Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:38:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGrassbox
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Grassbox  (Read 7221 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:57 AM »

Lovely axe. So simple yet all the polygons it needs. But what's that yellow mess of vertices supposed to be? Who, Me?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »

Fireball perhaps?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »

It's supposed to be a hand but I think Delko did something wrong (blaming him immediately)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »

Oooh! Could this possibly be an answer for a poor man's The Elder Scrolls?
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »

Me likes this.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

I fixed the hand, I copied my icosahedron loader which translates vertices randomly to give a more natural look to things...
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

Not sure about the poor man's part. It's funny but I've noticed that simulating old graphics techiques from 80s or 90s on modern hardware is computationally actually more expensive that you'd think. LHX Attack Chopper had a similar low-poly 3d style in early nineties something and it ran fine on my 286 ... and that's what ... 8 MHz. I admit this has a lot more polygons but even on a dedicated GPU it's not running 60 frames per second for Quarry. It's probably because of all the intermediate layers (mainly the OS) between the application and the metal that wasn't an issues back then.

Sorry for the off-topicness.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:22:09 PM by Eigen » Logged

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

Yes yes yes yes.

Please let this be a game you finish.  Beg

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 12:43:14 PM »

Not sure about the poor man's part. It's funny but I've noticed that simulating old graphics techiques from 80s or 90s on modern hardware is computationally actually more expensive that you'd think. LHX Attack Chopper had a similar low-poly 3d style in early nineties something and it ran fine on my 286 ... and that's what ... 8 MHz. I admit this has a lot more polygons but even on a dedicated GPU it's not running 60 frames per second for Quarry. It's probably because of all the intermediate layers (mainly the OS) between the application and the metal that wasn't an issues back then.

Sorry for the off-topicness.

The thing is that I'm on a notebook with netbook hardware, with the exception of the ridiculous amount of RAM (4GB). The game isn't even completely optimized as in there's no chunk division and display lists aren't properly optimized.

@kurtss

I'm not sure what's the finish for this, I guess I'll add collision, do the obelisk thing I wanted and just jam some content in it, then just release it for free (open source in this case) or a dollar on Desura?

I'm not really sure whether if I should get it out for monnays because I don't think that this'll get any well reception unless I put in some form of modding license to have people add things to the game (like Minecraft now but non-obf code), I don't really know how well that'll work either as I don't have an army of lawyers in my pocket
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 01:05:38 PM »

I want moar before I judge  Sad
Skybox please?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 01:34:00 PM »

I used white to keep the simplicity and to assist the UI, I'm not sure if a skybox would look any good on a basic fixed size terrain though
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »

Add a simple modding "API" and call it a day. That could work. I recently made a game where it's just a base and you add everything else/remove it at your own will. It could work for this?

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 02:00:47 PM »

I have no idea how I can make an API that allows players to have multiple mods run at the same time without the users compiling things, my understanding of Java is not there yet and I can't find any resources to help me create a proper API (forge or bukkit of minecraft for ex)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »

Define mod. If you want to modify the game logic then you need to add scripting support. If you simply want to replace textures and add new objects/resources then you'd simply have to read some definition files which the user could edit/remove or add.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 02:27:31 AM »

I want people to be able to add new items and resources, however you have to modify the actual compiled Java code to change how things are rendered
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 03:53:32 AM »

fuck that
write a configfile format (or use one of the readily available ones, haha)

Code:
itemName = string name here

itemPolygons = x y z; x y z; x y z; colorRGB; //ad infinitum tris

itemStat = 10
someOtherStat = -1
If you want added logic, as you said you need some kind of scripting support, but you dont need to modify the java code to make rendering asset changes, define a filetype.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 06:02:45 AM »

LETS ROLL!
errik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »

I like the style Smiley

Keeping an eye on this!
Quarry