Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:30:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMorty's Lost Catacombs : 80's style random dungeon adventure
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Morty's Lost Catacombs : 80's style random dungeon adventure  (Read 4202 times)
devi ever
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »

Latest devlog video... don't mind the wax-dramatic...

devi ever
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 06:45:15 AM »

... this has never been more appropriate ...

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 07:54:22 AM »

ok, tried latest build. thanks for the ingame shout out!  Smiley

i can't keep myself from shooting enemies with the wrong shot and getting killed by giant slimes as a result Sad

it's a fun game and i dig the concept, but i think there are a few things that could be improved about the execution. namely:

1. the game would play smoother if you could store more than 1 of each shot at a time (something like 3-5?). also more shots would allow for a higher monster spawn rate and thus more action, w/o sacrificing the "holy shit a fire slime just spawned and i don't have a water shot!" panic factor that is (imo) one of the most fun aspects of the game.

2. destroying blocks is a bit slow at the moment. it'd be neat if there was a way to slightly increase the radius of the magical block pickup ring thing by e.g. holding down space.

3. not 100% sure about this b/c i understand your motivation of wanting to keep things a little unclear, but i think having some hints as to what the items do wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 02:29:34 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »

Fun stuff so far. I got about 4 levels in, but alas, I too fall into the trap of shooting slimes with the wrong color shots; although I notice that can be helpful in... certain instances too. Wink

I'm really digging the hot and cold and balancing aspect of the game, but it only gets tense where areas generate a lot of one, and not of the other. There should at least be an item you can buy that lets you stock two of the same kind (or you know, one item for each).

Other thing is, you may want to give some transparency (~60-70%) to the [?] blocks on the side; at least if they're not in use yet. There's been a time or two I've been exploring narrow corridors to the left, and that stuff KILLS the visibility over there.

Money-Making Game must appear soon. Wink

devi ever
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 05:10:45 PM »

Thanks for the feedback from both of you!

I'm definitely going to add an item to give you more shots, but maybe I will go ahead and default it at two each. Smiley

I was also going to add a magic ring upgrade to increase the radius, so good call on that as well!

I'm definitely holding firm on there not being any item descriptions, because some of my fondest memories from playing old atari / pc games back in the day was how mysterious it was to figure out what the game was doing and what everything meant without proper instructions. Smiley

... and finally, yeah, I need to resize everything so the GUI stays OUTSIDE the main viewing area.

Thanks again everyone, and I'll be back at a later date with more updates.  For now I'm going to be moving back to working on the POD LANDER game. Smiley

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=33792.0
devi ever
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 09:57:27 PM »

Didn't realize till today how many shitty ads are on gamejolt, the site I've been using to host my video games. I'm going to work hard tonight and tomorrow to build my own video game web page so you can just go there from now.

Until then, you can download the latest version of this game (plus the source GM8 source code) here >

http://www.mediafire.com/download/13222d517b9c2l5/Morty's_Lost_Catacombs_build_031.rar
devi ever
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »

Hey the few people following this devlog...  A few days ago I entered this game into the final selection for Kongregate's Game In Ten Days challenge, which is why I built this game in the first place... though I intend on continuing to work on it more after the contest... ANYHOW...

If you have a chance, check it out along with the other entries  and vote for your favorites!

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/342120-gitd-33-entries-and-discussion?page=1
devi ever
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 06:34:24 AM »

Well, this game hasn't been receiving a lot of love here... but none-the-less, just wanted to post that it won second place at Kongregate's GITD #33 (technically 1st, but a spam-bot removed what would have been my winning vote... and... bullshit technicalities...)

Anyhow... whatever... contests are bullshit... but there it is I guess.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4-game-programming/topics/342120-gitd-33-entries-and-discussion?page=1
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic