Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:44:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95157 times)
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 08, 2015, 06:05:24 PM »

awesome man I love this! thats alot of stuff Smiley

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: June 27, 2015, 07:43:44 PM »

Been working on more story stuff and item ideas.
Some time in the future when everything is all finished, there will probably be at least 170 items in the game.
Each item will have from a somewhat big impact to a significant change to how people will play the game.

I also picked up making some music in famitracker, definitely check them out, I've gotten a lot better recently

https://soundcloud.com/fervir-1/templesong
https://soundcloud.com/fervir-1/quicksong

Workin on that demo too, the song fits really well with the temple area, or at least it was better than what I had before

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:06 PM »

Im so hyped for this game!
And the music is sick, I love it. That reminds me though, that I got to learn it better, too.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: July 01, 2015, 06:43:28 PM »

Enjoy.
Demo soon?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:49:05 PM by Fervir » Logged

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: July 07, 2015, 01:06:41 AM »

Recording some gifs for DEMO SOON

clewcat
Level 0

clewcat on the fly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2015, 01:54:10 AM »

To me it's like Zelda + The Binding of Issac. Well executed! Looking forward to play the demo Beer!

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »

In so many areas of the combat you seem to have a really great "game feel"-- I don't know if this has been brought up, but I really think you need to add a slash effect to the sword attack-- it seems to be the one area where things are lacking.

It's looking really great though, I love seeing your pixel art improve more and more

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »

I liked the clever use of placing a bomb and then sending it towards the boss thing with the boomerang.

I think the music for the boss didn't fit at all due it being too calm.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »

To me it's like Zelda + The Binding of Issac. Well executed! Looking forward to play the demo Beer!

Thanks! I'm still somewhat in awe at how BoI did things just so right.
I'm testing the demo out right now, getting lots of bugs fixed.
I'll be ready to release real soon

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I really think you need to add a slash effect to the sword attack-- it seems to be the one area where things are lacking.

It's looking really great though, I love seeing your pixel art improve more and more

There are attack effect for every attack with every weapon.
Maybe the sword effect is not noticeable enough?
Gonna start making more art again after the demo so look forward to that.

I liked the clever use of placing a bomb and then sending it towards the boss thing with the boomerang.

I think the music for the boss didn't fit at all due it being too calm.

As I work on addons and such for the weapons, there are some pretty cool combos like the bomb-boomerang combo that are emerging. I get excited thinking of the possibilities. Gotta start working on those weapons again.
I'm in a weird spot for music right now, so I'm using some old music at the moment. Gonna try to start composing more stuff later.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »

Working on polishing up stuff.
Adding things like this, sounds and fixing up a huge amount of bugs

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: July 17, 2015, 06:46:41 AM »

Just watched the gameplay video.

I LOVED THE ENDING SFX PLAYED WHEN YOU DIE!

So much... disappointment.

yanneyanen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: July 18, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »

This is cool! I really like the art and the animations. I only have the gifs to base this on, but it looks like the combat is really responsive too Smiley

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: July 20, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »

Demo is up
Check it out here

http://fervir.itch.io/elysis
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:36:26 PM by Fervir » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: July 20, 2015, 01:10:50 PM »

OOOOOH that chain is soooo radical!

qwertyhim513
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 20, 2015, 07:37:45 PM »

The Demo was quite fantastic though here are some minor gripes/suggestions I found in it. 1.) Loot goes through walls 2.) Picking up loot is tedious when it seems like you have to be directly on it(I think a small "collection radius" will be nice) 3.)I feel like the sword slice animation was a tad slow 4.)While I can appreciate not moving when swinging a sword/using a shield that is only when you wield huge "monsterhunter-esque weapons". Combat feels a bit clunky when simply swinging a basic sword/shield makes your character stay still. Perhaps like LOZ Link to the past where you can move with a shield.  Otherwise the demo was awesome.... I can't wait for the full version Smiley.
EDIT: I know there are items that let you strafe with shield/bow, but c'mon it's not like the shield is a Roman Tower Shield. Tongue(just a personal gripe ignore if you will)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 07:54:37 PM by qwertyhim513 » Logged
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: July 20, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »

1.)Loot through walls is already noted.
2.) Yeah, I'll implement that loot radius, doesn't make sense to have things so tedious.
3.) Have you checked out the other weapons? The katana is something you'd be more interested in, there is definitely more room for an addon to fix that if not.
4.) A few other people have mentioned this and I think I'll make it so that most weapons have some kind of forward attack if you hold forward. The spear and magic dagger do this. I think it would make the longsword a lot more fun to use if you could actually combo forward.

As for the shield and bow addons, for sure the bow strafing addon will stay, because it really makes a huge difference when you're able to charge the bow and move at the same time. I might do something about the shield though.

Thanks for checking out the demo, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: July 21, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »

Cool to see a new demo, I'll check it out soon.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: July 21, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »

Some preliminary stuff before I dive deeper into the game,

Text that doesn't appear in a textbox is blurry for some reason.

Still having no ability to move while using the sword and shield makes it feel pretty awkward.

After dying and Alt+Tabbing the game eventually a runtime error popped up and the game crashed.

The signs aren't really that funny and all the text makes the tutorial take longer than it should, reading a sign multiple times to learn the controls is kind of dumb.

Most of the pickups seem to be useless at the beginning, it'd be better if they were restricted to the equipment a player currently has and is slightly biased towards what they actually need.
e.g. at full health mostly gems and ammo, at lower health more health to help restore the player

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2015, 04:04:04 PM »

The text bit is something I need to redo.
I'm working on forward attacks with all the melee weapons, you're able to attack forward as well as diagonally now, check it out above.
I'll probably be giving the shield an innate moving ability as well.
I'll check out the alt+tab issue.
Still trying to figure out what to do with the dialogue in the game. I'm getting a lot of mixed opinions on the dialogue.
Your point on the pickups is a good one and I'll get into implementing that.

Thanks for checking out the demo
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 04:25:28 PM by Fervir » Logged

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:48 PM »

You now have more control over where you roll.
Before it was a fixed distance in one of eight directions.
Rolling feels better now.

I've been working on a few tilesets, here's one of them with trees that can now cast shadows.
The shadow casting works with more than just trees as seen in the pic below.

Can't quite get it to work with the character yet, there is some bug that I don't understand that's messing it up.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic