Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:07:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs¡Cacto Loco!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: ¡Cacto Loco!  (Read 40246 times)
siskavard
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:11 AM »

This is really fun! Nice and hectic, although I had trouble understanding what each pick up did because of so much stuff going on.

The story is really lovely too!!

You may have discussed it already, but what are your plans for release? Steam etc?
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »

As of right now the project is planned for free release.

Each chili pepper raises the your fire power by a level, if you get hit you drop one level.

Glad to hear you liked it!  Beer!

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »

Hey.
I love the sound of the composer who replaced me. He's done a very good job, and I doubt I would have made it the way he did.  Gentleman

However, I couldn't actually run the build. I get a pop-up message saying "Error: Cannot read the game file."  My Word!
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »

what system are you running it on?

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »

Windows 7 x64
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:42 AM »

You just need to rename the .exe to something without the loco ¡! characters, then it should work  Tongue

I got the same issue at first. Then the game was pure awesome. Though hopefully we can have controller support in (if not I guess I'll reinstall some mapping software), it's not quite comfortable with either the keyboard only or the mouse (as the mouse is hard to fit in the 8 directions) for me.

Anyway, it sure lives up to the name, I love it Smiley
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:33:32 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2013, 12:46:51 PM »

Awesome! Thanks Games Inquirer!
I've been having alot of people with that problem and I wasn't sure what it was. Going to update the file name now. 360 controller support will likely be in the final version of the game.

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

Yep, that solved it.

Everything is epic! You could, however, play with the volume of the musics because each one has a slightly different volume and it feels weird.

You've listed me as "menu music" even though I also did the score screen & death music, but I guess you could call that "menu"s. It seems kind-of unclear though.

I like what you did with the control scheme. But yeah, I agree that the mouse feels weird.
You have, however, lost the feel of the "classic arcade" and you essentially made a twin-stick-shooter but with buttons. Not a bad thing though.
The first boss seems too easy now. If before I had to fight the control scheme (which added to the challenge), now it's a breeze.

I've noticed the 2nd boss'es AI's tendency to corner you though. Yep, challenging; Yep, it killed me. Well done.

I did however sometimes get stuck somewhere near the edge of the screen. Nothing I couldn't struggle out of, but it did make me lose some firepower during bossfights and during normal play.

Also, it seems to me like the bossfight background music feels repetitive when you get to the 2nd boss. It's a feeling of "Hey, I've heard that before" which makes it cheesy.
My suggestion? Different music for each boss.

And there's a loss of consistency between different menus. Sometimes selection is RETURN, and sometimes it's SPACE; and this is abit annoying. I found myself, for instance, in the score screen, pressing all buttons on my keyboard until I find the button that moves me to the next letter (which is space).
And as someone who had access to the pre-release, at first, in the main menu, I tried Z,X,C before trying RETURN. Yeah, this is not a problem everybody will have, but just letting you know.
Maybe a little picture of the control scheme could fit the main menu well. And I mean control scheme for both in-game and in-menu.

Other than that, THE GAME IS EPIC.
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2013, 10:26:33 PM »

Yes, I too think there are some issues with such situations where you get a little stuck for a split second. What if enemies hitting you made you bounce a little away from them (and if a wall is there then bounce back to another direction)? Some enemies follow you very fast, maybe with the same speed you have, and when they're basically touching you your shots seem to go through them, so the moment you stop being invincible from the last hit they get you again. I think.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2013, 08:53:11 AM »

Sometimes the enemies fly out of the side of the screen while you're standing there and run right into you.  Suggest adding a warning indicator for enemies about to emerge from the sides of the screen.  I had to do this in the arena game I made ..

The bosses feel like they need more variety in attacks.  I think the first boss had just one and the second boss had two ..

Before the 2nd boss, it's difficult to tell where the giant rocks are going to fall.  Maybe add a shadow under where they're going to land.

I realize the dust clouds are supposed to obscure your vision, but they may be doing their job a bit too well.  Suggest making them smaller or transparent?

I think the mouse aiming is bugged - at some points I'm sure I was aiming straight down from my character, but it was still shooting diagonally.  Would need some more testing, but I think there's something wrong.
TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »

Thanks guys. Yeah the mouse is a bit buggy I made the terrible mistake of trying to add it in the night before release and didn't notice how buggy it really was.  Embarrassed

But as of right now I'm working on fixing the problem with aiming. I'll probably just lessen the number of sand dust instances created during the storm, to give better vision. An indicator is a great idea, I'm definitely going to implement that. As far as getting stuck goes could you elaborate on that a bit more? You're getting stuck on walls? or when enemies surround you? or when you touch the view edge during a boss fight or lock view moment?

Sorry Ivan! Menus music was supposed to mean all the interface music. Don't worry you'll have a better credit listing in the final release!  Beer!

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2013, 09:10:59 AM »

I didn't get stuck, but I was trying to stay near the center to avoid enemies from flying in from the sides and ganking me.

Edit: One more thing I forgot to mention, it's possible to milk one of the enemies that pop up from the ground in level 2 repeatedly.  I'm aware there's a time limit, but it could be pretty boring for the player to have to sit there to maximize their score (Is there really any scoring system to begin with?  Maybe the score should just be gotten rid of otherwise)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:46:57 PM by Udderdude » Logged
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2013, 05:03:07 AM »

I'm aware there's a time limit, but it could be pretty boring for the player to have to sit there to maximize their score (Is there really any scoring system to begin with?  Maybe the score should just be gotten rid of otherwise)

Haha what?

"Remove scoring because of a thing that doesn't matter".

You wouldn't get as many points as if you would just finish the level/stay alive/not let time run out.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2013, 05:07:24 AM »

If there's no way to improve your score, it's kind of pointless except as a reflection of how far you got in the game, similar to old shmups.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2013, 05:10:50 AM »

But there is a score. It is a shmup, more or less.

Why would that be removed? Its the heart of games like this.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2013, 05:37:34 AM »

If you're talking about modern shmups, yeah, because you can improve your score in those because they have a scoring system.  Older shmups and this game don't have that.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2013, 05:52:29 AM »

But this game has a scoring system what the hell are you talking about.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2013, 05:54:10 AM »

If there is one, I didn't notice it, which is why I asked if there was one in the first place.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2013, 05:54:59 AM »

I recommend looking at any screenshot.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2013, 06:07:31 AM »

I played the whole demo, didn't notice anything.  And by scoring system I don't just mean "You can get points by killing things" .. there has to be some way to improve it (Combo/chain counter, collectable medals, proximity bonus, something like that)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic