of William Desmond Taylor.

City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less - Nina Wildorf: How do I managed life? Like this!

Sin in the Second City - Karen Abbott: About the Everleigh Sisters and how they came to build the most acclaimed brothel in Chicago.

I like fiction too, though. I've got a spot for Stephen King novels (though I don't care for The Dark Tower series). I also love the Harry Potter series. Of the books I've read recently, I liked The Handmaid's Tale (which is a little too... relevant to current events for my liking) and Spy vs. Spy: The Complete Casebook the most (though I supposed read isn't quite the right word, particularly regarding anything Antonio Prohias drew).

Speaking of comics, Watchmen has a place on my shelf, but I like V for Vendetta more. Also, I highly recommend both Transmetropolitan and Phonogram.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic