Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:45:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLet's Play: Obscure NES Games
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Let's Play: Obscure NES Games  (Read 6043 times)
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »

Heh, I'm not trying to be cool, professional, or even earn anything from doing LP's. I had no idea it was even a bandwagon; shows how much attention I pay to the whole thing. I just wanted to play and record my experience with some lesser known games, and if people enjoyed watching that, then I'm glad.

I just spent almost an hour playing Wizards and Warriors before I realized what a dull game it turns out to be after about 20 years of not playing it. I felt like I was pretty pessimistic about the game for most of the time I played, so I'm debating whether or not the video is even worth putting together and uploading. Seems kind of dumb to play up to the end of something and just realize it's not worth finishing.

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »

I've never heard of any of these, but as long as they're good, I'll give them a shot.

Well, good might be pushing it for a couple of them.  But they're all worth playing.
ClayB
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »

If you want a new game to check out, Gogol 13 The Mafat Conspiracy is awesome. Although, I unno how obscure that is.
flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »

Gumshoe is unplayable unless your light gun is pressed right up to your TV screen, at which point it becomes borderline unplayable.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16:14 PM »

It's perfectly playable with a mouse - but really fucking hard.  I'd like to see it get a release on the VC now that every Nintendo device has a touch screen now.
Graffix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2013, 08:22:42 AM »

Sorry,  this is pretty off-topic but.. are you guys still working on Sword of Legends or is that long dead now?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »

Heh, I'm not trying to be cool, professional, or even earn anything from doing LP's. I had no idea it was even a bandwagon; shows how much attention I pay to the whole thing. I just wanted to play and record my experience with some lesser known games, and if people enjoyed watching that, then I'm glad.

I just spent almost an hour playing Wizards and Warriors before I realized what a dull game it turns out to be after about 20 years of not playing it. I felt like I was pretty pessimistic about the game for most of the time I played, so I'm debating whether or not the video is even worth putting together and uploading. Seems kind of dumb to play up to the end of something and just realize it's not worth finishing.

Well, mayb list it as a terrible game and we get to see how painful it is to you rather than endure it ourselves.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »

Is Legacy of the Wizard considered obscure by your standards? That was one of my favorites as a child. Some elements (collecting keys from random monster drops, one very difficult to find shop to buy an important item) are bad design by modern standards, but the majority of the game has aged well.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 05:15:27 AM »

Sorry,  this is pretty off-topic but.. are you guys still working on Sword of Legends or is that long dead now?

Yeah, that project died, sorry Sad Would be cool to make something similar to it someday though, wouldn't it?

Well, mayb list it as a terrible game and we get to see how painful it is to you rather than endure it ourselves.

I figured out the part where I got stuck on W&W, so I might give it another shot and just finish it off and upload the video maybe tomorrow (today) or something.

Is Legacy of the Wizard considered obscure by your standards? That was one of my favorites as a child. Some elements (collecting keys from random monster drops, one very difficult to find shop to buy an important item) are bad design by modern standards, but the majority of the game has aged well.

I'd say Legacy of the Wizard is obscure enough for the purpose of these videos, pretty much on the same level as Wizards & Warriors. I enjoyed that game as a kid but I'm apprehensive to delve into it, because the game itself is very maze heavy and I never got very far as a kid. A Let's Play series could take quite a while, dunno. I love and still listen to that game's soundtrack though. It's got one of the best NES OSTs.

Here's a list of games I'd like to play and my experience with them:

- Faxanadu - Rented/Emulated/Beaten at least once
- Sweet Home (JP) - Emulated once/Beaten once
- Monster Party - Emulated and beaten at least once
- Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (JP) - Emulated and beaten at least once
- The Uninvited - Rented/Emulated/Never beaten
- ShadowGate - Owned and beaten more than once
- Crystalis - Owned/Emulated and beaten more than once
- The Guardian Legend - Owned/Emulated and beaten more than once
- Legacy of the Wizard - Owned but never beaten
- Goonies II - Rented/Emulated/Never beaten
- Deadly Towers - Owned/Never Beaten
- Cocoron (JP) - Emulated once/Beaten once
- Clash at Demonhead - Rented/Emulated/Never Beaten
- Xexyz - Never played
- Willow - Owned/Emulated - Maybe beat once
- Little Nemo the Dream Master - Never played
- Star Tropics - Owned/Beaten at least once(?)
- Gun Nac - Emulated/Beaten(?)
- Battle of Olympus - Owned/Emulated - I think I beat it once
- Shatterhand - Never played
- VICE: Project Doom - Never played
- River City Ransom - Rented/Emulated - Not sure if ever beaten
- Conquest of the Crystal Palace - Emulated once/Never beaten
- Maniac Mansion - Never Played
- The Magic of Scheherazade - Never played
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 06:02:36 AM by phubans » Logged

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2013, 07:53:49 PM »

So my former boss and friend did a ROM hack of Donkey Kong so his daughter could play as the girl (Pauline) to save Mario,

This inspired me to do a video of me playing an old ROM hack of mine from the year 2000, which some of you might remember me discovering 3 years ago in this thread. Anyways, here's a Let's Play of Mario's Dream World:

deathtotheweird
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »

So my former boss and friend did a ROM hack of Donkey Kong so his daughter could play as the girl (Pauline) to save Mario,

that's awesome. especially cool to see someone step up and do something rather than make a video on youtube and complain about it. someone did something similar for wind waker as well.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »

Cool! It's kind of funny how surprised you seem at some of the stuff you're finding in your own romhack. I guess it makes sense if it was from that long ago, though.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »

Hey all, I decided to start doing a Let's Play of one of my favorite NES classics of all time:

CRYSTALIS

Crystalis is a top-down action RPG in the vein of Zelda, but with more complex RPG elements and systems. Known as God Slayer: Haruka Tenkū no Sonata (God Slayer: Sonata of the Far-Away Sky) in Japan, this game was developed and published by SNK in 1990. The game is heavily influenced by the earlier works of Hayao Miyazaki, specifically Nausicaa, and tells the story of a post-apocalyptic fantasy world where civilization has been reduced to a pre-technological state. However, magic and some remnants of technology still remain.

Crystalis ranks among my favorite games of all time, and is definitely tied with The Guardian Legend for my favorite NES game.

Please enjoy watching my Let's Play series for Crystalis here:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:58:14 PM by phubans » Logged

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »

Is this what we're doing now, phubans?  Mock Anger

I will start watching as soon as I return to youtube.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2013, 12:25:26 AM »

almost as good as paste's let's play of it, tho both are inferior to hcbailly's let's play of it

Ant
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:45 AM »

What happened with your Spelunky vid? I saw it on your twitter last night but didn't watch it since I was off to bed. Got up this morning and it's gone...
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:03 AM »

ya i saw it too, and planned on watching it, then it disappeared

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2013, 02:29:43 AM »

Haha, sorry Paste, I forgot you played that! I watched your entire series, too! I was just in the mood to play the game and I figured it was a good opportunity to record it. There's already a ton of other Crystalis Let's Plays out there, but why not, right? Tongue

As for the Spelunky video, it will be back up on the 28th. Derek doesn't want any gameplay footage of the daily challenges until that date because that's when a few big LPers are going to be doing the challenge.

Anyways, here's part 6 of my Crystalis LP:

paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:27 PM »

Yeah I know. I wasn't breaking new ground or anything either ;]
Also, yours is different in that you've played it, so it's probably gonna be more pro.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2013, 02:06:07 PM »

In my next LP I'm going to start with "Hey you, it's me Pas- er, Phubans!" Cheesy

Anyways, here's part 7 of Crystalis - Calming the Angry Sea

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic