Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 03:46:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95148 times)
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 30, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »

Dooooooooooooooooood. This game looks cool!!! Great art  Gentleman

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »

Nice looking game, remind me about my old Gameboy

Follow us on playfield
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2015, 01:25:31 AM »

I didn't like how the ball and chain weapon worked, so I made a new one, the sickle chain.
With the ball and chain, you could only swing it at a fixed radius, so any enemies that got past would be free to attack you.
With the sickle chain, you can pretty much cover a large area as shown in the gif.
You could also still swing it in a circle as if it were the ball and chain so it's an improvement in every way pretty much.
Really satisfied with this, cause ball and chain was so boring to use.
The sickle chain is becoming one of my favorites.

This weapon is just amazing  Kiss
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »

A new tileset I threw together yesterday

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »

Aha I see, cool, thanks for that man.  Smiley

Also those new tiles are nice, but imo that hole looks a bit off just cutting into the ground like that.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: April 01, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »

Tileset of the day

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: April 01, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »

how much game do you have? i see new tiles enemies and art and shit like that all the time. but hows the "game" coming? i dont see many posts about it.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: April 01, 2015, 12:47:42 PM »

how much game do you have? i see new tiles enemies and art and shit like that all the time. but hows the "game" coming? i dont see many posts about it.
nice comment

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: April 01, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »

shut it mush you know what i mean ive had it with your posts

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2015, 12:56:08 PM »

Just make the game about using the sickle chain, that thing is the shit. "Sickle Chain Saga"

Maybe add that hurricane blade I remember seeing. "Sickle Chain Hurricane Saga".

K I'm done now.

Tiles look great by the way.

...chainsickle.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:54 PM »

This is a progress report I guess (for me too)

For a long time, I had been focusing on mechanics, mostly because I was scared / too lazy to make art.

A lot of the combat related mechanics / basics for the game have been implemented already, and I know for sure that it's the strongest part of the game.

Things like
A couple of melee weapons that have different attack styles, strengths and weaknesses and charge skills
The entire equipment system (how to actually equip things) for weapons, subweapons and addons
8 subweapons, 3 equipment pieces and a few misc things in various states of completeness with things like charge attacks and various alternate functions
more than 25 addons for the various weapons that stack (things that actually change the weapon up instead of being a stat increase)
A basic setup for a buff system
Enemy resistances to different elemental and physical attacks
Basic status effect system on enemies and for the player
A good amount of basic enemy movement patterns, attacks and passive abilities that can be mixed and matched
Tiling system and map making with a puzzle system setup with about 15 different puzzle mechanics that can interact with each other. I can already make full dungeons and areas already.

I've been working on creating puzzles here and there keeping them in an off section until I figure out which dungeon they'll be appropriate for. I'll be adding some more puzzle mechanics as I think of them. Some other things that I have to think about are how you'll find the treasures that are supposed to be scattered around the world, but before that is actually creating the world. I've done a lot of brainstorming for the story which I don't really mention in the devlog at all. Coming up with themes of the dungeons and the lore of the world and how it's all connected I guess.

Since I have an idea of what the areas will look like now, a lot of the work that needs to be done now is asset creation, which I had heavily neglected until now when I finally found an art style that I could make work. It took a good while to find one that didn't throw me into despair.
I can make a variety of enemies already by adjusting variables and shuffling some "behavior cards" around, and if needed I can add more cards easily as needed. After that it's just drawing up a few animations which I feel like I have a really good grasp on now.
Bosses might be trickier cause they're more complex and I've only done a basic one so far, so I don't know fully how that part will work.

I've pretty much settled on the 8 subweapons that will be / are in the game, and I still have to brainstorm a little to come up with some interesting addons for a few of them. After that it's just implementing the addons and an unannounced mechanic and they'll pretty much be done. This is big cause it's like the main attraction of the game.
My goal for the game is to provide a variety of playstyles and things to mess with so that the player will want to actually play and explore things and have fun fighting things and trying new stuff out. I always shoot for fun first when making a game.

Some things I still have to think about / work on
A progression system and how to create a difficulty curve and the point of exp, levels and whether it's necessary
Lots of NPC stuff including shops and quests
Resource management and the point of money
Story stuff / world layout / dungeon layout / puzzles and treasure locations
Interface stuff and how do deal with a save file and what gets remembered
Some kind of cutscene system, but I'm going to see how far I can get without it

I guess I have a good amount of stuff together to put together a game, but I'm not really good at taking the next step, I just like to add / refine mechanics.
Something that I have to work on, but I'm making progress nonetheless.
I still enjoy working on this game a lot and I want to make it succeed.

tl;dr I worked on mechanics first, and am now starting to focus more on art

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 01, 2015, 01:42:59 PM »

Really glad to hear you've got most of your ducks in a row! You seem like you have a blast making this game, so I have no doubt you'll figure out how to do the same while creating visuals.

If my suggestions mean anything, how about currency going solely toward buying temporary buffs (one-time-use, manually activated, all disappear if you die, though) from the overworld and gauge refills (hp/mp/sp) in special dungeon rooms? Maybe a "weapon of the day" (day is actually just, like, every 255 enemy kills) in the overworld shop, and if you get duplicate weapons, it just powers that one up?
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: April 04, 2015, 07:40:09 AM »

Worked on tilesets the past few days

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: April 04, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

I hadn't looked at the lighting system for a long time, so I wanted to see how it looked with the new tiles.
Touched some things up a bit

noumenus
Level 2

tired

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2015, 09:39:58 PM »

I really like this fog effect especially for games like this with a limited color palette. Usually it's a gradient which totally throws off the pixel art effect

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 25, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »

I want this game already
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 25, 2015, 06:09:35 AM »

Wow love that lighting! Looks great with the pixel art style. Makes me want to redo mine for my game!

Looking forward to see where you take this now.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: May 06, 2015, 08:06:33 AM »

Started building them tutorial levels.
Did some stuff with the map maker (autotiles, copy paste).
Fixed up a lot of item stuff that had to deal with organization.
Added a buff system.
New tiles / redid some old tiles.
New enemy(s?) somewhere.
Things that I can't remember right now.
Phased out potions (you'll still be able to heal mid-combat).

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: May 08, 2015, 03:23:54 PM »

Village Stuff
NPC stuff
Dialogue Stuff
Dungeon Stuff
SHOP STUFF
ITEM STUFF
DEMO STUFF?