Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:58:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMorty Force Five : The Return of Pirate Pete
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Morty Force Five : The Return of Pirate Pete  (Read 807 times)
devi ever
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:47:17 PM »

Gentleman Hand Point Right
What is Morty Force Five : The Return of Pirate Pete?

I woke up one morning dreaming of creating the illusion of falling to the earth in an escape pod using procedural generation... and so I set out to do it!

My first time messing with procedurally generated... well... anything.

Completely amazed I was able to get this to work!

video >

The continuing adventures of MORTY.  This is a direct sequel to the game I just finished... Morty's Adventure Quest : ABDUCTED! which you can play here > http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/morty-s-adventure-quest-abducted/14900/

Hand PencilWaaagh! Hand Knife Right
Development!

update 06.13.13

Still going to be a while before I can hit this project hard again... but have been doodling a little, working towards coming up with a SNES-style ship design for the overhead and side scrolling shump aspects of the later levels...

I'm by no means great at this, but I'll get there. Smiley

I'm ultimately going for something more along the lines of R-Type for the SNES in terms of artistic style for the later levels... as it has always been a dream of mine to achieve that kind of artistic prowess with pixels.

I feel like right now my design is still too "timid" when it comes to committing to lines and contrast and colors... but I'm not satisfied or done by a long-shot.  Would definitely appreciate any feedback from people more experienced in such things.

update 05.31.13

Added a GUI and playing around if realistic music would fit with such a lo-fi game aesthetic.  Music by me and LongFallBoots.

update 05.29.13

Finalizing the last little bit of this part of the game, which will part 1 of a few "levels" in the game.  This first one takes place from the perspective of a control panel of a ship following your decent to the planet, but you control the pod...  I know that's a bit confusing, but it's the cinematic choice I decided to make, so there.  Ninja

Pretty much the goal of this first bit is to just avoid the "clouds / wind current" as much as possible so that the escape pod doesn't explode.

I'm more than likely going to add a few more particle effects and maybe earth entry fire something or other...

The second level will involve the ship behind the pod swooping in and having to pick it up and will have more NES / SNES like graphics and gameplay as compared to this first level that is definitely more Atari-like.  After picking up the escape pod, you'll then control the bigger ship fighting through earth's defensive lower atmosphere droid bots... pretty much a shmup.

I'm not 100% about the view of the final level... I was originally thinking side scroller, but either way, it's going to end with you doing your best to land the ship. Smiley

There's going to be a lot more story-telling elements in this game compared to the last, so there will be a heavy amount of context for exactly what is going on.  I also want to include digital voice overs (albeit very lo-fi sounding and minimal) with this game... but I have to figure out how GM8 deals with MP3s first.

Anyhow.  If you have read this far, thanks for your interest and check back to the first post of this thread where you can play the full game that is the prequel to this one! :D

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:40:08 PM by devi ever » Logged
devi ever
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »

Taking a break from this while I work on a new Morty Adventure for GITD #33 > http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=33864.0
devi ever
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 02:36:25 PM »

Still going to be a while before I can hit this project hard again... but have been doodling a little, working towards coming up with a SNES-style ship design for the overhead and side scrolling shump aspects of the later levels...

I'm by no means great at this, but I'll get there. Smiley

I'm ultimately going for something more along the lines of R-Type for the SNES in terms of artistic style for the later levels... as it has always been a dream of mine to achieve that kind of artistic prowess with pixels.

I feel like right now my design is still too "timid" when it comes to committing to lines and contrast and colors... but I'm not satisfied or done by a long-shot.  Would definitely appreciate any feedback from people more experienced in such things.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 09:14:18 PM »

Perhaps a high light/dark contrast (in place of your more neutral greys) would give your ship's structure a little more punch. Stylistic redesign looks pretty solid so far.

You could consider tones of yellow or green if you want to give it a different feel than your typical shmup ship (reds/blues are more common to multiplayer co-op titles). Also, notice the little spot of yellow on the R-Type ship; it's a tiny thing, but one or two little details can totally define the stylistic depth of your ship.

devi ever
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »

Perhaps a high light/dark contrast (in place of your more neutral greys) would give your ship's structure a little more punch. Stylistic redesign looks pretty solid so far.

You could consider tones of yellow or green if you want to give it a different feel than your typical shmup ship (reds/blues are more common to multiplayer co-op titles). Also, notice the little spot of yellow on the R-Type ship; it's a tiny thing, but one or two little details can totally define the stylistic depth of your ship.

Good points.

I realized too that the resolution of the r-type ship was 4x bigger... so I scaled up (down?) and realized I had a LOT of wiggle room for more improvement. Smiley

Top is the old, middle is the current redesign, bottom is the r-type ship.

Still not quite there, but closer.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic