Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:57:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNewborn Bard: Perspective Based Puzzle Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Newborn Bard: Perspective Based Puzzle Game  (Read 857 times)
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »

Hey guys were back.
My introduction is here if you are interested.

If any of you remember the Movable Forest thread, we are now working under a new name:
Newborn Bard.
We took some time off while finishing up school and now we are back in action.

CONCEPT
I am a big fan of Walt Disney’s animated films and the original idea for this game was inspired by Disney’s multiplane camera. The question we posed was, what would it be like if you could walk around in a multiplane camera world? Well, the main rule governing the world would be parallax and the scenes in front of you would change based on your point of view.

Our game concept is more or less the same as before, with a few ideas changed around. The puzzles will still be perspective based. You start out in a forest world, the first of three separate worlds.
Before, we were considering boss battles at the end of each world but this idea has evolved a bit. They will no longer be battles but instead encounters with mystical forest spirits. These encounters are really the core of the game as you will see in our demo.

GAMEPLAY
The gameplay requires solving jigsaw-like puzzles using perspective. The main style of puzzle we’ve been working on requires dragging the puzzle pieces around until they line up from a specific point of view. Kind of hard to explain, it’s much easier to understand when you see it.  But here’s what one of the first puzzles looks like.

added some underbrush and different plants in this one

Right now I am working mostly on the art style and the music style. My goal is to have these work together and feed off of each other. I absolutely love games like Machinarium and Sword and Sworcery , which manage to do this really well.

For now I will be posting screenshots and animations, maybe some music as well. I’m looking for feedback and suggestions.
We should have a demo up and running in the next few months so stay tuned!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:03:39 PM by alemke » Logged

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:54:03 PM »

Looks and sounds really great - will be following!

alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 03:10:38 PM »

Ive finally been able to get some work done recently. The basic puzzle solving code is written, only need to add journal entries, and make the puzzle pieces dragable before this first world is playable as a demo, so stay tuned. O yea and music and better character animations too.
Im shooting for mid May sometime to a have a working demo up.

Also I had time to do some cosmetic updates. I added a 2nd screen shot to the first post showing off the different plants and underbrush Ive been playing around with. Fixed some particle issues as well. Lemme know what yall think.
peace.

Moromis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »

This. Is amazing. Really a cool concept, and pulled from a genuinely great source. My only problem - if I really have any at all - is the red background in the new(ish) trailer. I jumped over to your old thread, and the trailer for that evokes the mood of a game I actually would really like to play and see in action. It looks fully put together in a beautiful and sound way. The red BG looks far worse in contrast. Is it part of a day/night cycle? Again - much love for this.

Live 3-6 PST

Mai sounds

Mai arts
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:40 AM »

Seems like a neat idea, and something like Rittai Kakushi E Atta Kore Da.  http://nintendo5star.blogspot.com/2010/04/rittai-kakushi-e-attakoreda-coming-to.html

I look forward to seeing this game in action!
alemke
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 09:38:06 PM »

This. Is amazing. Really a cool concept, and pulled from a genuinely great source. My only problem - if I really have any at all - is the red background in the new(ish) trailer. I jumped over to your old thread, and the trailer for that evokes the mood of a game I actually would really like to play and see in action. It looks fully put together in a beautiful and sound way. The red BG looks far worse in contrast. Is it part of a day/night cycle? Again - much love for this.

thanks, im still playing around with backgrounds. Havent really decided on which ones i like best. So you like the orange one from the old trailer? or it think there were some blue ones in there too.
Orange does work nicely, it compliments the blue flowers more.
the plan is to start the game around dusk and each level the sun goes down a bit. So by the end its night time and all the stars are out.

Seems like a neat idea, and something like Rittai Kakushi E Atta Kore Da.  http://nintendo5star.blogspot.com/2010/04/rittai-kakushi-e-attakoreda-coming-to.html

I look forward to seeing this game in action!

man that game looks cool! i like the perspective based puzzles.
i need to get my hands on a copy.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic