Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:55:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Heart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]  (Read 88565 times)
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: May 27, 2014, 11:00:49 AM »

This is looking 'viewtiful'! ;P The new sword animations look great and I'm loving the enemy designs so far (especially the one that looks like a skull)! The thing with the camera you implemented looks good in the gif but you can never tell if it feels right without actually playing it. I'm not sure why but it reminds me of the camera movement in SotC, which could be really annoying at times.

Anyway, congratulations on getting this Kickstarted! Keep up the great work!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: May 28, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »

Greenlit! Congrats!

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 29, 2014, 12:21:34 AM »

Greenlit! Congrats!

Yay!  Tears of Joy

You got ahead of our announcement! Thanks a lot!

We are ecstatic, because it came out of nowhere and we were trying hard to get more views there. Now it's done, keep working, keep working.

P.S.: It's a pity that news sites are apparently keeping mum about this batch. Oh, well.

Twitter: @elorahranma

Heart&Slash is on PS4, Xbox One and Steam Early Access!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2014, 08:22:52 AM »

Was playing the new alpha. The game has really come a long way. Plays really smoothly and no more falling from that catwalk in the beginning!

I had three pieces of feedback:
- Would it be possible in implement a way to use the mouse wheel to switch weapons? I think that would be a lot more intuitive and faster while playing with mouse/keyboard than the default 1/2/3

- Also how do you use your special abilities? Like my most recent run, I had the Collapser body and going by the upgrades, I had some kind of teleport ability. But I couldn't figure how to use it.

- I think it would be more in line with the pacing and gameplay if you didn't stop in your tracks while reloading guns. Given how hectic the combat is, having to stop to reload your shotgun can be pretty dangerous. Now that could a way to balance how powerful some of the weapons are, by forcing you to find a safe spot to reload, but I think at least for some of the weapons, you should be able to reload on the go

Other than that, the game is excellent. Always fun to get a new weapon or body part, enemies are challenging, the visuals and new stuff you added looks great

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 29, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »

Was playing the new alpha. The game has really come a long way. Plays really smoothly and no more falling from that catwalk in the beginning!

I had three pieces of feedback:
- Would it be possible in implement a way to use the mouse wheel to switch weapons? I think that would be a lot more intuitive and faster while playing with mouse/keyboard than the default 1/2/3

- Also how do you use your special abilities? Like my most recent run, I had the Collapser body and going by the upgrades, I had some kind of teleport ability. But I couldn't figure how to use it.

- I think it would be more in line with the pacing and gameplay if you didn't stop in your tracks while reloading guns. Given how hectic the combat is, having to stop to reload your shotgun can be pretty dangerous. Now that could a way to balance how powerful some of the weapons are, by forcing you to find a safe spot to reload, but I think at least for some of the weapons, you should be able to reload on the go

Other than that, the game is excellent. Always fun to get a new weapon or body part, enemies are challenging, the visuals and new stuff you added looks great

Glad you are liking the changes! We are almost done with putting all the new animations into the bodyparts, and enemy design and animation is underway. I'm really looking forward to that, honestly, since I feel right now we have half a polished game (the character and part of the levels) and half a very old game (the enemies).

As for your feedback:
-the weapon switching with the mouse wheel is already implemented, but I still need to test it. But yes, it's going to be there.

-I'm aware a lot of weapons and parts special abilities are not explained. We will have to explain them in the menu texts, I'm afraid. I am waiting till al the parts are finished so I go through them in one go... The collapser, in particular, activates by evading in the air.

-Reloading while walking will not be easy to implement (as things are currently standing). This is similar to how when you attack in the air your vertical speed get overwritten, but I promise I will look into it. There are certainly ways.

Been Greenlit took us by surprise, so we are scrambling to try to get another build up ASAP!!!

Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »

Hello there!

This time, it is a post on the XP systems of Heart&Slash.

In our early alphas, enemies gave experience in the 20-80 range after being destroyed. The quantity was added to a counter on the top right corner of the interface and, when you had enough, you could go to the equipment menu and acquire upgrades. The cost for these would usually be from 100 to 500 "xp".

Unfortunately, this system failed at several levels.
First, a lot of people wouldn't notice that XP was being added up there. This is a feedback issue.
Second, some didn't know there was an equipment menu (Start button or Enter). An information issue.
Third, the upgrade costs were pretty arbitrary and hard to remember, since each weapon had its own scaling. This was a... I don't know. A lack of focus and consistency issue?

So we got to think about the problems. Obviously, the solution to issue #1 is giving feedback to the player when XP is collected. We have, therefore implemented "collectible XP" which travels towards the player. Add an effect when XP is actually collected, and now people should know they get something from defeating enemies.
Issue #1... maybe not solved, but toned down.

MOAR particles!

Issue #2 is still a problem. We added a note about it in the game's README and the Splash screen, but we all know what people do with manuals in 2014. Nothing, because most games don't include one.
I'm considering options, like displaying part of the upgrades menu in the pause menu and letting players switch from one to the other. Maybe we'll always display a visual aid when it is possible to buy upgrades, with a small part of the menu and the Equipment Menu button visible.
So, issue #2... postponed. Let's see if the XP feedback helps players notice there is an upgrade menu.

Issue #3 is the most important here. Our solution has been to revamp and further discretize the XP system. As we did with damage, the base XP will 1, and one must be a considerable amount. But we don't want players to get a new upgrade after each kill, either. So the base price for upgrades will be higher: 5-50 maybe. But that just adds noise and the need to check if the price for that upgrade was 25 or 30. Our players shouldn't care about XP until they can make use of it!

Our solution is to have XP accumulated until players have enough to fill a "bucket" (still deciding what to call these). And these buckets will be the actual currency for the upgrade system. This way, we can have upgrades which cost 1-10 buckets, which are easy to remember quantities, as well as easy to display without pesky numbers.
Currently, we have set a 10 to 1 XP to bucket ratio. Every 10 XP "bolts" (Ratchet & Who?), you get a new bucket and usually the chance to acquire some new upgrade.

Filled bucket

With these changes, plus the corresponding interface reworking, our XP system is easier to read and our upgrades easier to account for. Better for the players, and definitely better for us. We can easily design the upgrades cost with clearer numbers now. If we go for one basic enemy = 1 bolt, we can be sure that after every 2-4 rooms players will be able to acquire a basic upgrade.

Upgrade costs made easy

But that's not all. We don't want players to get absurd amounts of XP without ever using it, so we have set a (variable) maximum number of buckets, set to 10 at first. If players obtain XP above the bucket limit, they should still get something for filling a whole new bucket. In our case, the player will recover one health point, so saving up has its reward too.
This could become a balancing hell, but we like this new, tighter design a lot, so it will be worth it.

Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 09, 2014, 01:41:35 AM »

Hi there again

Lately we've been very busy! Juan and Thomas went to GameLab, in Barcelona, were we had Heart&Slash on display. Lots of people played it and we received great feedback. Tim Schafer was present and played our game! They tell me there were some other cool games there. The Spanish indie scene seems to be booming.

Before starting he warned: "I'm not much into action games. I'm more of an adveture guy"

So, leaving the fanboy inside us aside, most of the feedback we received was related to:
 - Navigation: the map was not clear enough when displaying unvisited rooms, and too small to give an idea of where to go when you're lost.
 - Rooms: they were all too similar, and it was hard to know where you were heading, or if you were progressing in the right direction.

The second one was a problem we were aware of, and were actually working already to fix. The level will feature 4 different sections, which are connected in tree form. I'll post about the map generation algorithm some other time. Suffice to say, as you get further away from the start of the level, you will reach different areas, each with its own personality.
We have just added the new enemy models, animations and behaviours, so things will hopefully look much better now.

New sections! New enemies!

The first, however, caught us a little off guard, because we were quite happy with the minimap. We decided to change the colours and transparencies in the minimap, to emphasize unexplored areas and corridors Heart has not navigated yet. And we added a new, bigger map in the pause menu, so you can check a bigger portion of the level easily.

It's still not Metroid Prime level, but we'll see how far we take it

We still need to add icons and other information (that's what all the empty space is there for), but we are pretty happy with the result. Still, let's wait for future feedback before celebrating =)

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: July 09, 2014, 10:51:05 AM »

Before starting he warned: "I'm not much into action games. I'm more of an adveture guy"

That's awesome you guys got Tim Schafer to play your game! Very cool.

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 10, 2014, 01:12:32 AM »

wwwooo! Tim Schafer playing a game that I backed! fuck yeah! Tongue

¡Enhorabuena!
Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 14, 2014, 03:49:16 AM »

That's awesome you guys got Tim Schafer to play your game! Very cool.

wwwooo! Tim Schafer playing a game that I backed! fuck yeah! Tongue

¡Enhorabuena!

Yeah, when I saw the photo (I couldn't go to Gamelab) I almost got up and jumped. And I have a broken leg.

By the way, small update.

Juan found a fix to an issue we had with particles placement at low framerates (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/moving-a-particlesystem-why-does-unity-interpolate-its-position.134283/#post-956160). It happened to be a bug in Unity present since 3.5... He also created a small script which greatly simplifies creating new sections, and I'm working on making these look better.

The game goes on!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: July 14, 2014, 04:18:58 AM »

How are you approaching UI in Unity?

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 14, 2014, 04:31:56 AM »

We are using nGUI, since we got tired of waiting for the UI revamp. Kike is in charge of that part of the code, so he will be able to give more details.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2014, 04:40:46 AM »

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah nGUI seems like the obvious solution until they finally release the new tools. I am very excited to see this game reach its final form. Is there any plan for local coop? Sorry if I have glanced over that part of the devlog.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:39 AM »

There WAS a plan for local co-op, however, it's not part of what we considered the release game, but of a planned DLC we will do if the game turns out to be profitable enough. Otherwise it won't happen, since it's a biggish amount of work.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2014, 05:46:29 AM »

Understandable. Wonderful that you have considered it though! I think it would work really nicely.

Elideb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »

How are you approaching UI in Unity?

Hi. I'll try to answer in some more detail.

We are using nGUI, but with a couple improvements/wrappers. I had to develop some tweeners for actions poorly supported by nGUI (a movement tweener relative to screen size is the most important).
Also, to properly support a safe area1 we wrapped nGUI widgets inside a HUDElement. Unfortunately, that piece of code has a very small bug which makes it harder to use than it should. But the fix would require a change in all HUDElement's derived classes. I'll do some of that in the future.

In general, nGUI is better suited for pixel perfect interfaces. Otherwise, its support is somewhat lacking, or some functionality will be simply unavailable.

If I find a way, I'll provide the components I have created as open source in my GitHub account, but it might take some time. Also, since I inherit and copied some of their functionality, I'm not sure open sourcing it is legally possible.

1 Safe area: a part of the screen in which no relevant interface can be painted. It is used to prevent issues with screen borders covered by the frame in some TV sets.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »

Thank you for the insight! I hope the reason Unity are taking their time with the new UI features is because they want to accommodate for every situation.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 16, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »

Time for a cool update... (I hope)

PROGRESS UPDATE: INTO THE SECOND LEVEL

I know it's been a while since I published something meaty, but the whole process of setting a team up and getting the organizational nitty gritty done is time consuming.

There's a lot of overhead when you are not yourself, but also a lot of cool things.

We are almost done with the first level of the game (out of three). Actually, the bug and feature list for the first level is becoming so small (it will grow again, specially the bug list, I know) that I spent the last three days balancing and polishing.

Kike is finishing the last batch of room variations for placement. The game has now much more variety (I would like more, but we also need to move on!), but these variations are taking way too much time to make. Of all the systems we created for the game, this was not automated enough, and the workflow (within Unity) is a pain..

So enter the benefits of actually having more people in the team: we told the artists (who were already doing a lot of scenery design) that we wanted them to greybox the level 2 (that is, to make basic versions of the level geometry) so we could start testing things and seeing what was going to be needed. They have been working on it for a couple days, and already we have a basic version of level 2 up and running.

Basically, Kike and I offloaded our main bottleneck to the artists, who happen to prefer this workflow anyway!!!!

(please note that the rooms are missing skyboxes that will hide room generation)

What you see there is a level that is structured differently than the first. In the first level we have many (around 60-70) small and medium size (still smallish) rooms. These rooms are divided in sets that change as you go either deeper into the factory, or farther away the ruined parts (so it's basically a branching structure).

For level two we are instead going for a parallel structure, with two level:
-An overworld with HUGE rooms (we have 10 of these, and there will be variations)
-A set of sewers with far less variation but easier to navigate

You will start in either the upper or the lower side, according to what boss you kill in the first level. And of course each level (upper or lower) will have its own boss...

Of course, there's a lot to do, but having greyboxes will allow me to start making things look better starting tomorrow, and to start testing combat in the new spaces, along with implementing whatever features we feel we need to make these levels more unique.

And finally, a couple of concepts to show how the levels should look once finished (did I Mention we have amazing artists?):

to commemorate moving into the second level (out of three) I have moved the progress indicator to 40% (remember most system coding is done, so it's about content now).

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: July 16, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »

I'd prefer the larger more open levels over sewers. Having played the alpha quite a few times, I think the expansive areas would be a welcome change of pace and allow for more fun platforming opportunities with the more exotic movement uogrades

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 16, 2014, 10:55:27 PM »

I agree, that's why we have open levels. (we ahve also something very cool and different for the third level!)

As things stand, the sewers will be shorter/easier to navigate but more boring.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic