Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 12:19:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGib God - DONE! - Xbox Controllers needed to play (local deathmatch party game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gib God - DONE! - Xbox Controllers needed to play (local deathmatch party game)  (Read 3076 times)
neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:04:07 AM »

DONE!

Update
This game is done, download it here! Xbox controllers are needed and the game runs on Windows and Mac. To play on Mac you'll need to download the Tattie Bogle drivers for the Xbox controllers

Game Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnzmksjoxj52e53/GIBGOD.zip

Tattie Bogle Drivers for OSX (sometimes a little finicky)
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Trailer

intro
Hey, two year lurker finally posting something. I'm a sophomore at USC studying game design and this is the start of a semester long project for an intermediate design class.

We're a two man team, Danny is doing animation and some sound, and I (Neilson) am doing programming, level design, and UI. Both of us are in a design role for this project.

overview
Gib Gods is a local multiplayer game played with Xbox gamepads with current support only for two players.

The main game mechanic is the rocket launcher, with it you can rocket jump, juggle your opponent with rockets and other cool physics based stuff.

gameplay

concept art

screenshots

first build

first stage

thanks for watching,
-Neilson
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:31:16 PM by Burly » Logged

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 02:07:48 AM »

Looks pretty cool, though the explosion effect could use some toning down, a small explosion would be more readable than shooting particles all over the place.
What platforms are you developing for? Windows only?

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 02:50:12 PM »

looks completely mental  Evil i really like the insanely huge explosions, not even though they hurt readability but BECAUSE they hurt readability. for a local multi-player game i think its more important to have fun than to have total control
neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 12:10:36 PM »

@Netsu
Thanks, I overhauled the explosion, made it a lot more juicy. Cant wait to post a video with it in the next week.
Right now Im developing on Mac but I want to try and build to Xbox eventually since our school has a couple dev kits (I think). Sadly since I have to use a plugin for the Xbox controller for mac I cant build to windows without the input getting all screwed up.

@rosholger
Yes thank you I love you, although I did tone down the explosions a bit. BUT SCREENSHAKE NOW

Heres some concept art for the lava stages, I want to post a video in the next week, all this other school work is jumping up at me but Im making progress. The gibs are getting juicier.

oh and my to do list, I wanted to post this. I have a more elaborate schedule planned but this is what I look at most

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:07:07 PM by Burly » Logged

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 02:08:50 PM »

People usually don't realise how much a simple screenshake can add to the feel. Usually once I add them I feel like I've been playing without sounds the whole time before.
Yay for landing particles and anims, those are always cool Grin

neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:20:26 PM »

@Netsu
Yeah the sounds definitely felt different after I added it

It's been a slow week because of other work but here's a peek at my work on gibs! Right now the blue guy isnt exploding into the blue gibs but I'll fix that soon.

neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »

How I was thinking the stage and mode selection would look like. We have a music guy on our team now from Berklee!

Gib
Level 0

sup?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »

This looks freaking cool guyz. And not just because there is my name in it.

Welp, twitter and stuff. And b__g.
neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

@Gib
Thanks a lot!  Smiley

UI is now working fully, I just have to implement the game mode and tidy up the stages! I'll post a video in a couple days (hopefully) that shows the entire game at this point.

Also work has begun on a cooperative rocket jump mode! The alpha for our project is due this coming thursday but there's still a lot of content I want to add before then!

Anyway here's a screenshot of the rocket jump mode:

neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 03:09:18 AM »

The video is coming later next week. Two rocket jump courses are complete and work on the third game mode has begun, also I reworked the UI tonight.

shelly
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:12:23 AM »

like! The UI and overall visuals are great!

too bad it's only playable with controllers... =/

neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »

@sclly
Yeah only with xbox gamepads, but I made it compatible for Mac and Windows a while back which is a plus  Smiley

Had some time to make this today!

neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 01:56:59 PM »

As per the class requirements I made a trailer for the game, enjoy!

Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »

Game Looks great.

neilson
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 06:15:19 PM »

DONE!

I submitted Gib Gods to Indiecade a month back, here's public download for those who want the finished build. Xbox controllers are needed and the game runs on Windows and Mac. To play on Mac you'll need to download the Tattie Bogle drivers for the Xbox controllers

Enjoy!

Game Download
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnzmksjoxj52e53/GIBGOD.zip

Tattie Bogle Drivers for OSX (sometimes a little finicky)
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic