Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411841 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

June 01, 2024, 06:43:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRustylands - Action / Adventure / 2D
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rustylands - Action / Adventure / 2D  (Read 2822 times)
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »

Rustylands

I started working on this game a few days ago just for fun but i decided to make a devlog to make sure that i will finish it ( or else i can get lazy  Ninja )

Rustylands will be a simple action / adventure game where you go through cities, fight monsters and bosses and get some nice new skills. I haven't planned anything really unique for the game ( i know that there are lots of games like that ) but i just want to make something fun.

Here is how the game is right now:

I'm gonna add an inventory system as soon as i can and maybe shops and things like that ( I gotta make the HUD too )

I'll post more stuff as soon as i develop the game further  Coffee
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:40:42 PM by illugion » Logged
Daz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:29:51 AM »

The game is looking good so far Smiley The tiles and the house seems fine, but what about the character? Is it some kind of alien?

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »

I thought he was maybe some kind of cow thing.
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »

Does he really look like an alien ? It's supposed to be a guy with a moustache and goggles on his forehead, here you can see his running animation:

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »

Hahaha... holy cow it actually *is* a guy... that was difficult to spot until you pointed it out.

Yeah it totally looks like an alien cow.

I think the biggest problem is the guy's eyes are tiny and the goggles are huge and your eyes are drawn right to the goggles and the dark black on the face... which looks like a painful sad mouth instead of a mustache... especially when you think the goggles are the eyes.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 09:24:30 PM »

Hahaha oh man, im gonna edit him then to make him look less like an alien cow  Shrug

Thanks for pointing that out guys!  Smiley
Daz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:50:34 AM »

Oh god, I was thinking that the moustache was some kind of strange alien mouth... That face needs some rework haha. Nice running animation, however.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »

I've redesigned the character a bit, what do you guys think?
Is he better ? Worse ? Does he still look like an alien ?
siskavard
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »

That reads way better as a guy wearing goggles now. But if I'm being honest, the alien cow man really piqued my interest!
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »

Don't worry, maybe an alien cow can appear in the game at some point.. who knows?  Tongue
Thank you for the feedback  Grin
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »

I've redesigned the character a bit, what do you guys think?
Is he better ? Worse ? Does he still look like an alien ?

Good work my son! Good work.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 12:14:28 AM »

Looks much better, I think. Although that could be partly because I now know that it's not a zombie frog (that was my first impression).

For me, all it would take to make it really clear is for him to do something like push his googles up onto his forehead right at the start of the game. Then I would know from the outset how to read him.

egoitzOsa
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 01:27:17 AM »

Hi there men
For me, the main problem is that the hair is to tall so he seems to have something strange on it. My first impression was to think about something like half-life crabs. Not sure.

The idea that @Panurge has thrown is good to, to make a initial animation of the player taking of his glasses or something like that.

I don´t have knowledge (as most of you= about pixel-art and related things but I tried to make a simple fast fix or improvement on the character, don´t know, I think it simples to understand. Hope it helps a little bit.

Maybe, the glasss and the band are too tall too...

The rest is looking really nice Hand Thumbs Up Right

* Hope my fix doesn´t suck as much as my english  Shrug

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »

For me, all it would take to make it really clear is for him to do something like push his googles up onto his forehead right at the start of the game. Then I would know from the outset how to read him.

I thought about doing that but the goggles are really big and doesnt fit his face that well  Tongue I'm planning on starting the game without the band and goggles and then he gets it right at the start or something like that  Wink

For me, the main problem is that the hair is to tall so he seems to have something strange on it. My first impression was to think about something like half-life crabs. Not sure.

Maybe, the glasss and the band are too tall too...

You were right, the hair was really looking weird that way and i've cut it a little bit:

It's still really big and the bandana and goggles too but it's meant to be big, and his hair is like an afro  Smiley

Thanks for all the help guys, the character improved a lot thanks to you and I'm pretty happy with the results. I'll stop editing the character for now and start working on the fighting and the enemies, I'll show it to you soon Coffee
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »

The wall tiles are a bit bland, and the roof tiles seem a bit odd too, but I really like the ground tiles. The character does look better now, yeah.

Nice graphics, and it sounds like a nice game. Keep up development!

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

The wall tiles are a bit bland, and the roof tiles seem a bit odd too, but I really like the ground tiles. The character does look better now, yeah.

Nice graphics, and it sounds like a nice game. Keep up development!

Thanks alot for the comment, to tell the truth i learned the basics of pixel art with your videos so thats really cool  Tears of Joy, i'm trying to get better at it but i'm still just a rookie  Shrug and yeah, the house looks bad, i'm gonna make a new one but i'll leave it there for now as a placeholder.

I've been working on the basic battle system and enemy AI these days, i got the basics done but i got some bugs in the way too and i'm trying to fix that. Here is a gif of the game right now ( the background and the house are placeholders )( I got a slime ! )

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:46:23 PM by illugion » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 10:34:36 PM »

Oh, wow, I'm glad to see people actually appreciate the videos. Thanks for watching them! I like your slime - it looks pretty fluid.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 08:27:21 PM »

Oh, wow, I'm glad to see people actually appreciate the videos. Thanks for watching them! I like your slime - it looks pretty fluid.

Thanks !! Your videos are awesome man, I need more tutorials now !   Hand Shake LeftCrazy Hand Shake Right

Well guys i don't have much to show, i've been working on the knockback from attacks and trying to do some effects and i'm doing the HUD right now, i've corrected tons of bugs with the enemies and i worked a bit on the scenario:

siskavard
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 08:48:24 PM »

I love that BG!!!!
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 12:11:50 AM »

I love that BG!!!!
Thanks a lot ! I got some inspiration from your art, i noticed my game was lacking color and i had to change it ! It really looks better now ! I plan to add more layers of background later but for now i'll try to develop more things related to the gameplay

Overall updates:

• Got the basic hp and knockback system working !
  • Basic plot prepared ! ( spoilers coming soon )
  • I've been getting alot of trouble thinking about the overall design of the game and planning the controls for everything. I plan to have two slots of equipment ( different kinds of weapons or tools ) and i wanted to have a quick way to change them without getting into a menu or pausing the game. With an xbox control its not a big deal but i don't know if there is a way to make it easier to change on the keyboard. I didnt want the game to have complicated controls at all.. Maybe i'll just make one slot and the hammer permanent? I'm not sure.. Screamy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic