Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:35:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95159 times)
Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: August 31, 2016, 08:38:13 PM »

any plans for a new build any time soon? before the years end? Glad to see you're still working on this!

Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: August 31, 2016, 10:29:15 PM »

Just watched your video and it looks like a lot of fun, especially like how you've done the nock back on the enemies when they're hit

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: September 01, 2016, 04:26:28 AM »

@Dave_C
End of the year sounds like a goal to shoot for, lol.
Let's try that?

@Seaport
Thanks, I still remember how everything changed when I added knockback for enemies getting hit.
It was a good change

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #463 on: September 02, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »

New weapon, drew up some new animations for it and also added some more weapon particle effects to give the weapon more omph.

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: September 02, 2016, 01:41:36 PM »

New weapon, drew up some new animations for it and also added some more weapon particle effects to give the weapon more omph.

Beer! Nice! You definitely sense the strength of the action through the animation.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #465 on: September 06, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »

I've been working on some mechanics lately.
Re-implementing the movement cards, attack cards, passive cards that I explained a few pages back, and then adding knockback mechanics, values, and resists.
Fun stuff.

Here are some frogs, I didn't really have this type of movement in the previous build.
Basically it's the movement card, "chase" and a passive movement card, "jump".
So pretty much, "jump chase," lol

Also, the Construct 2 debugger is really cool, I started actually using it today.
It pinpoints exactly where the slowest parts of your game are which I didn't know how to do with Construct Classic.
I feel more at ease knowing which parts need attention instead of just having the project blow up without any clue at all as to how it happened

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 06, 2016, 06:37:10 PM »

I love everything I've seen so far! The variety in enemy types seems really cool and the frogs look nice. Keep it up!
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #467 on: September 08, 2016, 08:35:01 AM »

More new designs, probably around 58 designed out of 80+ or something?

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: September 08, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »

Holy crap, that's a lot of different characters you're designing and they all few unique. I'll keep a look out on your game.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: September 08, 2016, 07:42:48 PM »

your enemy designs are SOOO COOOOOL. dude, i gotta get some pointers from you one day, remind me hahaha

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 09, 2016, 02:46:41 AM »

As always, stuff is still lookin great Fervir.   Hand Clap

flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: September 09, 2016, 09:26:38 AM »

When I came to this thread this was my basic thought process...

Those frogs are cool!

All that different terrain is awesome!

Whoa 42 enemies holy shiiz!

...Fervire... *gasp* IT'S FERVIRE! Hey man! (Correct me if I'm wrong but you've been a visitor to my stream right?)  Smiley

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: September 09, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »

Yeah dude! lol, I don't really promote my stuff in other streams B)

Here's some progress

Going back and rewriting stuff in C2 has been really quick and at the same time, I'm finding ways to implement mechanics that I haven't even added before.
I added about four old features (charging melee attacks, bombs, throwing stuff, dust particles, pot breaking) and then a few new ones yesterday (throwable statues, sliding statues, bush throwing)
C2's on destroy condition and my more liberal use of booleans, and learning about getbit/setbit are letting me add new/old features everywhere.
I really can't even remember everything I added yesterday.

It's fun. I'm pretty sure that CC dying on me was better for the game in the long run Hand Thumbs Up Right

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #473 on: September 10, 2016, 10:19:15 PM »

This was one of the hardest animations that I've had to do for this guy.

I guess I had trouble cause I was trying to draw realistically instead of iconically, if that makes sense.
I would plan out the movements and then when I got to drawing it, I kept running into problems, where things were overlapping each other all over the place.
I was just having a bad time until I just stopped caring and started drawing frames to represent key movements, squeezing the most out of each pixel to emphasize that everything is moving in a certain direction.
Even if it kind of didn't make sense a bit.

So what I've taken from drawing character animations at this size, which may apply to larger resolutions is, don't draw what you think the frames are supposed to be, force them to be the thing you want.

I dunno, I'll probably have to do more animations to figure out what I'm trying to say, haha.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »

After more tweaks, I got the animations into the game in the form of two handed attacks, along with an extremely simple combo system.
It just checks what animation is playing and plays the other swing.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: September 22, 2016, 08:19:13 AM »

I've been adding a bunch of new combat mechanics, like the beginning of knockback and damage type systems, and for the first time in the game, multiple melee weapons can be equipped at the same time.
Also, frog

Eluardian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 22, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »

Looks great. That new approach to animation is a big turning point, it's a really strong animation.

What's your view on the player's survivability? Shrugging off huge crowds of mobs (like in that second to last gif) can make you feel super powerful but there's that risk of losing tension/ risk:reward. Where on the spectrum of one-shot to nigh-invincibility do you think you'll fall?

I like the shadow-flamey death explosion.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #477 on: September 22, 2016, 05:24:06 PM »

I haven't fine tuned the enemy difficulty right now, but I don't want things to be just shrugged off.

I imagine the gameplay being multiple mistakes over time will put pressure on you and that many mistakes can be avoided if you pay attention to and use the game's mechanics to your advantage.

Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: September 22, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »

I played through the build you released again recently, I found the enemies can break you down quickly if you don't pay attention. But if you're focused and defensive and come at the enemies with a strategy eg. quickly take out any enemy that is immune to standard attacks, then pick off enemies XYZ with the Bow and then finish off the rest with the sword ( especially in some of the busy dungeon rooms ) this led to success, but if I just ran in and tried to whack everything I was.. you might say.. thoroughly trounced!

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: September 22, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »

Haha, I'm glad to see to see when people use strategies and that they are actually effective.
I think it's good that it occurs this early on in development and I plan to make it even better as time goes on.

What I want to focus on too is not being to use the same strategy effectively on every group of enemies.
There's a lot of stuff that I have to balance out and think about as I get deeper into the mechanics throughout development

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic