Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:26:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318594 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2013, 06:29:10 PM »

Yo!

You're using HaXe, huh? Are you using HaxePunk, HaxeFlixel, NME, or something else, and how do you like it? It's pretty fun and interesting to compile to different targets, and is fairly similar to ActionScript.

Anywho, keep up game development - side-scrolling platforming games are always fun.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »

Yo!

You're using HaXe, huh? Are you using HaxePunk, HaxeFlixel, NME, or something else, and how do you like it? It's pretty fun and interesting to compile to different targets, and is fairly similar to ActionScript.

Anywho, keep up game development - side-scrolling platforming games are always fun.

HaXeFlixel! It works great and does everything I need except resize the window when windowed. Might have to do that myself...thanks! Yes, well there are these ideas and themes we want to play with and look at through this sort of narrative and worlds, and it best fits in a sprawling adventure, or so we think...

..anyways I tried to end a dry period by writing some music.

It came out sad AGAIN. the instruments are randomly thrown together but yeah

http://tindeck.com/listen/umzs

play hydlide 2
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2013, 02:33:33 PM »

You lucky bastard Smiley

You got art , making games with squares discourage me , art gives me a pump up !
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2013, 09:26:55 PM »

You lucky bastard Smiley

You got art , making games with squares discourage me , art gives me a pump up !

HAHA this isn't the final art (unless thats not waht you meant) but yeah, it will be a big motivation boost once jon has some of his art in here.

In te meantime, today I spent far too long on a problem set for school, learning far more about singular value decompositions and power methods of calculating eigenvalues of matrices than i would ever care for (uses in AI and statistics).

but I had time to work on a song and I'm quite happy with it so far.

http://tindeck.com/listen/tggy

dunno if it'll be used in the game of course, but it's a thing!

play hydlide 2
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2013, 08:46:07 AM »

I really enjoyed following Anodyne's development, good luck with this game!

I'm curious to see how HaxeFlixel treats you as you get further along. I've been developing Flash games with FlashPunk for a couple of years now, and have been considering giving HaxePunk/HaxeFlixel a try, as supporting multiple platforms definitely interests me. However, I often read on /r/gamedev that Haxe just isn't 'there' yet, especially regarding cross-platform support. Seems everything is smooth sailing for you so far though, which is awesome.

How are your performance gains? Is Haxe outperforming Adobe AIR for you? Again, good luck, I'll definitely keep my eyes on this one!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »

AND IT'S NOT ZELDA II.

I stole those graphics from somewhere, they are just placeholder.

Here ist he in-progress world map song, I think.
http://tindeck.com/review?id=neya

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2013, 11:47:59 PM »

Todya was mostly spent writing an essay for school.

I managed to squeeze in a little bit of time to do a few editor things.

Will do a bit of design stuff before bed.

MOre tomorrow I hope!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »

yesterday I worked on save stuff, and state switching. Memory for states is allocated once, we avoid using Flixel's built in switch state function for more flexibility...clarity for me, too. I can force-update states when they aren't active, change things about them, and poop them out whereever I desire.

same with today so far -

Now there is multiple save support, and you can just drag folders around with saves.

I will probably encrypt map entity data at a really basic level so that it's not obvious for people to edit stuff (But if you really want to, then you'll be able to pretty easily).

I also spent a little bit of yesterday in class working on an area.

play hydlide 2
CryingGhost
Level 0

gomennasai

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »

I hear something something mountains is quite nice this time of year.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »

so do I!

I got a lot done yesterday. Fixing some music cues, fixed the multiple saving, some design.

Today I need to do a homework assignment. Doesn't look like it will take very long.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »

so much fun stuff figuring out shit with playing sounds in NME.

GUESS WHAT only one MP3 at a time. but it works with OGG out of the box so that's nice. BUT you have to load them and get em ready at runtime or else they lag the game wheny ou try to fetch them.

lots of weird caveats, but it's allg ood i guess

so we're moving entirely to ogg. which is fine anyways. mp3 is proprietary and weird apparently.

play hydlide 2
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »

Well, OGG is open, seems to compress to a file a tiny bit smaller than MP3, and apparently sounds better at lower bitrates anyway. I get OGG for my music files whenever I can from BandCamp, hah.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2013, 03:09:17 AM »

GUESS WHAT only one MP3 at a time. but it works with OGG out of the box so that's nice. BUT you have to load them and get em ready at runtime or else they lag the game wheny ou try to fetch them.
so we're moving entirely to ogg. which is fine anyways. mp3 is proprietary and weird apparently.

NME sound playback is limited by SDL_Mixer, which is terrible. I think they're in the process of upgrading to use OpenAL and that'll fix most issues. The one-song-at-a-time thing is more of a hardware restriction since NME is designed to work directly on iOS.

I currently use OGG for music. MP3 stutters badly when playing back under SDL_Mixer.

Also, don't manually stop any sounds. There's a bug in the NME sound logic that never frees sound resources after manually stopping them. After 8 such stops, nothing further will play. This goes for looping sounds too. I hack around it by never stopping looping sounds, just lowering the volume to zero. With only 2 looping sounds in the whole game, this "works".

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2013, 06:20:35 AM »

NME sound playback is limited by SDL_Mixer, which is terrible. I think they're in the process of upgrading to use OpenAL and that'll fix most issues. The one-song-at-a-time thing is more of a hardware restriction since NME is designed to work directly on iOS.

I currently use OGG for music. MP3 stutters badly when playing back under SDL_Mixer.

Also, don't manually stop any sounds. There's a bug in the NME sound logic that never frees sound resources after manually stopping them. After 8 such stops, nothing further will play. This goes for looping sounds too. I hack around it by never stopping looping sounds, just lowering the volume to zero. With only 2 looping sounds in the whole game, this "works".

*takes notes sobbing to self

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »

OGG has worked out really sexy for me too.

SO FAR.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:38 AM »

I, uh, well, wow. holy shit. That's absolutely horrible. I guess I need to find a workaround, this game will probably have 30+ songs x_x.

Well I guess I can just (when fading a song out and the next one in) I can just put the fading out one's position at the end. I'll need to make a separate object for the other song (And every song) but I guess I can deal with that.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2013, 09:50:43 AM »

i wonder if it's easy to fix?  but..probably not

to google!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

It's impossible to fix or workaround without going to the CPP i think. You can't do anything to the sound except let it stop on its own, and you can't set a song's position (I think).

So I spent too long trying to get openAl working (they're trying to implement it I think). dunno if that's finished, but i'm stuck atm.

well this sucks. but i guess it'll be fixed eventually, or maybe i can fix it now idk

http://www.nme.io/community/forums/installing-nme/compiling-openal/#ccm-discussion-post-anchor

play hydlide 2
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2013, 03:27:39 PM »

It's impossible to fix or workaround without going to the CPP i think. You can't do anything to the sound except let it stop on its own, and you can't set a song's position (I think).

Right, getting/setting sound position doesn't work on CPP using SDL_Mixer.

I think the stopping-sounds bug doesn't affect streaming sounds. This means specifying the type as "music" in the NMML and giving up cross-fades. So if you've only got one of those going at a time, you may be ok without CPP changes. Sorry I didn't mention that before.

The alternative workaround is to manually loop the songs yourself using a timer. That way you can do the set-volume-to-zero hack and let it end on its own. Might work ok with short songs.

It's a pain in the ass but I still think these small hacks and tweaks are way, way better than the headache of getting a full C++ SDL engine working smoothly across multiple platforms. And the fact that the flash target compiles nearly-instantly has been a huge advantage for me during development. Still love Haxe/NME Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2013, 03:54:15 PM »

Hmm, I'll look into that for now! I was talking with Sven, apparently he and Josh are fixing up the OpenAL implementation and it should be done soon (And I spent all day figuring out how to get dev build stuff set up). So hopefuly that will work then. But for now, that sounds good with setting one music thing.

Yeah. Definitely, this is really great stuff otherwise, and this is really just a hiccup they know about (And are fixing!).

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic