Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:06:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Coral Cave - a watercolor point & click set in Okinawa
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: The Coral Cave - a watercolor point & click set in Okinawa  (Read 17584 times)
poohshoes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »

Art looks amazing, puzzles could be good, music should be amazing.  I'm excited for the demo.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »

I want one of these prints so baaaaaaaad.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
iamwhatonearth
Level 0

Find me on tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2014, 07:22:12 PM »

Omg, I didn't know you were serious about it being done with water colors. That's amazing!

Find me on Tumblr: iamwhatonearth.tumblr.com
Find me on Deviantart: whatonearth.deviantart.com
The game I'm making: thetowncalleddata.weebly.com
Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:42 PM »

Omg, I didn't know you were serious about it being done with water colors. That's amazing!
In fact, we aren't really skilled with digital art, so watercolors are the easiest way for us, hehe!

Yesterday, Quiet evening won the poll so we started working on this illustration. The first step consists in sketching the final art on some printing paper. Why don’t we start immediately on a watercolor paper? Because we sometimes erase during this process and it may damage the paper.

And now, let’s play!
You can win Quiet evening, a watercolor illustration of the game The Coral Cave by answering those simple questions:

1 - Where does The Coral Cave take place?
2 - What color are Mizuka’s pajamas?
3 - Which member of the Coral Cave's team is also a comics writer?
4 - Who helped Ryoko-chan to find her mabui when she was a little girl?

(all answers can be found on the official site: http://thecoralcave.com)

Send us your name and the 4 answers at [email protected]
You have until Monday, December 22nd at 6:00pm (GMT).

Then we’ll draw a winner amongst all correct answers!

Are you ready to play?
Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »

Next steps of the process:

Step 2: pencils
After sketching the illustration on a printing paper, we use a light tracer to draw it on a good paper. We use a 8B graphite pencil and, for the paper, Canson C à grain 224g. The shadows and lights are defined during that step.

Step 3 : Watercolors
A simple contrast between a yellow tint for the inside and a blue tint for the outside creates a warm atmosphere.

And don't forget to entry to contest!
You can win Quiet evening, a watercolor illustration of the game The Coral Cave by answering those simple questions:

1 - Where does The Coral Cave take place?
2 - What color are Mizuka’s pajamas?
3 - Which member of the Coral Cave's team is also a comics writer?
4 - Who helped Ryoko-chan to find her mabui when she was a little girl?

(all answers can be found on the official site: http://thecoralcave.com)

Send us your name and the 4 answers at [email protected]
You have until Monday, December 22nd at 6:00pm (GMT).

Then we’ll draw a winner amongst all correct answers!

Only 1 day left to play!
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2014, 05:45:42 AM »

I have really enjoyed that gameplay video and its just a very small glimpse of the game.
The artwork is fantastic. The music is fantastic.
Keep up the excellent work!  Smiley
xfry
Level 0

JavaScripter, C# Developer, The world is realy 2D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »

I love this project Kiss the art is awesome, furthermore with only take a look to the art process i can learn so much and then practice a little.

Success is not the end of your goals ... Be the beginning of your triumph
Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »

Many thanks for your comments. Our goal for 2015 is to update our TIGSource Devlog more often!

The contest is over!
Here are the results!

Many thanks to everyone: we got 58 entries with correct answers (1-Okinawa, 2-Pink, 3-Josh Tierney, 4-Ryoko-chan’s grandma). It was very fun to prepare this contest and getting answers from so many people from around the world (along with very kind messages) was a beautiful present.

Merry Christmas!
Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »

Our work on the game is progressing. We have painted many new backgrounds & animations.
But there's still a lot of work. Fortunately it's a very pleasant work to do.

Meanwhile, we have edited a first teaser showing various scenes and places from the game:

We hope you'll like it.
Feel free to ask if you have any question about the game!
compostface
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2015, 11:03:08 AM »

It's nice to see new locations.  I especially like the dock area + machinery.

ZeroTec
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »

The mood and artworks of the latest trailer are phenomenal. You should really update this devlog more often to show us more of your fantastic drawings Smiley

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2015, 11:50:24 AM »

Posting to follow and hoping you keep putting new art here.

It's too beautiful for words, so I guess I'll resort to this:  Shocked

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »

Looks and sounds unreal!

Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 02:55:47 AM »

Many thanks for your answers!
We'll keep posting new art here. We should really update this devlog more often.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »

We should really update this devlog more often.

We all should...

Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2015, 01:09:32 AM »

Hello,
Chris Priestman interviewed us about our main inspirations for The Coral Cave.

If you want to know the artists who influence us on the game, please follow this link:
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/08/20/the-coral-cave-the-art-of-turning-okinawa-into-a-beautiful-adventure-game/

It's also about Okinawa, comics and the making of the game's backgrounds.
We hope you'll find it interesting!
Feel free to ask if you have questions.
nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2015, 04:04:17 AM »

I first read about this game a couple of months ago in an article on a Japanese gaming new site, and I'm happy to see that you guys have a devlog here on TIGSource! Looking awesome, you guys! It's really rare to see developers using traditional media for their games.
pistola
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2016, 02:51:56 PM »

The artwork for this game looks beautiful!

As an indie point-and-click developer/artist as well this game is very inspiring. I've considered & experimented with watercolour characters myself to get a more natural & authentically hand-made look but wasn't sure if i could achieve a consistent result. Your game shows me it can be done and that the results can be very pleasing, though my background painting skills need work to get to this level!

I notice there havent been any updates here for a while, i hope youre continuing development of this game. Showing your art process and engaging people with polls are great ideas for engaging people in the development of your game and something i hope to do on my next project.

Do you have any updates on the progress of Coral Cave?

Artist/Animator on Three Beards, a first attempt at a 2D point-and-click adventure game.
Atelier Sentô
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:15 AM »

nnyei : Thank you for the kind words!
pistola : your work on "three beards" is excellent: we follow it on twitter and we love what we have seen!

Sorry for the lack of recent updates: we have been busy with the game and with our first graphic novel (recently published in France).
We've also been busy working on series of articles for a French website, detailing the making of The Coral Cave. Writing in English is a little bit difficult for us but we plan to translate those articles. Here is the first one, about the birth of the project. We hope you will enjoy the reading!

We work with tangible techniques: pencils, watercolors, … Drawing on paper is what we like the most because we can use the same technique when we work at home and when we are travelling (mostly in Japan). There's always a watercolor box set in our bag: we sit in front a beautiful landscape and spend a few hours quietly painting it.

We usually work as comic artists but, a while ago, we decided to create a video game. We play games since we were kids but we never thought we would be able to create one. We believed that all games were made in 3D by huge studios. Everything changed the day we played Machinarium. We were amazed by this charming hand drawn game. So why not create our own point-and-click game with our drawings?

To make our task easier, we use Wintermute, a free game engine. It's designed to create point-and-click games so we can focus on the art and the story. Of course, making a game with watercolors implies some constraints and difficulties. We'll talk about them in a coming article.

The Coral Cave is inspired by a travel in Okinawa, a beautiful archipelago at the very south of Japan. We traveled there for one month, during the off-season so we were able to move freely from island to island, without worrying about booking in advance. It was wonderful to board ferries to cross the sea. Each island was like a new world to explore, with its small villages, decorated streets, secret paths in the forest, mysterious ruins on hilltops.

In Okinawa, we stayed on Minnajima, a tiny crescent-shaped island off the coast of Motobu. There are only a few houses on this island. During our exploration, we continued to come cross the same group of children. Trying to imagine their adventures we got the idea of the game and its main character: Mizuka.

Mizuka is a lively little girl. We gave her the name of a very good friend from Niigata who loves Okinawa without ever having been able to go there. Her daughter Saki-chan, inspired us to draw the character.

We really care about that girl and her mother. We hope to be able to communicate this feeling with the players.

Thank you for reading and see you soon for another article!
Feel free to ask if you have any question.
We also have a newsletter if you want to receive regular updates about the development.
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2016, 02:55:49 PM »

subscripted to the newsletter , so glad to see this devlog back ^^
(any link to your first graphic novel, curious about it)

Bon courage pour ce magnifique projet
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic